Epson R200 - Very Bad Network Print Performance

mack

I just installed an Epson R200. It works fine on the computer to
which it is attached. However, I also share this printer across my
home network with another WIN/XP and a WIN2K machine.

The network print performance is terrible. It takes several minutes
for a simple web page to spool and begin printing. The remote
computer attempting the print is pretty much locked up for the
duration.

Another symptom of this problem is that the status monitor (part of
the driver now) running on the remote system cannot connect to the
printer. I've selected the option to monitor remote printers, but it
doesn't make any difference. Also, the option doesn't remain selected
on subsequent uses.

I'm relativley certain there is nothing amiss in my little home
network. This printer replaced a worn out Epson C80 which performed
quite well as a networked device. I tried the latest driver posted on
Epson's web site, but still no dice. Anywone else out there
experiencing this problem. Any luck fixing it?

ME

Mack wrote:

> I just installed an Epson R200. It works fine on the computer to
> which it is attached. However, I also share this printer across my
> home network with another WIN/XP and a WIN2K machine.
>
> The network print performance is terrible. It takes several minutes
> for a simple web page to spool and begin printing. The remote
> computer attempting the print is pretty much locked up for the
> duration.
>
> Another symptom of this problem is that the status monitor (part of
> the driver now) running on the remote system cannot connect to the
> printer. I've selected the option to monitor remote printers, but it
> doesn't make any difference. Also, the option doesn't remain selected
> on subsequent uses.
>
> I'm relativley certain there is nothing amiss in my little home
> network. This printer replaced a worn out Epson C80 which performed
> quite well as a networked device. I tried the latest driver posted on
> Epson's web site, but still no dice. Anywone else out there
> experiencing this problem. Any luck fixing it?

I though that it was me that this was happening to. I have the R210 on
my computer and share a 1270 from another. when I loaded the R210
software on the other machine so as to share and print - problems have
arisen.

haven't sorted it out yet!

mack

I've been exchanging emails with Epson Tech support. Actually,
they've been very responsive. It turns out the problem, at least for
me, is caused by the Epson status monitor. It's part of the driver
now. I disabled it: properties/Printing Preferences/Maintenance/Speed
and Progess/'Disable Epson Status 3 Monitor', and all is well.

Well, not really. Without the status monitor you can't do two sided
printing. I'm still corresponding with Epson, I'll re-post if they
come up with a real fix.