P4C800E-DELUXE vs Intel 925X?

I see that Intel has released a new chipset, and there are new
Asus boards on the way.
Anyone have any advance info on the new boards or chipset?
I've got a P4C800E-Deluxe.... I doubt the upgrade is a ton over that,
but I'd still be curious as to reviews, opinions, etc

BobMarley <brianh*REMOVEFOREMAIL*@conterra.com> wrote:
> I see that Intel has released a new chipset, and there are new
> Asus boards on the way.
> Anyone have any advance info on the new boards or chipset?
> I've got a P4C800E-Deluxe.... I doubt the upgrade is a ton over that,
> but I'd still be curious as to reviews, opinions, etc

You'll need new CPU and memory. If you already have a fairly modern setup
I doubt it makes senses. OTOH I'm looking at the P5AD2 but I'm replacing
an antique.

You can go to the Asus website and check out the specs.

Nick

Didn't Intel have to recall last Friday, all of their 915G/P and 925X
chipsets due to a manufacturing defect that slipped though testing?

BobMarley wrote:

> I see that Intel has released a new chipset, and there are new
> Asus boards on the way.
> Anyone have any advance info on the new boards or chipset?
> I've got a P4C800E-Deluxe.... I doubt the upgrade is a ton over that,
> but I'd still be curious as to reviews, opinions, etc

Paul

Splendid

In article <t5n0e0pc8uggc21r91voen06tebjtsok55@4ax.com>, BobMarley
<brianh*REMOVEFOREMAIL*@conterra.com> wrote:

> I see that Intel has released a new chipset, and there are new
> Asus boards on the way.
> Anyone have any advance info on the new boards or chipset?
> I've got a P4C800E-Deluxe.... I doubt the upgrade is a ton over that,
> but I'd still be curious as to reviews, opinions, etc

http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=2088&p=12

The only reservation I have is about the socket. The LGA775
uses spring loaded pins, and the processor has contacts rather
than pins like it used to have. If you are the kind of user
who is constantly changing out the processor, then LGA775 might
not be for you. If, on the other hand, you insert a processor and
leave it for the life of the motherboard, then LGA775 won't be
an issue for you. This is a way for Intel to save money on
manufacturing costs (notice that AMD still uses ZIF sockets
for its high pin count processors). I hope there is a repair
procedure for the spring loaded pins, so motherboards won't
be thrown away when the socket gets messed up.

The other question, is the price for DDR2. Memory is expensive
enough, even if you want to fill a four slot machine with decent
DDR. The price of memory could swamp out any other considerations,
assuming you aren't buying the very top of the line processor.

For those people who like overclocking, you might also want to
read up on any articles that address the new clock locking
techniques used on the new processors/chipsets. It makes the
AMD products all the more attractive.

Paul

"Walt" <NoSpamForWalt@Early.com> wrote in message
> Didn't Intel have to recall last Friday, all of their 915G/P and 925X
> chipsets due to a manufacturing defect that slipped though testing?
>
> BobMarley wrote:
> >
> > I see that Intel has released a new chipset, and there are new
> > Asus boards on the way.
> > Anyone have any advance info on the new boards or chipset?
> > I've got a P4C800E-Deluxe.... I doubt the upgrade is a ton over that,
> > but I'd still be curious as to reviews, opinions, etc

Yea, but it had nothing to do with the design of the chip, and they expect
that no units made it into the hands of customers.