Overclocking FX53 and wcpuid....!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi all,

Have overclocked my FX53 by increasing 2400mhz to 2600mhz in BIOS but wcpuid
and sisandra only report it as 2400mhz.....any ideas why?

setup:

amd fx-53 (socket 940)
asus sk8v mobo
2 x 512 OCZ 3500 reg ddr
Nvidia 5900 ultra 256mb
460w antec trupower psu

Cheers
10 answers Last reply
More about overclocking fx53 wcpuid
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Chris Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    | Hi all,
    |
    | Have overclocked my FX53 by increasing 2400mhz to 2600mhz in BIOS but
    wcpuid
    | and sisandra only report it as 2400mhz.....any ideas why?
    |
    | setup:
    |
    | amd fx-53 (socket 940)
    | asus sk8v mobo
    | 2 x 512 OCZ 3500 reg ddr
    | Nvidia 5900 ultra 256mb
    | 460w antec trupower psu

    You are most likely telling BIOS to change the miltiplier. Since the CPU is
    multiplier locked, BIOS ignores the change, and you run at what the chip is
    locked to.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    isnt the fx-53 multi unlocked...i believe it is
    "Chris Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Have overclocked my FX53 by increasing 2400mhz to 2600mhz in BIOS but
    wcpuid
    > and sisandra only report it as 2400mhz.....any ideas why?
    >
    > setup:
    >
    > amd fx-53 (socket 940)
    > asus sk8v mobo
    > 2 x 512 OCZ 3500 reg ddr
    > Nvidia 5900 ultra 256mb
    > 460w antec trupower psu
    >
    > Cheers

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Chris Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Have overclocked my FX53 by increasing 2400mhz to 2600mhz in BIOS but
    > wcpuid
    > and sisandra only report it as 2400mhz.....any ideas why?

    Why bother overclocking that chip in the first place?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:43:08 +0100, "Phil"
    <pjharding____24@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >"Chris Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Have overclocked my FX53 by increasing 2400mhz to 2600mhz in BIOS but
    >> wcpuid
    >> and sisandra only report it as 2400mhz.....any ideas why?
    >>

    >Why bother overclocking that chip in the first place?

    Because he can? ;p
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Robert Jackson Marley" <xxrabramson1xx@xxsi.rr.comxx> wrote in message
    > isnt the fx-53 multi unlocked...i believe it is

    I thought you could only clock down with that chip and not up..
    still good for shoving the fsb up tho
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Jason Cothran wrote:

    > "Chris Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > | Hi all,
    > |
    > | Have overclocked my FX53 by increasing 2400mhz to 2600mhz in BIOS but
    > wcpuid
    > | and sisandra only report it as 2400mhz.....any ideas why?
    > |
    > | setup:
    > |
    > | amd fx-53 (socket 940)
    > | asus sk8v mobo
    > | 2 x 512 OCZ 3500 reg ddr
    > | Nvidia 5900 ultra 256mb
    > | 460w antec trupower psu
    > |
    > You are most likely telling BIOS to change the miltiplier. Since the CPU
    > is multiplier locked, BIOS ignores the change, and you run at what the
    > chip is locked to.

    While the Athlon 64 parts are, I don't believe the FX series of CPU's are
    Multiplier locked. Quoted from the Anandtech article found here

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=2065&p=3

    "The new FX-53 part number has obviously not changed, as its model number is
    dependant upon clock speed. We will also not be seeing as significant a
    performance increase from 940 to 939 pin platforms as upgrading to dual
    channel from single channel will have a higher impact on performance than
    moving from registered to unbuffered memory. On the 939 platform, the only
    performance factor that separates the FX series from the rest of the Athlon
    64 line will be its 1MB L2 cache size. Of course, to help maintain its
    status as an enthusiast part, the FX series will also be completely
    multiplier unlocked."

    Now what his problem is...?
    --
    Kirbalo...

    K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
    1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
    SuSE Linux 9.0 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
    Linux 2.4.21-226-athlon
    5:16pm up 6 days 5:18, 3 users, load average: 1.57, 1.25, 1.15
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    > >Why bother overclocking that chip in the first place?
    > >

    > Because he can? ;p

    He can?
    Whys he asking us then ;)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

    > > >Why bother overclocking that chip in the first place?
    > > >

    > > Because he can? ;p
    > >

    > He can?
    > Whys he asking us then ;)

    I often ask myself the same question.....;-)

    I've asked for some info - thought that was what NG's were for!

    I thought the multipliers were unlocked but any changes in the BIOS do not
    carry through to windows...I'm not greatly familiar with Asus mobo's - does
    the sk8v have a jumper restriction on overlocking or am I missing something
    obvious?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    At last!!! someone with the same problem!!! (Expect I've got the FX51
    instead with ASUS SK8V)

    I can change the multiplier and the FSB... but ALSO LIKE YOURS the
    changes are not accurately reflected within Windows. Even when I set
    the multiplier to x5 (i.e. 1000Mhz) the system INSISTS on speed round
    about 2.2Ghz

    I will be posting my results soon so all can see the sort of anomolous
    results from O/C and hopefully provide some theory on why.

    Can I just ask Chris, what sort of temp does your FX53 run at ? my
    FX51 runs quite high idle 38-42 with a coolermaster HYPER 6
    heatsink.pipe / fan it maxes between 50-60 dependant on how much
    voltage I'm puttin into the processor.

    Also whilst I'm posting, how long does your machine take to POST? I
    have a 30sec delay AFTER the Via disk controller post but BEFORE the
    successful POST message.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <1088280468.6698.0@sabbath.news.uk.clara.net>, "Chris Turner"
    <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote:

    > "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

    > > > Because he can? ;p
    > > >

    > > He can?
    > > Whys he asking us then ;)
    > >
    > I often ask myself the same question.....;-)
    >
    > I've asked for some info - thought that was what NG's were for!
    >
    > I thought the multipliers were unlocked but any changes in the BIOS do not
    > carry through to windows...I'm not greatly familiar with Asus mobo's - does
    > the sk8v have a jumper restriction on overlocking or am I missing something
    > obvious?

    You can start your research here:

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_7203,00.html

    Our friends at AMD have made this as difficult as possible, by using
    a modular documentation system. Bits and pieces of the processor design
    are spread over multiple documents.

    This doc is the BIOS writers guide. Pg.229 has the coding for FID
    (multiplier). Basically, the FID minus 4 is the multiplier.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26094.PDF

    The Processor Power and Thermal Datasheet has some info on FID/VID.
    Pg.16 shows the Start and Max FID/VID for some AthlonFX models.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30430.pdf

    Now, this FID/VID feature seems similar to the FID/VID used for
    Cool and Quiet on the K8V boards. There is an interaction between
    having the ability to program the FID/VID at runtime, and the ability
    to overclock via setting the multiplier in the BIOS setting. If runtime
    FID/VID changing is allowed, it is possible the BIOS will be prevented
    (looses control, in the ACPI sense) from touching the FID/VID. This
    means the "Start" values will be used. If you can find the appropriate
    utility, you might even be able to change the multiplier while sitting in
    Windows. But the utility might not allow overclocking (it might go from
    say 800 to 2200 for example).

    On a Socket 754 board, you might install cpudriver.zip from AMD,
    plus a utility from Asus, to do this programming in Windows.

    So, the only thing I cannot figure out, is in this particular
    SK8V case, whether there is a BIOS option that disables FID/VID
    changing (no power management object supported via ACPI), so that
    in turn, changing the BIOS multiplier gives you direct control
    and the ability to overclock. "Cool and Quiet" doesn't appear
    as a term in the manual, and I don't know whether it works anyway
    with this board or not. I get the impression that maybe AMD had
    intended similar features to work across the Athlon64 family, but
    it is hard to find that info on the AMD web site.

    amd_cnq_driver.zip and amd_cnq_software.zip are used on a K8V board
    to change the multiplier while in Windows, as part of "Cool and Quiet".
    I don't know what would happen if you used this software on your SK8V
    - maybe having a restore point would be a good idea :-) The software
    might refuse to install, hard to say.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=K8V%20SE%20Deluxe&Type=All

    Presumably this driver is the equivalent of the amd_cnq_driver.zip file
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/Cpudriver.ZIP

    I hope even if my English composition isn't the best, that you
    can see some fragments of what might be behind this not working.
    If AMD made monolithic datasheets, this would be a lot easier to
    figure out.

    Good luck,
    Paul

Asus Overclocking Hardware AMD Motherboards