Wireless Connection Timing Out with XP SP2

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
December 16, 2004 1:11:07 AM

I recently bought a wireless router (D-Link DI-514) and PCI adapter (D-Link
DWL-520) and followed the steps on their "Quick Installation Guide". At
first everything seemed fine. But the problem I'm having is that if I walk
away from the computer for a few hours and then come back, I can no longer
connect to the internet. No messages pop up, I just get "The page cannot be
displayed" in IE no matter what URL I type in. If I reboot, the problem
repeats: I can connect with no problem until the computer is left alone for
a period of time - then the connection seems to have 'timed out'.

I've tried Unchecking the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
settings" and disabling the Wireless Zero Configuration service, but no luck.

I really don't want to roll back to SP1 because I'm afraid I'll wind up
having to reinstall windows or something.

I don't have any networking experience, so please feel free to dumb-down
your answers for me.

Thanks in advance,
John
December 16, 2004 8:17:23 AM

anotherhiggins wrote:

> I recently bought a wireless router (D-Link DI-514) and PCI adapter
> (D-Link
> DWL-520) and followed the steps on their "Quick Installation Guide".
> At
> first everything seemed fine. But the problem I'm having is that if I
> walk away from the computer for a few hours and then come back, I can
> no longer
> connect to the internet. No messages pop up, I just get "The page
> cannot be
> displayed" in IE no matter what URL I type in. If I reboot, the
> problem
> repeats: I can connect with no problem until the computer is left
> alone for a period of time - then the connection seems to have 'timed
> out'.
>
> I've tried Unchecking the "Use Windows to configure my wireless
> network settings" and disabling the Wireless Zero Configuration
> service, but no luck.
>
> I really don't want to roll back to SP1 because I'm afraid I'll wind
> up having to reinstall windows or something.

Look in the wireless device Properties from Device Manager (System
applet in Control Panel) and see if there is a Power Management tab. If
so, uncheck the option for Windows to power down the device when not in
use.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User