Dual Gigabit Lan

Can someone explain to me the advantage and/or necessity of a dual gigabit
lan connection on the new Asus p5AD2 board? Thanks!
8 answers Last reply
More about dual gigabit

    In article <db4903feffb8bdd2e96feb9bd2f6656e@news.meganetnews.com>, "P"
    <PPalis@comcast.net> wrote:

    > Can someone explain to me the advantage and/or necessity of a dual gigabit
    > lan connection on the new Asus p5AD2 board? Thanks!

    You get two, in case one burns out :-) Seriously, the onboard
    peripherals on these boards are way overkill, and suggest the
    sticker price will be high. (I.e. Peripherals are sprinkled on
    boards, to justify the high asking price, and not the other
    way around.)

    With the amount of power that will be dissipated in the computer
    case, maybe you'll be placing your disk drives in a separate
    enclosure and Ethernet connecting the enclosure to your computer.
    That might be one use for it.

    Paul

    In case you need to connect to two distinct networks with different ip
    addresses with different high workloads. In this configuration, switches
    would be a risk if you really want to keep those networks separate and
    working at high performance.

    --
    Pole Dome Guitar Religion

    "If you choose not to decide
    you still have made a choice..."
    Rush

    In message <db4903feffb8bdd2e96feb9bd2f6656e@news.meganetnews.com>, P
    <PPalis@comcast.net> writes
    >Can someone explain to me the advantage and/or necessity of a dual gigabit
    >lan connection on the new Asus p5AD2 board? Thanks!

    I think you have to qualify the question with a specific scenario first.

    However, for a brief answer, I doubt if the vast majority of people
    would ever use both LAN ports and especially at gigabit speeds.

    But...... it could allow you to say connect two fast home PCs directly
    together with a crossover cable for a gigabit link, then the second
    port of one machine could go to your internet DSL modem and/or your
    normal 10/100 network. Saves a gigabit switch. I'd have certainly used
    this scenario myself at home if our two main machines had dual gigabit
    ports.

    Or ..... for a server in a larger environment - in my work for example,
    it would be very useful to have a gigabit link from a P5AD2 serving a
    localised gigabit LAN with a large amount of multimedia based content
    flying around, but as this LAN itself connects into a larger network and
    a very fast pipe to a WAN, a separate gigabit link into this would help
    the data flow. You can usually achieve the same with switches and
    routers, but a good quality Cisco setup is going to run into thousands
    and as building a dual channel onto a motherboard is going to cost
    practically nothing extra...... why not ??? .... for a server anyway.

    followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
    followed by 'net'

    "P" <PPalis@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Can someone explain to me the advantage and/or necessity of a dual gigabit
    > lan connection on the new Asus p5AD2 board? Thanks!

    This mobo has great potential as a low end server mobo like for MS SBS2003.
    On server configurations one almost always wants one NIC for the local LAN
    and another for the WAN(Internet). So the two NIC requirement is clear.
    The WAN NIC could easlily be 100BT but then why use two different NIC chips
    requiring two different sets of device drivers ergo two 1000BT NICs onboard
    and also Wi-Fi as one almost always wants that on a server these days too.
    Asus did it right and the additions didn't cost much.

    Note however that this mobo may get recalled as it includes the ICH6R for
    which Intel has just announced a recall.

    Ron Reaugh <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    > Note however that this mobo may get recalled as it includes the ICH6R for
    > which Intel has just announced a recall.

    Is it actually out yet? All the Asus website has is the specs and a picture.

    Nick

    I think the question is more: Why have 2 NIC's? Who cares what speed they
    are when they are considerably better interfaces than the older 10/100's.
    The GB Lan's auto sense speed and polarity and have cable testing / checking
    diagnostic abilities built in, so I would prefer 2 x GB to 2 x 10/100. Also,
    If you build a building today, what do you wire it for? Telephone? Fax? 10Mb
    LAN? 100Mb LAN? CAT 1, CAT 2, CAT5? Nope, none of those. CAT6 everywhere. So
    if you get new kit, what should it be? Gigabit everywhere 'cos if 100mbit
    aint obsolete yet, it will be very very soon.

    Why 2? Ahh DMZ, Multiple networks & Routing...

    Lastly I hear people say things like "But you can't get 125 MBytes / Second
    through a GB LAN at the moment if you try!" Who cares. If you run backups
    across a 100mbit LAN, your will be lucky to get 8 MBytes / second. With GB
    Lan, you might with older hardware get 12 MBytes / second & reduce by 50%
    your backup times (which is important if you pay someone overtime to sit
    there and watch it finish) I did & I get more sleep every night because of
    it.

    - Tim

    "Nick Zentena" <zentena@hophead.dyndns.org> wrote in message
    > Ron Reaugh <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >

    > > Note however that this mobo may get recalled as it includes the ICH6R
    for
    > > which Intel has just announced a recall.
    >

    > Is it actually out yet? All the Asus website has is the specs and a
    picture.

    Don't know.

    P wrote:

    > Can someone explain to me the advantage and/or necessity of a dual gigabit
    > lan connection on the new Asus p5AD2 board? Thanks!

    Multi-homed workstations/servers (i.e. computers belonging to more than
    one network, more or less what Gareth Jones posted).

    Regards
    Nikos

Asus LAN Connection Motherboards