Move users directory in Windows 7

thord35

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I just finished a new build, my first, and I sucessfully moved my C:\Users folder to D:\Users and wanted to provide the URL that I got the instructions from so others could benefit. ( http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7 ) It worked perfectly for me. This is the second time I've used these instructions the first being September 2010 which gave me no problems that I could find. I was able to back up my data using SyncToy and make "images" of my operating programs using Acronis True Image from a boot disk. I recovered my data and my images several times successfully.

Only for knowledgeable users. Instructions should be first understood and then followed very, very carefully.

vball22

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
For what it's worth, I was unable to logon after following these same instructions on my 64-bit, Win 7 Ultimate system. Luckily the restore instructions worked!

thord35

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Nikorr has the best answer and it is the one I have been using for the past six months, successfully. Originally I had success with moving my User's account but then my system crashed and I couldn't restore from an Acronis image. I returned to Tweekhound's way of moving just the "Libraries" off the system drive and feel that this is the better way to go. At least until Microsoft comes up with a complete answer, hopefully in Windows 8.

thord35

TRENDING THREADS