fix bad clusters

I'm trying to fix my sister computer ive been running into one problem after another she has over a hundered bad cluster on it is there anyway you can repear them. The system scan fixed them but can you make them go away.
5 answers Last reply
More about clusters

    The drive is going bad...are you sure you want to trust her data to a drive
    that literally could die at any moment? Even if you get everything
    installed, file corruption is very likely...then failure of the drive
    itself. Just buy a new drive.

    Bobby

    "angeleyes53" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to fix my sister computer ive been running into one problem
    > after another she has over a hundered bad cluster on it is there anyway
    > you can repear them. The system scan fixed them but can you make them go
    > away.

    When you start getting a lot of bad clusters it's usually
    time to get a new hard drive. If the system scan "fixed"
    them it just flagged them so the operating system won't
    attempt to put data in them. I guess you could get a copy
    of SPINRITE to do a thorough check of the drive (which
    takes HOURS) but I would advise you to save your data -
    all of it - and do it today - and buy a new disk drive,
    they're fairly inexpensive these days. Bad clusters are
    many times followed by complete disk failure. Use the
    time you have to save your data !

    Good Luck !

    Thank you for your help but the c drive is formated im trying to get it set up to put her suff back on.

    i can't buy her a new c drive i was just trying to get the one she has working.

    If you still can not get the drive to work, then you will have to buy a new
    one!!!

    > i can't buy her a new c drive i was just trying to get the one she has
    working.

Hardware Computers Microsoft Windows XP