Deskjet 970cxi color ?

I just started having problems with my 970cxi. When I try to print gray it
comes out purple. I have brand new ink cartridges and have made sure the
heads were clean and the whole bit. When the printer the second line comes
out as purple which I think is supposed to be gray "not real sure". If
someone else has had this problem how did you fix it?

--

Larry D. Gibbs
gibbsld@msn.com

"Larry D Gibbs" <gibbsld@msn.com> wrote in message
> I just started having problems with my 970cxi. When I try to print gray it
> comes out purple. I have brand new ink cartridges and have made sure the
> heads were clean and the whole bit. When the printer the second line comes
> out as purple which I think is supposed to be gray "not real sure". If
> someone else has had this problem how did you fix it?

It sounds like you are missing the yellow color in your cartridge. Try a
diagnostic self-test as shown in the following:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bpd07098

If there are not nozzle patterns for cyan, magenta and yellow it means you have
an issue with the cartridge. This can occur because of cartridges that are
very old, past their two year life. Check the "install by" date on the
cartridge box or check the warranty date as shown at:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bua02014

If the cartridge is still in warranty contact your dealer or HP for a
replacement. If the cartridge is beyond its life purchase a new cartridge.
When purchasing a fresh cartridge look for the "install by" date on the
package. I would look for a cartridge with at least six months remaining
before the "install by" date.

Regards,
Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging