Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

P4C800-E Deluxe -- Booting from SATA when PATA drive is in..

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2004 5:58:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hello,

I have quite a perplexing problem that's mystified me for several
days. I'm hoping there's some kind of resolution.

I'm building my first machine:

MOTHERBOARD: P4C800-E Deluxe (Bios flashed and updated to 1016)
CPU: P4 2.8C (Northwood) 800 FSB, 512 L-2 Cache
HDD: WD 1200JD-00GBB - SATA (Boot Drive-mounted on Third IDE Master)
MEMORY: 2 X 512 Crucial PC2100 RAM (Will upgrade soon to PC3200)
VIDEO: ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 8500DV Video
DVD-CD: Sony DRU-510A DVD Writer (Mounted on Secondary IDE Master)
PSU: Enermax EG475P-VE-SFMA-470W-SATA
CASE: Antec P-160
O/S: Windows XP Professional

The Western Digital SATA drive has been installed on the 3rd IDE
Master which is the only option.. This drive is NOT Raid Configured
nor is it connected to either of the RAID Ports (SATA_RAID1 or
SATA_RAID2) but it IS connected to the SATA1 controller.

Relevant Bios settings:

Main - IDE Configuration
Onboard IDE Operate Mode = ENHANCED
Enhanced Mode Support on = S-ATA
Configure S-ATA as RAID = NO
IDE Detect Time Out= 35B]

Advanced - Onboard Devices Configuration
Onboard Promise Controller = Disabled

THE PROBLEM......
I've been trying to add a second IDE hard drive but can't seem to
connect it to any of the IDE controllers in a manner that allows the
SATA drive to be seen and recognized FIRST in order that it may boot
the OS. The on-screen message I receive prior to the aborted start-up
is: "NTLDR is missing. Press Control+Alt+Del to restart."

Do any of you know how I might solve this most perplexing problem?

Tia

F





Reply Address Purposly Altered to eliminate SPAM
Reply by Post Only Please
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2004 3:07:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

This might not lead to anything, but what
exactly are the current Boot Device Priority
settings in BIOS?

What drives are offered for selection?

nospam4me@notaol.com.invalid wrote:
>
> Relevant Bios settings:
>
> Main - IDE Configuration
> Onboard IDE Operate Mode = ENHANCED
> Enhanced Mode Support on = S-ATA
> Configure S-ATA as RAID = NO
> IDE Detect Time Out= 35B]
>
> Advanced - Onboard Devices Configuration
> Onboard Promise Controller = Disabled
>
June 28, 2004 4:26:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <40E03419.29459463@Early.com>, NoSpamForWalt@Early.com wrote:

> This might not lead to anything, but what
> exactly are the current Boot Device Priority
> settings in BIOS?
>
> What drives are offered for selection?
>
> nospam4me@notaol.com.invalid wrote:
> >
> > Relevant Bios settings:
> >
> > Main - IDE Configuration
> > Onboard IDE Operate Mode = ENHANCED
> > Enhanced Mode Support on = S-ATA
> > Configure S-ATA as RAID = NO
> > IDE Detect Time Out= 35B]
> >
> > Advanced - Onboard Devices Configuration
> > Onboard Promise Controller = Disabled
> >

I don't understand this stuff that well either.
You can try searching on terms like "ntldr" and "MBR" to
find threads like this:

http://www.techimo.com/forum/t37563.html
references http://www.buildorbuy.org/win2000ntldr.html

HTH,
Paul
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2004 11:29:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I had a similar configuration. During boot, go into bios and change the boot
priority to use the SATA drive as the first choice. Should work.

GR
<nospam4me@notaol.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:40df7997.74550750@news-server...
> Hello,
>
> I have quite a perplexing problem that's mystified me for several
> days. I'm hoping there's some kind of resolution.
>
> I'm building my first machine:
>
> MOTHERBOARD: P4C800-E Deluxe (Bios flashed and updated to 1016)
> CPU: P4 2.8C (Northwood) 800 FSB, 512 L-2 Cache
> HDD: WD 1200JD-00GBB - SATA (Boot Drive-mounted on Third IDE Master)
> MEMORY: 2 X 512 Crucial PC2100 RAM (Will upgrade soon to PC3200)
> VIDEO: ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 8500DV Video
> DVD-CD: Sony DRU-510A DVD Writer (Mounted on Secondary IDE Master)
> PSU: Enermax EG475P-VE-SFMA-470W-SATA
> CASE: Antec P-160
> O/S: Windows XP Professional
>
> The Western Digital SATA drive has been installed on the 3rd IDE
> Master which is the only option.. This drive is NOT Raid Configured
> nor is it connected to either of the RAID Ports (SATA_RAID1 or
> SATA_RAID2) but it IS connected to the SATA1 controller.
>
> Relevant Bios settings:
>
> Main - IDE Configuration
> Onboard IDE Operate Mode = ENHANCED
> Enhanced Mode Support on = S-ATA
> Configure S-ATA as RAID = NO
> IDE Detect Time Out= 35B]
>
> Advanced - Onboard Devices Configuration
> Onboard Promise Controller = Disabled
>
> THE PROBLEM......
> I've been trying to add a second IDE hard drive but can't seem to
> connect it to any of the IDE controllers in a manner that allows the
> SATA drive to be seen and recognized FIRST in order that it may boot
> the OS. The on-screen message I receive prior to the aborted start-up
> is: "NTLDR is missing. Press Control+Alt+Del to restart."
>
> Do any of you know how I might solve this most perplexing problem?
>
> Tia
>
> F
>
>
>
>
>
> Reply Address Purposly Altered to eliminate SPAM
> Reply by Post Only Please
July 1, 2004 11:14:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I would not only change the boot sequence in the BIOS, but disable the
Promise controller and only use the Intel chipset for both SATA and PATA
drives (using the same motherboard, I have two optical drives on the
secondary IDE channel, two SATA drives in a RAID 0 configuration and one
PATA backup drive on the primary IDE channel and boot from the RAID SATA
drives. The Promise controller is a PCI device and there is a chance of
reducing the computer overhead slightly by using the Intel controller.

Good luck

MikeSp
-----------------------------------------------
"GRNews" <grnews@cox.net> wrote in message
news:g1IEc.10472$mN3.1859@lakeread06...
> I had a similar configuration. During boot, go into bios and change the
boot
> priority to use the SATA drive as the first choice. Should work.
>
> GR
> <nospam4me@notaol.com.invalid> wrote in message
> news:40df7997.74550750@news-server...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have quite a perplexing problem that's mystified me for several
> > days. I'm hoping there's some kind of resolution.
> >
> > I'm building my first machine:
> >
> > MOTHERBOARD: P4C800-E Deluxe (Bios flashed and updated to 1016)
> > CPU: P4 2.8C (Northwood) 800 FSB, 512 L-2 Cache
> > HDD: WD 1200JD-00GBB - SATA (Boot Drive-mounted on Third IDE Master)
> > MEMORY: 2 X 512 Crucial PC2100 RAM (Will upgrade soon to PC3200)
> > VIDEO: ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 8500DV Video
> > DVD-CD: Sony DRU-510A DVD Writer (Mounted on Secondary IDE Master)
> > PSU: Enermax EG475P-VE-SFMA-470W-SATA
> > CASE: Antec P-160
> > O/S: Windows XP Professional
> >
> > The Western Digital SATA drive has been installed on the 3rd IDE
> > Master which is the only option.. This drive is NOT Raid Configured
> > nor is it connected to either of the RAID Ports (SATA_RAID1 or
> > SATA_RAID2) but it IS connected to the SATA1 controller.
> >
> > Relevant Bios settings:
> >
> > Main - IDE Configuration
> > Onboard IDE Operate Mode = ENHANCED
> > Enhanced Mode Support on = S-ATA
> > Configure S-ATA as RAID = NO
> > IDE Detect Time Out= 35B]
> >
> > Advanced - Onboard Devices Configuration
> > Onboard Promise Controller = Disabled
> >
> > THE PROBLEM......
> > I've been trying to add a second IDE hard drive but can't seem to
> > connect it to any of the IDE controllers in a manner that allows the
> > SATA drive to be seen and recognized FIRST in order that it may boot
> > the OS. The on-screen message I receive prior to the aborted start-up
> > is: "NTLDR is missing. Press Control+Alt+Del to restart."
> >
> > Do any of you know how I might solve this most perplexing problem?
> >
> > Tia
> >
> > F
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Reply Address Purposly Altered to eliminate SPAM
> > Reply by Post Only Please
>
>
!