Worth the upgrade?

Hi all,

I could use some advice. I am running Windows XP on an A7n8x-deluxe running
1005 with an old XP1700 cpu clocked at 2100. I am planning to upgrade soon
to a nice shiny 3200 cpu and an 9800Pro graphics card, but it has occurred
to me that my pair of aging deskstar HDDs could probably use replacing too.

Is it worth going for a S-ATA drive to replace (or augment) them with, as I
have seen mixed opinions on the merits of S-ATA so far. Also, if I do go
for S-ATA, will I need to muck around with BIOS/firmware/whatever?

Thanks all, I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Many S-ATA drives now, are the _SAME_ drives internal, as their P-ATA
versions.
Both Western Digital and Maxtor have just slapped a S-ATA adaptor on the
drive.
If it is still 7200RPM, 8Meg cache, both P-ATA and S-ATA will run the same
speed.

The theroritical max on P-ATA is 133, and S-ATA is 150. But if the drive
cannot spit out the data any faster then 100, both interfaces will act the
same.

You will need to go to a 10k or faster S-ATA drive to gain any speed, but
then again, you are just re-inventing the SCSI drive.

Il Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:25:39 +0000, Vormulac ha scritto:

> Hi all,
>
> I could use some advice. I am running Windows XP on an A7n8x-deluxe running
> 1005 with an old XP1700 cpu clocked at 2100. I am planning to upgrade soon
> to a nice shiny 3200 cpu and an 9800Pro graphics card

Are u sure it worth the money?

I would wait few month and go Athlon64. The improve in REAL performance
compared to your system are pretty much nothing.

>, but it has occurred
> to me that my pair of aging deskstar HDDs could probably use replacing too.
>
> Is it worth going for a S-ATA drive to replace (or augment) them with, as I
> have seen mixed opinions on the merits of S-ATA so far.

Yes, this is worth the cheap money u have to spend. SATA is absolutely
faster and go just for SATA replacing your old drives. Do not mix
drives. Go also for RAID 0: it is worth the boost in performance!

> Also, if I do go
> for S-ATA, will I need to muck around with BIOS/firmware/whatever?

No bios issues!

Isn't it more difficult to install XP with SATA? If so, how do you install
XP with SATA? The same exact way that you do from scratch with IDE hard
drives?

In article <nZ_Dc.107064$2i5.6484@attbi_s52>, Anonymous@none.com says...
> Isn't it more difficult to install XP with SATA? If so, how do you install
> XP with SATA? The same exact way that you do from scratch with IDE hard
> drives?

You press F6 during the install and feed it the Floppy with the SATA
drivers on it, the rest is the same from that point.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Il Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:13:07 +0000, Travis King ha scritto:

> Isn't it more difficult to install XP with SATA? If so, how do you install
> XP with SATA? The same exact way that you do from scratch with IDE hard
> drives?

U just need the SATA drivers floppy and u press F6 at boot time when
install ask for third part drivers.

That's all.

If your motherboard do not come with a floppy, u just need to build one
yourself before install using the latest drivers on SI site or on your
install CD.

Vormulac wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I could use some advice. I am running Windows XP on an A7n8x-deluxe
> running 1005 with an old XP1700 cpu clocked at 2100. I am planning to
> upgrade soon to a nice shiny 3200 cpu and an 9800Pro graphics card, but
> it has occurred to me that my pair of aging deskstar HDDs could probably
> use replacing too.
>
> Is it worth going for a S-ATA drive to replace (or augment) them with, as
> I have seen mixed opinions on the merits of S-ATA so far. Also, if I do go
> for S-ATA, will I need to muck around with BIOS/firmware/whatever?
>
> Thanks all, I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

SATA is just a different interface, there are no noticeable performance
gains due to the controller itself.

However, cabling is much neater, and it's the way of the future. I would go
SATA (well, I did. I have a WD360GD and a WD2500JD). That way you can be
assured native support on new motherboards. Hopefully IDE will be phased
out soon (I'd like to see native SATA support in the chipsets, and boards
without IDE as it will make routing much easier)

You should be ok with the BIOS, but I do recommend the latest. And a recent
SATA driver too.

As to whether the upgrade is worth it or not... Probably. But an
overclocked mobile 2500 would probably be friendlier on the wallet.

To fully appreciate the XP3200+ on the nForce2, you'll want PC3200.

Ben

In article <2kbpvbFfoijU1@uni-berlin.de>, spam@hotmail.com says...
> SATA is just a different interface, there are no noticeable performance
> gains due to the controller itself.

SATA is much faster than standard IDE/133.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Leythos wrote:
> In article <2kbpvbFfoijU1@uni-berlin.de>, spam@hotmail.com says...
>> SATA is just a different interface, there are no noticeable performance
>> gains due to the controller itself.
>
> SATA is much faster than standard IDE/133.

Not really.

Take my SiI3112A which is plugged into a PCI bus - it's limited to 133MB/s,
as is ATA133.

Oh, but lets assume the SATA controller is native, and that I can get
150MB/s. That is an increase of 12.5%, hardly "much". However, lets assume
it was a 1000MB/s, would that makes the drives any faster? No. It is the
mechanics of the drives that limits performance, not the interface.

If you compare a WD2500JB and a WD2500JD, they have about the same
performance, however, one is SATA and one is ATA. They're the same drive,
of course they have the same performance, the controller is not the limiting
factor.

Ben

> Is it worth going for a S-ATA drive to replace (or augment) them with, as
>> I have seen mixed opinions on the merits of S-ATA so far. Also, if I do go
>> for S-ATA, will I need to muck around with BIOS/firmware/whatever?
>>
>> Thanks all, I appreciate any advice you have to offer.
>
> SATA is just a different interface, there are no noticeable performance
> gains due to the controller itself.

That is not true. It improve performance a lot. Best sustained transfer,
best throughput, a feel of improved performance in every day use.

If u say so, u really never worked with SATA.

The difference between IDE and SATA is like the difference between the day
and the night. BTW, the interface is totally different and improved. Not
just simple drive swapping between interface ::-(((

Il Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:57:41 +0100, Ben Pope ha scritto:

> Leythos wrote:
>> In article <2kbpvbFfoijU1@uni-berlin.de>, spam@hotmail.com says...
>>> SATA is just a different interface, there are no noticeable performance
>>> gains due to the controller itself.
>>
>> SATA is much faster than standard IDE/133.
>
> Not really.

Please...

Tim

Yup, dead right.

I believe the only drives with native SATA are the seagate latest models (.7
and .8's) & the newly announced but not yet available Maxtor Maxline III's
with 16 MB cache. Even the Raptor apparently has an IDE / SATA bridge in it.
The Maxline drive is apparently about as fast as the raptor... so the speed
is in the drive, not the interface at the moment.

There is a reference to an interesting article over at www.2cpu.com at the
moment that puts a lot of peoples wacky ideas back on the straight:

The review is at:

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200406/20040625TCQ_1.html

- Tim

"Sept1967" <sept1967@highstream.(Erase)net> wrote in message
> Many S-ATA drives now, are the _SAME_ drives internal, as their P-ATA
> versions.
> Both Western Digital and Maxtor have just slapped a S-ATA adaptor on the
> drive.
> If it is still 7200RPM, 8Meg cache, both P-ATA and S-ATA will run the same
> speed.
>
> The theroritical max on P-ATA is 133, and S-ATA is 150. But if the drive
> cannot spit out the data any faster then 100, both interfaces will act the
> same.
>
> You will need to go to a 10k or faster S-ATA drive to gain any speed, but
> then again, you are just re-inventing the SCSI drive.
>
> "Vormulac" <tristanluscombe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I could use some advice. I am running Windows XP on an A7n8x-deluxe
> running
>> 1005 with an old XP1700 cpu clocked at 2100. I am planning to upgrade
>> soon
>> to a nice shiny 3200 cpu and an 9800Pro graphics card, but it has
>> occurred
>> to me that my pair of aging deskstar HDDs could probably use replacing
> too.
>>
>> Is it worth going for a S-ATA drive to replace (or augment) them with, as
>> have seen mixed opinions on the merits of S-ATA so far. Also, if I do go
>> for S-ATA, will I need to muck around with BIOS/firmware/whatever?
>>
>> Thanks all, I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 01:22:10 GMT, in <alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus>,
Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:

> In article <2kbpvbFfoijU1@uni-berlin.de>, spam@hotmail.com says...
> > SATA is just a different interface, there are no noticeable performance
> > gains due to the controller itself.
>
> SATA is much faster than standard IDE/133.

[snip]

No, it isn't.

In any disk storage subsystem, the maximum performance attainable is a
function of the *slowest* link in the chain (i.e., the raw disk drive itself,
the disk controller, and the host system interface). Given the drives in
question, the host system interface is *NOT* that slowest link in either case;
so it is largely moot from an actual performance POV. Do not confuse
performance *potential* with "performance".

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------

-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Unsolicited advertising sent to this E-Mail address is expressly prohibited
under USC Title 47, Section 227. Violators are subject to charge of up to
$1,500 per incident or treble actual costs, whichever is greater.

Brilliant! Lots of really good advice, thanks guys!

You mention the latest BIOS would be a good idea, which one is the latest?
It seems like it varies depending upon whom you talk to!

Thanks again to all of you!

_P_e_ar_lALegend wrote:
> Il Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:57:41 +0100, Ben Pope ha scritto:
>
>> Leythos wrote:
>>> In article <2kbpvbFfoijU1@uni-berlin.de>, spam@hotmail.com says...
>>>
>>> SATA is much faster than standard IDE/133.
>>
>> Not really.
>
> Please...

Please wait for your argument? The word "please" isn't very persuasive.

I have a understanding of the hardware issues at work. I have SATA drives.
I have looked at benchmarks. I do know.

My Raptor is SATA and is faster than any other ATA drive I know, but thats
'cos it's 10k rpm, not because it's SATA.

Do you have anything other than uninformed opinion to base your statements
on?

Ben

_P_e_ar_lALegend wrote:
>> Is it worth going for a S-ATA drive to replace (or augment) them with, as
>>> I have seen mixed opinions on the merits of S-ATA so far. Also, if I do
>>> go for S-ATA, will I need to muck around with BIOS/firmware/whatever?
>>>
>>> Thanks all, I appreciate any advice you have to offer.
>>
>> SATA is just a different interface, there are no noticeable performance
>> gains due to the controller itself.
>
> That is not true. It improve performance a lot. Best sustained transfer,
> best throughput, a feel of improved performance in every day use.

Sustained transfer is not affected. (Name a drive that can approach a
sustained transfer of 100MB/s, let alone exceed 133MB/s). 70MB/s is the
absolute max I've seen from a drive.

In fact, you'd be hard pushed to consistently get a noticeable difference in
seek, transfer or any other benchmark. Unless you're only testing the cache
to host performance, which is rarely a limiting factor. Average cache size
on a quality new drive is 8 MB, with a transfer rate of around 60MB/s you
can empty it in 133ms, assuming that it's completely full with the data you
require. Hardly noticeable.

Take a 20Mb file, assume half of the cache holds that particular file, and
the drive has the following specs:

Sustained drive transfer speed of 50MB/s
Cache of 8Meg

I'll give you the benefit of doubt and assume 100% efficiency of the
interface, i.e., 133MB/s and 150MB/s transfer between drive and host, and
then a faster link to the memory controller. That accesses from the cache
are instantaneous, and that the cached and data read from the platter are
not simultaneous. I will overlap the 10ms seek with the 100ms or so of
emptying the cache.

Total transfer time for an ATA133 drive:
(20-4)/50 + 4/133 = 0.32 + 0.03 = 0.35s

Total transfer time for a SATA150 drive:
(20-4)/50 + 4/150 = 0.32 + 0.026667 ~ 0.347s

Wow, thats an improvement of a MASSIVE 1%.

If anybody can be bothered to consider the fact that it can start caching
the file whilst it is emptying the cache then go ahead and do the calcs
again. It'll be a similar number.

> If u say so, u really never worked with SATA.

Pah. I have 2 SATA drives. A WD360GD and a WD2500JD

> The difference between IDE and SATA is like the difference between the day
> and the night.

The difference between ATA133 and SATA150 is not that great. The protocols
are mostly the same.

> BTW, the interface is totally different and improved. Not
> just simple drive swapping between interface ::-(((

The physical interface is of course, quite different. It uses a
differential pair, not a parallel cable. (In this respect it is like USB or
IEEE1394) Connectors and cabling are therefore much different (and better).

Other advantages include support for TCQ (like SCSI) which may help
performance under high loading as it allows the drive to re-order queued
commands to reap best performance (essentially it can reduce the seeks
required, amongst other things).

Also, the commands have error checking, something that normal ATA doesn't
have. Both of course have error checking on the data.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Perhaps you should try reading, rather than making up what you say.

Oh, and if you're comparing a 3 year old ATA drive with a brand new SATA
drive, then you're not really playing fair, are you?

Check a benchmark for say, a WD2500JB and a WD2500JD. They are the same
drive, one has ATA100 or 133, the other is SATA. I think you'll find that
the SATA has a marginally reduced performance due to the bridge required -
not noticeable without accurate benchmarks though (and thats tricky on a
drive). Native SATA drives should not differ noticeably, but I wouldn't
expect them to be slower than ATA.

The difference between night and day? Do you perchance live close to a
pole, such that you have ~6 months of light and 6 of dark (very similar
night and days)?

I look forward to your comments.

Ben

Vormulac wrote:
> Brilliant! Lots of really good advice, thanks guys!
>
> You mention the latest BIOS would be a good idea, which one is the latest?
> It seems like it varies depending upon whom you talk to!

Without checking:

For the A7N8X Deluxe Rev1.0x, 1008
For the A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0x, 1007
For the A7N8X-E Deluxe around 1011, I think.

I have the Rev2, and use the Uber 1007, but it's the same as the Asus 1007,
just with a few more options enabled.

Ben

In message <2kdpurF15t2mU1@uni-berlin.de>, Ben Pope <spam@hotmail.com>
writes
>Sustained transfer is not affected. (Name a drive that can approach a
>sustained transfer of 100MB/s, let alone exceed 133MB/s). 70MB/s is the
>absolute max I've seen from a drive.

While I agree in general with Ben's post, one thing to note is that
while its not an inherent feature of SATA alone, most SATA controllers
these days do provide a RAID0 ability as standard, hence the reason most
of my machines now have an effective sustained data transfer of around
110MB/s.
You can get this with PATA, but not as easily or cheaply.

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'

Gareth Jones wrote:
> In message <2kdpurF15t2mU1@uni-berlin.de>, Ben Pope <spam@hotmail.com>
> writes
>> Sustained transfer is not affected. (Name a drive that can approach a
>> sustained transfer of 100MB/s, let alone exceed 133MB/s). 70MB/s is the
>> absolute max I've seen from a drive.
>
> While I agree in general with Ben's post, one thing to note is that
> while its not an inherent feature of SATA alone, most SATA controllers
> these days do provide a RAID0 ability as standard, hence the reason most
> of my machines now have an effective sustained data transfer of around
> 110MB/s.

Indeed.

> You can get this with PATA, but not as easily or cheaply.

I disagree, the drives and controllers probably similar prices, with PATA
being a smidgen cheaper.

As long as the PATA controller had 2 channels and you had one drive on each,
you have the same thing. You would of course likely be limited to 133MB/s
unless it was chipset native.

The advantages of SATA over PATA are grossly misrepresented as performance
advantages, which, today, they are not.

My hard drives are both SATA, I like SATA, I encourage people to buy SATA,
but I must disagree that the advantages are in performance.

Ben

In message <2ke00bF19li7U1@uni-berlin.de>, Ben Pope <spam@hotmail.com>
writes
>> While I agree in general with Ben's post, one thing to note is that
>> while its not an inherent feature of SATA alone, most SATA controllers
>> these days do provide a RAID0 ability as standard, hence the reason most
>> of my machines now have an effective sustained data transfer of around
>> 110MB/s.
>
>Indeed.
>
>> You can get this with PATA, but not as easily or cheaply.
>
>I disagree, the drives and controllers probably similar prices, with PATA
>being a smidgen cheaper.
>
>As long as the PATA controller had 2 channels and you had one drive on each,
>you have the same thing. You would of course likely be limited to 133MB/s
>unless it was chipset native.

You've missed my point. Most motherboards with PATA don't have RAID
Most with SATA do.
Therefore you have to buy an additional controller, therefore it is not
as easy or as cheap.

Note - I do know you get motherboards with PATA RAID. I've used them.

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'

>>> Sustained transfer is not affected. (Name a drive that can approach a
>>> sustained transfer of 100MB/s, let alone exceed 133MB/s). 70MB/s is the
>>> absolute max I've seen from a drive.
>>
>> While I agree in general with Ben's post, one thing to note is that
>> while its not an inherent feature of SATA alone, most SATA controllers
>> these days do provide a RAID0 ability as standard, hence the reason most
>> of my machines now have an effective sustained data transfer of around
>> 110MB/s.
>
> Indeed.
>
>> You can get this with PATA, but not as easily or cheaply.
>
> I disagree, the drives and controllers probably similar prices, with PATA
> being a smidgen cheaper.

Please... try Raid0 on SATA150 (SiliconImage, just to name a popular
choice) and we can talk. No need to buy 3Ware, no, SiliconImage is enough
:)
> My hard drives are both SATA, I like SATA, I encourage people to buy
> SATA, but I must disagree that the advantages are in performance.

Pleaaaseeeee... As I said, in everyday use, it's a difference like between
the day and the night :)

And, bien sur, u have to configure the drive in Raid0 mode. But also drive
against drive, I mean single ATA133 against single SATA150 drive make a
relevant difference in every day use.

And it's just stupid in this days buy ATA and not SATA, also if u think
about Raid configuration, and also if u just think in performance terms.

_P_e_ar_lALegend wrote:

>> I disagree, the drives and controllers probably similar prices, with PATA
>> being a smidgen cheaper.
>
> Please... try Raid0 on SATA150 (SiliconImage, just to name a popular
> choice) and we can talk. No need to buy 3Ware, no, SiliconImage is enough
> :)

I have no great desire to try RAID 0. I have an A7N8X Deluxe with the SiI
3112A.

>> My hard drives are both SATA, I like SATA, I encourage people to buy
>> SATA, but I must disagree that the advantages are in performance.
>>
> Pleaaaseeeee... As I said, in everyday use, it's a difference like between
> the day and the night :)

Rubbish!

> And, bien sur, u have to configure the drive in Raid0 mode. But also drive
> against drive, I mean single ATA133 against single SATA150 drive make a
> relevant difference in every day use.

Which drives are you comparing?

> And it's just stupid in this days buy ATA and not SATA, also if u think
> about Raid configuration, and also if u just think in performance terms.

What about RAID? Performance how?

Ben

Gareth Jones wrote:
> In message <2ke00bF19li7U1@uni-berlin.de>, Ben Pope <spam@hotmail.com>
> writes
>>> While I agree in general with Ben's post, one thing to note is that
>>> while its not an inherent feature of SATA alone, most SATA controllers
>>> these days do provide a RAID0 ability as standard, hence the reason most
>>> of my machines now have an effective sustained data transfer of around
>>> 110MB/s.
>>
>> Indeed.
>>
>>> You can get this with PATA, but not as easily or cheaply.
>>
>> I disagree, the drives and controllers probably similar prices, with PATA
>> being a smidgen cheaper.
>>
>> As long as the PATA controller had 2 channels and you had one drive on
>> each, you have the same thing. You would of course likely be limited to
>> 133MB/s unless it was chipset native.
>
> You've missed my point. Most motherboards with PATA don't have RAID
> Most with SATA do.
> Therefore you have to buy an additional controller, therefore it is not
> as easy or as cheap.
>
> Note - I do know you get motherboards with PATA RAID. I've used them.

OK, I see.

But boards with SATA on are more expensive than the boards without. OK, so
with "deluxe" boards you effectively get all the other stuff pretty cheap,
certainly cheaper than add on cards. But if somebody purchased a deluxe
board specifically to get SATA then it's no cheaper than a PCI SATA card -
about the same price.

I see your point though. Just disagreeing out of habit now... but we have
strayed somewhat from "SATA is faster than PATA" :p

Ben

Gentlemen, please!

You have all offered a wealth of information, which from a variety of
angles has suggested that I look to S-ATA if I which to advance my system;
that works for me, thank you.
Whether it be for reasons of compatibility or performance, it sounds like
S-ATA is well worth the money as part of my forthcoming upgrade, the only
question now being whether I can afford to get 2 and set up RAID0 or not
(hopefully obtaining a more favourable result than on my horrid old Abit
KR7A-RAID *shudder*).

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, I didn't mean to open quite such a
can of worms!

I think we can all agree that S-ATA is *good*, then shake hands and go our
separate ways. :)

Thanks again.

Uncle Vormy.

In article <Xns95183BDA7163tristanluscombehotma@194.117.143.38>,
tristanluscombe@hotmail.com says...
> Whether it be for reasons of compatibility or performance, it sounds like
> S-ATA is well worth the money as part of my forthcoming upgrade, the only
> question now being whether I can afford to get 2 and set up RAID0 or not
> (hopefully obtaining a more favourable result than on my horrid old Abit
> KR7A-RAID *shudder*).

I think that you should reconsider using RAID-0, unless you are fully
aware of the implications. RAID-), while fast, will do very little in
normal home user settings, and most people, in a home user setting will
not really benefit from it.

On the bad side, RAID-0 has a much higher failure rate - due to hardware
faults - than a single drive or a RAID-1 (mirror) configuration. No
matter what anyone tells you, two drives are more likely to have a
problem than a single drive, or redundant drives.

My ASUS PC-DL does SATA, has two RAID controllers, and I can even hot
swap the Promise drives in the even of a fault. I've designing boards
and systems for more than 20 years and would never install RAID-0 on a
users system, unless they were doing video editing and the drive
subsystem could not keep up with the editing applications.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)