Pioneer d606

I am running win xp pro and recently installed an external pioneer dvd burner the d606. At first it worked fine, then windows started to display it as a cd drive and it no longer works. Any suggestions? I feel like it could be a driver error, but it is suppose to use the driver from win update sp1. Is there any way to reinstall sp1?

Thanks in advance.

If this is a drive which uses USB and/or firewire the first thing to try is
to attach it to the alternative connection. Then at least we'll get a
better idea of whether it's the drive itself, or the cable or whatever you
are attaching it to (ie USB or firewire).

Try that first to see whether we can't narrow down the problem area a bit.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"whasel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running win xp pro and recently installed an external pioneer dvd
>burner the d606. At first it worked fine, then windows started to display
>it as a cd drive and it no longer works. Any suggestions? I feel like it
>could be a driver error, but it is suppose to use the driver from win
>update sp1. Is there any way to reinstall sp1?
>
> Thanks in advance.

this is a drive that uses either usb or firewire. I have it attached to firewire, but have tried both. The drive works fine on other machines. I tried doing a repair of xp by booting from the cd, then I reinstalled the win xp updates. The drive worked for a little while, I was watching a dvd. Then it froze and is back to showing as a cd-drive. Also, when you try to open it it says the request could not be performed because of a i/o device error. I have nero express installed and it can no longer recognize the drive either.

Thanks