A7N8X Deluxe memory question

I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
sure.

Jeff
11 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe memory question

    What OS?

    TomC

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 05:48:51 GMT, "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote:

    >What OS?
    >
    >TomC
    >
    >"Jeffrey Schwartz" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message
    >> I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
    >> and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
    >> g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
    >> socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
    >> the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
    >> sure.
    >>
    >> Jeff

    Win XP, sorry ;-)

    "Jeffrey Schwartz" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message
    > I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
    > and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
    > g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
    > socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
    > the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
    > sure.
    >
    > Jeff

    I am running 3 x 512Mb in this mobo with no problems, and in Dual Channel
    mode. However, a 1Gb stick is needed in slot 3 to maximise it.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [watch spam trap]

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:22:29 +0100, "Doug Ramage"
    <RamageXX@UKacccountant.net> wrote:

    >"Jeffrey Schwartz" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message
    >> I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
    >> and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
    >> g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
    >> socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
    >> the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
    >> sure.
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >
    >I am running 3 x 512Mb in this mobo with no problems, and in Dual Channel
    >mode. However, a 1Gb stick is needed in slot 3 to maximise it.

    I was actually thinking using 1 stick until I get my paycheck 2 weeks
    from this Friday. I think my ex would like the child support before I
    buy memory for my computer, some people's priorities!

    They also expect me to pay the rent on time also, I just don't know
    about people these days. Very greedy.

    Jeff

    > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:22:29 +0100, "Doug Ramage"
    > <RamageXX@UKacccountant.net> wrote:
    >

    > >"Jeffrey Schwartz" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message
    > >> I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
    > >> and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
    > >> g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
    > >> socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
    > >> the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
    > >> sure.
    > >>
    > >> Jeff
    > >
    > >I am running 3 x 512Mb in this mobo with no problems, and in Dual Channel
    > >mode. However, a 1Gb stick is needed in slot 3 to maximise it.
    >
    > I was actually thinking using 1 stick until I get my paycheck 2 weeks
    > from this Friday. I think my ex would like the child support before I
    > buy memory for my computer, some people's priorities!
    >
    > They also expect me to pay the rent on time also, I just don't know
    > about people these days. Very greedy.
    >
    > Jeff

    No problem with a single 512Mb stick - it cannot run in Dual Channel mode. 2
    x 256Mb sticks would run in Dual Channel mode, and would keep your machine
    operational, if only a single stick were to fail.

    DC mode seems to gain about 5% - which may or not be noticeable, depending
    on one's circumstances.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [watch spam trap]

    Jeffrey Schwartz wrote:
    > I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
    > and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
    > g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
    > socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
    > the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
    > sure.

    Yep, fine. Dual Channel and all...

    Ben

    I do have three 512k memory sticks on A7N8X-E De Luxe.
    Total memory appears as 1 Mb.

    With two sticks, i get total memory 512k (dual channel)

    "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > Jeffrey Schwartz wrote:
    > > I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
    > > and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
    > > g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
    > > socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
    > > the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
    > > sure.
    >
    > Yep, fine. Dual Channel and all...
    >
    > Ben

    Jeffrey;

    At least on an A7N8X-E, DIMM 1 is not the black one, it is the middle one.
    Other than that it sounds OK.

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 04:18:46 GMT, "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote:

    >Jeffrey;
    >
    >At least on an A7N8X-E, DIMM 1 is not the black one, it is the middle one.
    >Other than that it sounds OK.
    >
    >TomC
    >
    >"Jeffrey Schwartz" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 05:48:51 GMT, "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote:
    >>
    >> >What OS?
    >> >
    >> >TomC
    >> >
    >> >"Jeffrey Schwartz" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message

    >> Win XP, sorry ;-)

    Thanks, I ordered 1 512k stick and my CPU hopefully they will be here
    before the long weekend starts. I look forward to upgrading my MB &
    CPU after 3 years.

    Jeff

    Natéag wrote:
    > I do have three 512k memory sticks on A7N8X-E De Luxe.
    > Total memory appears as 1 Mb.
    >
    > With two sticks, i get total memory 512k (dual channel)

    I'm not sure the A7N8X Deluxe supports DIMMs that small. :-p

    If you are not getting the full complement of memory, it is because you are
    using a double sided DIMM in the same channel as a another DIMM. Stick the
    double sided DIMM in slot 3 (furthest from the CPU).

    If you have 512 Dual Channel with 2x512 sticks then you are doing something
    wrong, I can't think of a configuration where that would be the case. What
    RAM (gonna need a full model number here) are you using? And in what slots?

    Ben

    You are right. 512 M.

    It was very late when I posted that message.

    > Natéag wrote:
    > > I do have three 512k memory sticks on A7N8X-E De Luxe.
    > > Total memory appears as 1 Mb.
    > >
    > > With two sticks, i get total memory 512k (dual channel)
    >

    > I'm not sure the A7N8X Deluxe supports DIMMs that small. :-p
    >
    > If you are not getting the full complement of memory, it is because you
    are
    > using a double sided DIMM in the same channel as a another DIMM. Stick
    the
    > double sided DIMM in slot 3 (furthest from the CPU).
    >
    > If you have 512 Dual Channel with 2x512 sticks then you are doing
    something
    > wrong, I can't think of a configuration where that would be the case.
    What
    > RAM (gonna need a full model number here) are you using? And in what
    slots?

    > Ben

Asus Memory Motherboards