A7V266 Processor question

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hi
I just found out that my motherboard may support up to a 2400 Athlon XP. I'm
a bit confused about exactly which chip will work though. According to the
Asus website, I can put in an Athlon XP 2400+(model 8) (thoroughbred) with
BIOS 1011. The bit I am having problems with is the model number of the
chip. Is the model 8 some obscure version, or am I likely to be able to go
to a computer fair and pick up any 2400 thoroughbred and just pop it in
without totaling my motherboard? If not, how do I tell which model is which?

Any help greatly appreciated,

John

Paul

Splendid

In article <cbh07r$o7p$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, "John"
<oihoihoihpioy@pipo8ih.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I just found out that my motherboard may support up to a 2400 Athlon XP. I'm
> a bit confused about exactly which chip will work though. According to the
> Asus website, I can put in an Athlon XP 2400+(model 8) (thoroughbred) with
> BIOS 1011. The bit I am having problems with is the model number of the
> chip. Is the model 8 some obscure version, or am I likely to be able to go
> to a computer fair and pick up any 2400 thoroughbred and just pop it in
> without totaling my motherboard? If not, how do I tell which model is which?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated,
>
> John

I only see one 2400+ in this list.

http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm

Otherwise, there should be a unique code on the label on the
processor. I think it is called the OPN. Search in your favorite
web site search engine, for tables of values. Here is an example
of the info you would find:

http://www.soyousa.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=202

HTH,
Paul

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> In article <cbh07r$o7p$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, "John"
> <oihoihoihpioy@pipo8ih.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I just found out that my motherboard may support up to a 2400 Athlon XP.
I'm
> > a bit confused about exactly which chip will work though. According to
the
> > Asus website, I can put in an Athlon XP 2400+(model 8) (thoroughbred)
with
> > BIOS 1011. The bit I am having problems with is the model number of the
> > chip. Is the model 8 some obscure version, or am I likely to be able to
go
> > to a computer fair and pick up any 2400 thoroughbred and just pop it in
> > without totaling my motherboard? If not, how do I tell which model is
which?

> > Any help greatly appreciated,
> >
> > John
>
> I only see one 2400+ in this list.
>
> http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm
>
> Otherwise, there should be a unique code on the label on the
> processor. I think it is called the OPN. Search in your favorite
> web site search engine, for tables of values. Here is an example
> of the info you would find:
>
> http://www.soyousa.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=202
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Hi Paul
Thanks for the reply. That helps a huge amount. Looks like I'm going to need
a thoroughbred with a 266FSB and that pretty much limits me to the right one
for the job. Your links were really helpful. The computer fair guys don't
always know what they are selling, so its a matter of me knowing exactly
what I want to avoid getting the wrong chip. So fingers crossed for Sunday's
bank balance reducing exercise<g>

Thanks again,

John