  • Computers
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
May 20, 2004 3:46:08 PM

I'm trying to fix my sister computer ive been running into one problem after another she has over a hundered bad cluster on it is there anyway you can repear them. The system scan fixed them but can you make them go away.

More about : fix bad clusters

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 3:46:09 PM

The drive is going bad...are you sure you want to trust her data to a drive
that literally could die at any moment? Even if you get everything
installed, file corruption is very likely...then failure of the drive
itself. Just buy a new drive.

Bobby

"angeleyes53" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to fix my sister computer ive been running into one problem
> after another she has over a hundered bad cluster on it is there anyway
> you can repear them. The system scan fixed them but can you make them go
> away.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 4:27:09 PM

When you start getting a lot of bad clusters it's usually
time to get a new hard drive. If the system scan "fixed"
them it just flagged them so the operating system won't
attempt to put data in them. I guess you could get a copy
of SPINRITE to do a thorough check of the drive (which
takes HOURS) but I would advise you to save your data -
all of it - and do it today - and buy a new disk drive,
they're fairly inexpensive these days. Bad clusters are
many times followed by complete disk failure. Use the
time you have to save your data !

Good Luck !

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 4:36:07 PM

Thank you for your help but the c drive is formated im trying to get it set up to put her suff back on.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 5:06:11 PM

i can't buy her a new c drive i was just trying to get the one she has working.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 7:38:19 PM

If you still can not get the drive to work, then you will have to buy a new
one!!!