loosing memory

Hey, just wondering if anyone can help.
i have a external 200 gig hard drive running through a usb
connection, im running windows xp home, and know what im
doing with a computer. but there is a problem..
Windows knows that the drive is there and works fine for a
while but as soon as i start running a large programm that
uses the external hard drive for more than half an hour at
a time, windows looses the drive then regains it without
making the usb tone, but that interupts any process that
is going on. can any one help.
2 answers Last reply
More about loosing memory

    Go into the Device Manager and click on USB Controller..... for each USB
    hub, look in the Properties section.... on the Power Management tab, UNCHECK
    the box which tells the computer to turn off the power to the USB hub to
    save energy.

    Alternatively (no, I'll change that to "In addition"), if you think your PSU
    (power supply unit) may be insufficient for the number of USB devices you're
    running (remember each USB port needs power), then upgrade the PSU as well!
    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "Lust84" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey, just wondering if anyone can help.
    > i have a external 200 gig hard drive running through a usb
    > connection, im running windows xp home, and know what im
    > doing with a computer. but there is a problem..
    > Windows knows that the drive is there and works fine for a
    > while but as soon as i start running a large programm that
    > uses the external hard drive for more than half an hour at
    > a time, windows looses the drive then regains it without
    > making the usb tone, but that interupts any process that
    > is going on. can any one help.

    sounds like the usb bus resetting itself or the drive is causing a reset

    update your driver for the usb ports firstsee if that helps

    second, get a cheaper internal drive to put large files or frequently used files on. usb drives aren't intended for continous use but for external storage. the universal serial bus is good for mice and game pads and occaisional data transfers but for major data moving is rather inadequate.

    an internal drive is cheaper than an external drive and has the benefit of a faster connection to use hence improved performance and is more robust and tried and true.

    it could be another usb device on the same bus causing the interrupt as well. just because the ports are different doesn't mean the devices aren't sharing the same bus. your mouse (if usb) could be causing the refresh or something else on the bus try connecting the mouse or drive to an alternate port to see if that helps as well

Windows XP