etxernal USB2 drive makes computer crash

I have a Smartdisk Firelite external USB2 drive and it works fine if I connect it while XP is running. The problem is if I start the PC with the drive attached. XP will load, display the desktop and while loading the start-up applications it will crash and reboot again and again. Smartdisk says the windows XP drivers work fine for the disk and has no suggestions.
I tried to reformat the external drive but the problem is still there. I tried using the drive on another computer and it works fine, so there must be a problem with XP somewhere.
Can anyone help?
1 answer Last reply
More about etxernal usb2 drive makes computer crash

    ottoviz wrote:
    > I have a Smartdisk Firelite external USB2 drive and it works fine if I connect it while XP is running. The problem is if I start the PC with the drive attached. XP will load, display the desktop and while loading the start-up applications it will crash and reboot again and again. Smartdisk says the windows XP drivers work fine for the disk and has no suggestions.
    > I tried to reformat the external drive but the problem is still there. I tried using the drive on another computer and it works fine, so there must be a problem with XP somewhere.
    > Can anyone help?

    Open Event Viewer and check for any error or warnings
    in both the System and Application Logs. Without the
    external USB HD attached, in disk management, check if
    a permanent drive letter has already been assigned for
    the external USB HD. If not, then it might have to be
    done to designate a place for it.

Windows XP