K8V SE, HD/CDROM config help?

I'm in the process of changing over to the K8V SE Deluxe mb this week. I'm
currently running an Asus A7V MB and it's running flawlessly in the current
driver configuration. I have 4 drives, each on its own port connector on
the A7V, DVD burner on Primary IDE (ATA66) port, CD burner on Secondary IDE
(ATA66)port, and each HD on a Primary (ATA100) or Secondary (ATA100)Promise
port.

Now I notice that the K8V SE mb only has Primary/Secondary PATA ports and
one RAID Primary PATA port.
The manual states that no ATAPI (DVD/CDROM) devices are allowed on the RAID
Primary (PATA)port.

What is the best configuration below for my drives?

1. DVD/CDROM drives as master and slave (single cable)on IDE Primary port
with the 2 HD's as master and slave (single cable) on IDE Secondary port?

or

2. DVD drive(master) on IDE Primary port, CDROM(master) on IDE Secondary
port with the 2 HD's on the RAID Primary port? Can the RAID Primary port
support 2, PATA HD's on a single cable. I don't wish to use the RAID
function, I just want to use as 2 independent HD's.

I'm looking for stability and speed as I had with the A7V.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

"Bob Petruska" <petruska@mail.microserve.net> wrote in message
> I'm in the process of changing over to the K8V SE Deluxe mb this week.
I'm
> currently running an Asus A7V MB and it's running flawlessly in the
current
> driver configuration. I have 4 drives, each on its own port connector on
> the A7V, DVD burner on Primary IDE (ATA66) port, CD burner on Secondary
IDE
> (ATA66)port, and each HD on a Primary (ATA100) or Secondary
(ATA100)Promise
> port.
>
> Now I notice that the K8V SE mb only has Primary/Secondary PATA ports and
> one RAID Primary PATA port.
> The manual states that no ATAPI (DVD/CDROM) devices are allowed on the
RAID
> Primary (PATA)port.
>

> What is the best configuration below for my drives?
>
> 1. DVD/CDROM drives as master and slave (single cable)on IDE Primary port
> with the 2 HD's as master and slave (single cable) on IDE Secondary port?
>
> or
>
> 2. DVD drive(master) on IDE Primary port, CDROM(master) on IDE Secondary
> port with the 2 HD's on the RAID Primary port? Can the RAID Primary port
> support 2, PATA HD's on a single cable. I don't wish to use the RAID
> function, I just want to use as 2 independent HD's.
>
> I'm looking for stability and speed as I had with the A7V.
>
> Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

You can set the Promise controller for use as RAID or normal IDE in the
BIOS.

Jim M

"JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Bob Petruska" <petruska@mail.microserve.net> wrote in message
> > I'm in the process of changing over to the K8V SE Deluxe mb this week.
> I'm
> > currently running an Asus A7V MB and it's running flawlessly in the
> current
> > driver configuration. I have 4 drives, each on its own port connector
on
> > the A7V, DVD burner on Primary IDE (ATA66) port, CD burner on Secondary
> IDE
> > (ATA66)port, and each HD on a Primary (ATA100) or Secondary
> (ATA100)Promise
> > port.
> >
> > Now I notice that the K8V SE mb only has Primary/Secondary PATA ports
and
> > one RAID Primary PATA port.
> > The manual states that no ATAPI (DVD/CDROM) devices are allowed on the
> RAID
> > Primary (PATA)port.
> >

> > What is the best configuration below for my drives?
> >
> > 1. DVD/CDROM drives as master and slave (single cable)on IDE Primary
port
> > with the 2 HD's as master and slave (single cable) on IDE Secondary
port?

> > or
> >
> > 2. DVD drive(master) on IDE Primary port, CDROM(master) on IDE
Secondary
> > port with the 2 HD's on the RAID Primary port? Can the RAID Primary
port
> > support 2, PATA HD's on a single cable. I don't wish to use the RAID
> > function, I just want to use as 2 independent HD's.
> >
> > I'm looking for stability and speed as I had with the A7V.
> >
> > Any other suggestions would be welcomed.
> >

> You can set the Promise controller for use as RAID or normal IDE in the
> BIOS.
>
> Jim M

Then option number 2 above is my best bet?

> "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bob Petruska" <petruska@mail.microserve.net> wrote in message
> > > I'm in the process of changing over to the K8V SE Deluxe mb this week.
> > I'm
> > > currently running an Asus A7V MB and it's running flawlessly in the
> > current
> > > driver configuration. I have 4 drives, each on its own port connector
> on
> > > the A7V, DVD burner on Primary IDE (ATA66) port, CD burner on
Secondary
> > IDE
> > > (ATA66)port, and each HD on a Primary (ATA100) or Secondary
> > (ATA100)Promise
> > > port.
> > >
> > > Now I notice that the K8V SE mb only has Primary/Secondary PATA ports
> and
> > > one RAID Primary PATA port.
> > > The manual states that no ATAPI (DVD/CDROM) devices are allowed on the
> > RAID
> > > Primary (PATA)port.
> > >

> > > What is the best configuration below for my drives?
> > >
> > > 1. DVD/CDROM drives as master and slave (single cable)on IDE Primary
> port
> > > with the 2 HD's as master and slave (single cable) on IDE Secondary
> port?
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > 2. DVD drive(master) on IDE Primary port, CDROM(master) on IDE
> Secondary
> > > port with the 2 HD's on the RAID Primary port? Can the RAID Primary
> port
> > > support 2, PATA HD's on a single cable. I don't wish to use the RAID
> > > function, I just want to use as 2 independent HD's.
> > >
> > > I'm looking for stability and speed as I had with the A7V.
> > >
> > > Any other suggestions would be welcomed.
> > >

> > You can set the Promise controller for use as RAID or normal IDE in the
> > BIOS.
> >
> > Jim M
> >

> Then option number 2 above is my best bet?

That's what I think

Thanks