A7V333 new AGP card JP1&JP2

I have a ASUS A7V333 rev 1.02 BIOS 1016. And I want to put in a ASUS Radeon
9600XT DVT 128mb AGP card. The box says "Bus Standard AGP 8X/4X/2X"

How do I put the voltage to 3.3 for the AGP slot? ASUS Probe 2 says "Slot
Characteristics: Provides 3.3V"
ASUS display cards consume more electrical power so that your motherboard
must be able to provide enough electrical current in 3.3V power to maintain
its normal operation.

On the MB jumper JP1&JP2 are in-behind the AGP slot which I haven't been
able to find what they do. There not documented! I think there to set the
AGP slot voltage.
Does anyone know if I'm correct? Is thier any documentation on these
jumpers and where?

Thanks everyone!

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:38:22 GMT, "Stringfelowhaulkie" <string@felow.haulkie>
managed to one finger type the following:

>I have a ASUS A7V333 rev 1.02 BIOS 1016. And I want to put in a ASUS Radeon
>9600XT DVT 128mb AGP card. The box says "Bus Standard AGP 8X/4X/2X"
>

>How do I put the voltage to 3.3 for the AGP slot? ASUS Probe 2 says "Slot
>Characteristics: Provides 3.3V"
>ASUS display cards consume more electrical power so that your motherboard
>must be able to provide enough electrical current in 3.3V power to maintain
>its normal operation.
>
>On the MB jumper JP1&JP2 are in-behind the AGP slot which I haven't been
>able to find what they do. There not documented! I think there to set the
>AGP slot voltage.
>Does anyone know if I'm correct? Is thier any documentation on these
>jumpers and where?
>
>Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure about the 3.3v for the AGP Slot but here is some documentation I
have for JP1 and JP2

Just above the AGP slot you will see 2 jumpers (J1 and J2). These are the
settings for the J1 and J2, with them it is possible to adjust the DIMM/Ram
Voltage.

JP1 [1-2]-JP2[1-2]=2.59-2.63V
JP1[2-3]-JP2[1-2]=2.88-2.94V
JP1[1-2]-JP2[2-3]=2.78-2.83V
JP1[2-3]-JP2[2-3]=2.95-3.06V
"De Oppresso Liber"
From Oppression Liberate

jroc® 7th Special Forces Ft.Bragg N.C 18/Bravo
****only thing easy in life is failure****
*******so get tough*******

Paul

Splendid

In article
<yP1Dc.515776$Ar.35920@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
"Stringfelowhaulkie" <string@felow.haulkie> wrote:

> I have a ASUS A7V333 rev 1.02 BIOS 1016. And I want to put in a ASUS Radeon
> 9600XT DVT 128mb AGP card. The box says "Bus Standard AGP 8X/4X/2X"
>

> How do I put the voltage to 3.3 for the AGP slot? ASUS Probe 2 says "Slot
> Characteristics: Provides 3.3V"
> ASUS display cards consume more electrical power so that your motherboard
> must be able to provide enough electrical current in 3.3V power to maintain
> its normal operation.
>
> On the MB jumper JP1&JP2 are in-behind the AGP slot which I haven't been
> able to find what they do. There not documented! I think there to set the
> AGP slot voltage.
> Does anyone know if I'm correct? Is thier any documentation on these
> jumpers and where?
>
> Thanks everyone!

The voltage is determined automatically. If the motherboard only had
3.3V I/O, for example, it would have a 3.3V plastic key in the AGP
slot, and only a universal or a 3.3V only card could fit in the slot.
If the motherboard slot is universal, having neither the 1.5 or 3.3V
key, then the motherboard can operate at 1.5V or 3.3V (that is what is
show in the manual - the picture of your motherboard shows a universal
slot). In a situation where the video card is universal (has two slots
cut in it) and also the motherboard is universal (has no plastic keys),
pin A2 (TYPEDET#) is sent by the video card, to the motherboard,
indicating the card prefers 1.5V. It does this by grounding the pin A2.

I believe your new video card will request 1.5V from the motherboard.
Looking at this ATI webpage, your hardware will be either case F or
case I at the bottom of this page:

http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html

As for the third voltage level, 0.8V, there is no such supply pin. To
make 0.8V I/O, the drivers are still running from 1.5V. The bus has a
parallel termination on it, and by voltage divider action between the
source resistance and the termination resistor, a half amplitude signal
results. One half of 1.5V is roughly 0.8V.

(Pg. 65 shows 1.5V drivers making 0.8V signals)
http://developer.intel.com/technology/agp/downloads/agp30_final_10.pdf

Just plug it in and let the designers worry about it.

There were video cards you had to be careful with, because they
weren't keyed properly. These are termed "illegal" video cards, and
they would be several years old. Most modern Asus motherboards have
an "AGP_warn" circuit, that detects the illegal video cards, and
prevents the motherboard from powering up, if it finds one. So,
again, illegal video card plus modern motherboard, is covered by
design.

The only really bad combination left, is some of the first 1.5V
only Northbridge chips were placed on motherboards without the
"AGP_Warn" circuit. A number of these motherboards were destroyed,
until people figured out that there was such a thing as an "illegal"
video card. For example, the motherboard I bought, the P4B (which takes
a P4 processor and SDRAM), was suspectable to damage by illegal
video cards, up until revision 1.05 of the motherboard. When I bought
my board, I was very careful to verify I was getting a 1.05
motherboard, with one of the first "AGP_warn" implementations on
it.

With the more modern hardware you own, just plug it in and
enjoy it :)

Paul

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:56:09 -0500, jroc <jroc@special-forces.mil> managed to
one finger type the following:

>On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:38:22 GMT, "Stringfelowhaulkie" <string@felow.haulkie>
>managed to one finger type the following:
>
>>I have a ASUS A7V333 rev 1.02 BIOS 1016. And I want to put in a ASUS Radeon
>>9600XT DVT 128mb AGP card. The box says "Bus Standard AGP 8X/4X/2X"
>>

>>How do I put the voltage to 3.3 for the AGP slot? ASUS Probe 2 says "Slot
>>Characteristics: Provides 3.3V"
>>ASUS display cards consume more electrical power so that your motherboard
>>must be able to provide enough electrical current in 3.3V power to maintain
>>its normal operation.
>>
>>On the MB jumper JP1&JP2 are in-behind the AGP slot which I haven't been
>>able to find what they do. There not documented! I think there to set the
>>AGP slot voltage.
>>Does anyone know if I'm correct? Is thier any documentation on these
>>jumpers and where?
>>
>>Thanks everyone!
>>

>I'm not sure about the 3.3v for the AGP Slot but here is some documentation I
>have for JP1 and JP2
>
>Just above the AGP slot you will see 2 jumpers (J1 and J2). These are the
>settings for the J1 and J2, with them it is possible to adjust the DIMM/Ram
>Voltage.
>
>JP1 [1-2]-JP2[1-2]=2.59-2.63V
>JP1[2-3]-JP2[1-2]=2.88-2.94V
>JP1[1-2]-JP2[2-3]=2.78-2.83V
>JP1[2-3]-JP2[2-3]=2.95-3.06V

actually they were undocumented..but here is the site I got the info from on the
A7V333...the same MB I use

www.pcmodshop.com/infoguides/ techy/a7m333/a7m333tips_page.htm

"De Oppresso Liber"
From Oppression Liberate