installing new hard drive

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My hard drive is defective, but still working, and I want
to replace it without losing any data or settings. I
can't seem to find a help article which will explain
this. I know how to install XP on the new drive, but
the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" seems designed
only for transfer to a different computer. Is there any
way to use this on the same computer?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Check with your hard drive manufacturer. They usually have software that
allows you to move everything from one drive to another.

"Gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My hard drive is defective, but still working, and I want
> to replace it without losing any data or settings. I
> can't seem to find a help article which will explain
> this. I know how to install XP on the new drive, but
> the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" seems designed
> only for transfer to a different computer. Is there any
> way to use this on the same computer?

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yes, I have this software, but I don't really want to
transfer the operating system, but would like to be able
to put a "clean" version of the OS on the new drive, then
transfer all the data. However, I would like to transfer
all settings from the original windows programs eg.
internet explorer, outlook, etc. without having to edit
the registry...don't know if this is possible...

Yes. But you can just install the new drive as master and
reset the jumpers on the old drive to slave. I would
partition and format the new drive and install the operating
system and applications to the new C: drive and if the new
drive is gig enough, copy the old drive to a partition on
the new drive. Then I'd organize and copy the files that I
wanted to keep to a partition on the new drive.
I would consider this an opportunity to get a clean OS
install/fresh apps and organize the my documents folders on
a separate partition rather than on the C: partition with
the OS.

"Gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:feaa01c43eab$bad27160$a001280a@phx.gbl...
| My hard drive is defective, but still working, and I want
| to replace it without losing any data or settings. I
| can't seem to find a help article which will explain
| this. I know how to install XP on the new drive, but
| the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" seems designed
| only for transfer to a different computer. Is there any
| way to use this on the same computer?

Yes, this is my plan, but I don't want to lose all my
settings such as internet favorites, firewall settings,
etc., plus I don't want to have to re-install all my
programs if at all possible. I think that is what the
files and settings transfer wizard is supposed to do, but
it doesn't seem possible to use it within two drives on
the same machine. any idea about this?

You can not transfer the original Windows applications to the new XP
install. The applications need to be installed correctly so that the new XP
install can use the applications correctly.

Follow the process to copy one disk to the other. Then do a repair
re-install.

> Yes, I have this software, but I don't really want to
> transfer the operating system, but would like to be able
> to put a "clean" version of the OS on the new drive, then
> transfer all the data. However, I would like to transfer
> all settings from the original windows programs eg.
> internet explorer, outlook, etc. without having to edit
> the registry...don't know if this is possible...

Nero

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003

You have to format and install your programes fresh.