A7N8X Deluxe memory question

Last response: in Motherboards
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2004 9:00:56 AM

I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
sure.

Jeff
June 27, 2004 9:48:51 AM

What OS?

TomC

"Jeffrey Schwartz" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message
> I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
> and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
> g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
> socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
> the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
> sure.
>
> Jeff
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2004 10:25:44 AM

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 05:48:51 GMT, "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote:

>What OS?
>
>TomC
>
>"Jeffrey Schwartz" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message
>> I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
>> and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
>> g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
>> socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
>> the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
>> sure.
>>
>> Jeff

Win XP, sorry ;-)
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2004 12:22:29 PM

"Jeffrey Schwartz" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message
> I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
> and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
> g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
> socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
> the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
> sure.
>
> Jeff

I am running 3 x 512Mb in this mobo with no problems, and in Dual Channel
mode. However, a 1Gb stick is needed in slot 3 to maximise it.
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2004 12:22:30 PM

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:22:29 +0100, "Doug Ramage"
<RamageXX@UKacccountant.net> wrote:

>"Jeffrey Schwartz" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message
>> I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
>> and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
>> g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
>> socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
>> the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
>> sure.
>>
>> Jeff
>
>I am running 3 x 512Mb in this mobo with no problems, and in Dual Channel
>mode. However, a 1Gb stick is needed in slot 3 to maximise it.

I was actually thinking using 1 stick until I get my paycheck 2 weeks
from this Friday. I think my ex would like the child support before I
buy memory for my computer, some people's priorities!

They also expect me to pay the rent on time also, I just don't know
about people these days. Very greedy.

Jeff
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2004 12:54:05 PM

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:22:29 +0100, "Doug Ramage"
> <RamageXX@UKacccountant.net> wrote:
>

> >"Jeffrey Schwartz" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message
> >> I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
> >> and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
> >> g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
> >> socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
> >> the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
> >> sure.
> >>
> >> Jeff
> >
> >I am running 3 x 512Mb in this mobo with no problems, and in Dual Channel
> >mode. However, a 1Gb stick is needed in slot 3 to maximise it.
>
> I was actually thinking using 1 stick until I get my paycheck 2 weeks
> from this Friday. I think my ex would like the child support before I
> buy memory for my computer, some people's priorities!
>
> They also expect me to pay the rent on time also, I just don't know
> about people these days. Very greedy.
>
> Jeff

No problem with a single 512Mb stick - it cannot run in Dual Channel mode. 2
x 256Mb sticks would run in Dual Channel mode, and would keep your machine
operational, if only a single stick were to fail.

DC mode seems to gain about 5% - which may or not be noticeable, depending
on one's circumstances.
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2004 5:09:14 AM

Jeffrey Schwartz wrote:
> I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
> and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
> g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
> socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
> the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
> sure.

Yep, fine. Dual Channel and all...

Ben
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2004 5:09:15 AM

I do have three 512k memory sticks on A7N8X-E De Luxe.
Total memory appears as 1 Mb.

With two sticks, i get total memory 512k (dual channel)

"Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Jeffrey Schwartz wrote:
> > I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
> > and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
> > g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
> > socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
> > the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
> > sure.
>
> Yep, fine. Dual Channel and all...
>
> Ben
June 29, 2004 8:18:46 AM

Jeffrey;

At least on an A7N8X-E, DIMM 1 is not the black one, it is the middle one.
Other than that it sounds OK.

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 05:48:51 GMT, "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote:
>
> >What OS?
> >
> >TomC
> >
> >"Jeffrey Schwartz" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message
> >> I would like to buy one 512k memory stick and install it in the board
> >> and at a latter date get one of the 2x 512 kit to bring it up to 1.5
> >> g. I assume that this is possible and I would install it in bank
> >> socket 1 (the black one). I would then be able to install the kit in
> >> the other 2 sockets. The manual seems to imply this, just want to make
> >> sure.
> >>
> >> Jeff
> >
> Win XP, sorry ;-)

Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2004 9:32:02 AM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 04:18:46 GMT, "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote:

>Jeffrey;
>
>At least on an A7N8X-E, DIMM 1 is not the black one, it is the middle one.
>Other than that it sounds OK.
>
>TomC
>
>"Jeffrey Schwartz" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 05:48:51 GMT, "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote:
>>
>> >What OS?
>> >
>> >TomC
>> >
>> >"Jeffrey Schwartz" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message

>> Win XP, sorry ;-)

Thanks, I ordered 1 512k stick and my CPU hopefully they will be here
before the long weekend starts. I look forward to upgrading my MB &
CPU after 3 years.

Jeff
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2004 2:02:14 PM

Natéag wrote:
> I do have three 512k memory sticks on A7N8X-E De Luxe.
> Total memory appears as 1 Mb.
>
> With two sticks, i get total memory 512k (dual channel)

I'm not sure the A7N8X Deluxe supports DIMMs that small. :-p

If you are not getting the full complement of memory, it is because you are
using a double sided DIMM in the same channel as a another DIMM. Stick the
double sided DIMM in slot 3 (furthest from the CPU).

If you have 512 Dual Channel with 2x512 sticks then you are doing something
wrong, I can't think of a configuration where that would be the case. What
RAM (gonna need a full model number here) are you using? And in what slots?

Ben
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2004 3:40:39 PM

You are right. 512 M.

It was very late when I posted that message.