W98SE & ASUS ATI Radeon 9600XT problem

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2004 3:42:43 AM

I have a probem after trying to install the drivers for my ASUS ATI Radeon
9600XT TVD into win 98SE.

The problem is when I boot I get the usual first screen. Starting Windows;
a couple of line from the autoexec.bat file and a C:\> prompt on a black
screen 'and thats how it stays' but I can see the harddrive still working
and load Windows. And when it finishes I still have a black screen with
starting windows and a couple of line from the autoexec.bat file and a C:\>
prompt. I can shotdown Windows by-going-by-memory window key|cursor up
one|enter|enter| and windows shotdown.

It seems like Windows isn't detecting/loading ANY display drivers. How can
I fix this? Is their a way of doing this without removing the graphics card
and plugging it back in or plugging the old card in?

Could deleting certain files from within the Windows
directories/sub-directories let Windows go-back to default display drivers?
Does anyone know what-all-the files I need to delete to do this?

This system Duel-Boots into XP Pro or 98SE and XP is doing fine with this
new card.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2004 3:42:44 AM

If you are replacing another graphics card, did you uninstall the old
graphics driver before doing the swap? That will force Windows to load
the default VGA driver.

I've got the 9600 PRO, excellent card for the money.

/icebiker

Stringfelowhaulkie wrote:
> I have a probem after trying to install the drivers for my ASUS ATI Radeon
> 9600XT TVD into win 98SE.
>
> The problem is when I boot I get the usual first screen. Starting Windows;
> a couple of line from the autoexec.bat file and a C:\> prompt on a black
> screen 'and thats how it stays' but I can see the harddrive still working
> and load Windows. And when it finishes I still have a black screen with
> starting windows and a couple of line from the autoexec.bat file and a C:\>
> prompt. I can shotdown Windows by-going-by-memory window key|cursor up
> one|enter|enter| and windows shotdown.
>
> It seems like Windows isn't detecting/loading ANY display drivers. How can
> I fix this? Is their a way of doing this without removing the graphics card
> and plugging it back in or plugging the old card in?
>
> Could deleting certain files from within the Windows
> directories/sub-directories let Windows go-back to default display drivers?
> Does anyone know what-all-the files I need to delete to do this?
>
> This system Duel-Boots into XP Pro or 98SE and XP is doing fine with this
> new card.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2004 7:19:28 AM

Yes, I uninstalled.
Related resources
June 29, 2004 7:59:18 AM

You tried booting in safe mode, right?

"Stringfelowhaulkie" <string@felow.haulkie> wrote in message
> I have a probem after trying to install the drivers for my ASUS ATI Radeon
> 9600XT TVD into win 98SE.
>
> The problem is when I boot I get the usual first screen. Starting
Windows;
> a couple of line from the autoexec.bat file and a C:\> prompt on a black
> screen 'and thats how it stays' but I can see the harddrive still working
> and load Windows. And when it finishes I still have a black screen with
> starting windows and a couple of line from the autoexec.bat file and a
C:\>
> prompt. I can shotdown Windows by-going-by-memory window key|cursor up
> one|enter|enter| and windows shotdown.
>
> It seems like Windows isn't detecting/loading ANY display drivers. How
can
> I fix this? Is their a way of doing this without removing the graphics
card
> and plugging it back in or plugging the old card in?
>
> Could deleting certain files from within the Windows
> directories/sub-directories let Windows go-back to default display
drivers?
> Does anyone know what-all-the files I need to delete to do this?
>
> This system Duel-Boots into XP Pro or 98SE and XP is doing fine with this
> new card.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2004 11:26:16 PM