P4C800-E Deluxe -- Booting from SATA when PATA drive is in..

Hello,

I have quite a perplexing problem that's mystified me for several
days. I'm hoping there's some kind of resolution.

I'm building my first machine:

MOTHERBOARD: P4C800-E Deluxe (Bios flashed and updated to 1016)
CPU: P4 2.8C (Northwood) 800 FSB, 512 L-2 Cache
HDD: WD 1200JD-00GBB - SATA (Boot Drive-mounted on Third IDE Master)
MEMORY: 2 X 512 Crucial PC2100 RAM (Will upgrade soon to PC3200)
VIDEO: ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 8500DV Video
DVD-CD: Sony DRU-510A DVD Writer (Mounted on Secondary IDE Master)
PSU: Enermax EG475P-VE-SFMA-470W-SATA
CASE: Antec P-160
O/S: Windows XP Professional

The Western Digital SATA drive has been installed on the 3rd IDE
Master which is the only option.. This drive is NOT Raid Configured
nor is it connected to either of the RAID Ports (SATA_RAID1 or
SATA_RAID2) but it IS connected to the SATA1 controller.

Relevant Bios settings:

Main - IDE Configuration
Onboard IDE Operate Mode = ENHANCED
Enhanced Mode Support on = S-ATA
Configure S-ATA as RAID = NO
IDE Detect Time Out= 35B]

Advanced - Onboard Devices Configuration
Onboard Promise Controller = Disabled

THE PROBLEM......
I've been trying to add a second IDE hard drive but can't seem to
connect it to any of the IDE controllers in a manner that allows the
SATA drive to be seen and recognized FIRST in order that it may boot
the OS. The on-screen message I receive prior to the aborted start-up
is: "NTLDR is missing. Press Control+Alt+Del to restart."

Do any of you know how I might solve this most perplexing problem?

Tia

Reply Address Purposly Altered to eliminate SPAM
Reply by Post Only Please
4 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 deluxe booting sata pata drive

    This might not lead to anything, but what
    exactly are the current Boot Device Priority
    settings in BIOS?

    What drives are offered for selection?

    In article <40E03419.29459463@Early.com>, NoSpamForWalt@Early.com wrote:

    > This might not lead to anything, but what
    > exactly are the current Boot Device Priority
    > settings in BIOS?
    >
    > What drives are offered for selection?
    >
    > nospam4me@notaol.com.invalid wrote:
    > >
    > > Relevant Bios settings:
    > >
    > > Main - IDE Configuration
    > > Onboard IDE Operate Mode = ENHANCED
    > > Enhanced Mode Support on = S-ATA
    > > Configure S-ATA as RAID = NO
    > > IDE Detect Time Out= 35B]
    > >
    > > Advanced - Onboard Devices Configuration
    > > Onboard Promise Controller = Disabled

    I don't understand this stuff that well either.
    You can try searching on terms like "ntldr" and "MBR" to
    find threads like this:

    http://www.techimo.com/forum/t37563.html
    references http://www.buildorbuy.org/win2000ntldr.html

    HTH,
    Paul

    I had a similar configuration. During boot, go into bios and change the boot
    priority to use the SATA drive as the first choice. Should work.

    GR
    <nospam4me@notaol.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have quite a perplexing problem that's mystified me for several
    > days. I'm hoping there's some kind of resolution.
    >
    > I'm building my first machine:
    >
    > MOTHERBOARD: P4C800-E Deluxe (Bios flashed and updated to 1016)
    > CPU: P4 2.8C (Northwood) 800 FSB, 512 L-2 Cache
    > HDD: WD 1200JD-00GBB - SATA (Boot Drive-mounted on Third IDE Master)
    > MEMORY: 2 X 512 Crucial PC2100 RAM (Will upgrade soon to PC3200)
    > VIDEO: ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 8500DV Video
    > DVD-CD: Sony DRU-510A DVD Writer (Mounted on Secondary IDE Master)
    > PSU: Enermax EG475P-VE-SFMA-470W-SATA
    > CASE: Antec P-160
    > O/S: Windows XP Professional
    >
    > The Western Digital SATA drive has been installed on the 3rd IDE
    > Master which is the only option.. This drive is NOT Raid Configured
    > nor is it connected to either of the RAID Ports (SATA_RAID1 or
    > SATA_RAID2) but it IS connected to the SATA1 controller.
    >
    > Relevant Bios settings:
    >
    > Main - IDE Configuration
    > Onboard IDE Operate Mode = ENHANCED
    > Enhanced Mode Support on = S-ATA
    > Configure S-ATA as RAID = NO
    > IDE Detect Time Out= 35B]
    >
    > Advanced - Onboard Devices Configuration
    > Onboard Promise Controller = Disabled
    >
    > THE PROBLEM......
    > I've been trying to add a second IDE hard drive but can't seem to
    > connect it to any of the IDE controllers in a manner that allows the
    > SATA drive to be seen and recognized FIRST in order that it may boot
    > the OS. The on-screen message I receive prior to the aborted start-up
    > is: "NTLDR is missing. Press Control+Alt+Del to restart."
    >
    > Do any of you know how I might solve this most perplexing problem?
    >
    > Tia

    > Reply Address Purposly Altered to eliminate SPAM
    > Reply by Post Only Please

    I would not only change the boot sequence in the BIOS, but disable the
    Promise controller and only use the Intel chipset for both SATA and PATA
    drives (using the same motherboard, I have two optical drives on the
    secondary IDE channel, two SATA drives in a RAID 0 configuration and one
    PATA backup drive on the primary IDE channel and boot from the RAID SATA
    drives. The Promise controller is a PCI device and there is a chance of
    reducing the computer overhead slightly by using the Intel controller.

    Good luck

    MikeSp

Asus SATA Motherboards