usb keyboard and mouse wont work

My friends computer starts up, with both keyboard and
mouse working until it comes to the windows loading page
and then justs ceases to work... they are both usb
connected and have worked on that pc in the past...
Can anybody help???

Try a different keyboard and mouse, one of them might have
gone bad. You can try PS/2 devices instead of USB, maybe
one of the USB ports is bad. It's a process of
elimination . . . if you can discover what the problem
ISN'T, eventually you'll find out what the problem
IS . . . Good Luck ! (Could be a driver too, you might
try booting in SAFE mode . . .)

sounds like an irq conflict with another device being loaded at windows startup or usb driver not loading correctly

if you have a ps2 keyboard and mouse to loan out to your friend plug them in instead and boot into windows and go to the control panel--->system--->click the hardware tab-----> then the device manager button

to view by irq at the top go to view then select to view by resources , then select irq and you'll have your irq's and the devices attached to them

look for the usb ports and see if another device is also on that same irq

if not then search for usb driver updates for your particular usb ports and apply them by right clicking the usb device and select upgrade driver