etxernal USB2 drive makes computer crash

Tags:
  • Windows XP
May 20, 2004 3:51:09 PM

I have a Smartdisk Firelite external USB2 drive and it works fine if I connect it while XP is running. The problem is if I start the PC with the drive attached. XP will load, display the desktop and while loading the start-up applications it will crash and reboot again and again. Smartdisk says the windows XP drivers work fine for the disk and has no suggestions.
I tried to reformat the external drive but the problem is still there. I tried using the drive on another computer and it works fine, so there must be a problem with XP somewhere.
Can anyone help?

More about : etxernal usb2 drive makes computer crash

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 4:40:23 PM

ottoviz wrote:
> I have a Smartdisk Firelite external USB2 drive and it works fine if I connect it while XP is running. The problem is if I start the PC with the drive attached. XP will load, display the desktop and while loading the start-up applications it will crash and reboot again and again. Smartdisk says the windows XP drivers work fine for the disk and has no suggestions.
> I tried to reformat the external drive but the problem is still there. I tried using the drive on another computer and it works fine, so there must be a problem with XP somewhere.
> Can anyone help?

Open Event Viewer and check for any error or warnings
in both the System and Application Logs. Without the
external USB HD attached, in disk management, check if
a permanent drive letter has already been assigned for
the external USB HD. If not, then it might have to be
done to designate a place for it.
!