CD rom/CD-RW error

My cdrom/cdrw doesn't show up in my computer anymore. I
cant run any disks in it. I have checked that the cables
are tight as well. It gives me an error message of

Windows have successfully loaded the device driver for
the hardware but cannot find the hardware device (code 41)

Does anyone know how to correct this? Or what that code
means? If you could let me know how to find my drive,
that would be great.
3 answers Last reply
More about error

    us;314060

    I take it you just uninstalled Roxio? Even if you
    haven't, you can delete Upper and Lower Filters. Those
    reg entries are for the MediaPlayer plugin. Roxio runs
    fine without them.

    If Roxio 5 is still installed, install the latest patch
    version (5.3.5.10) and then the latest drive definitions
    (DriveUp5.3.5r).
    http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv5.jh
    tml
    If Roxio 6 is installed, agian, update.
    http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv6.jh
    tml

    No i have never used roxio on this system, just nero. It
    was working fine yesterday and went to use it today and
    the drive was gone.

    Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
    See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
    Run the provided registry patch

    That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
    non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
    references for your cdrom(s))

    Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
    website

    CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

    CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
    or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

    (It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Barkee" <rhartin@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > My cdrom/cdrw doesn't show up in my computer anymore. I
    > cant run any disks in it. I have checked that the cables
    > are tight as well. It gives me an error message of
    >
    > Windows have successfully loaded the device driver for
    > the hardware but cannot find the hardware device (code 41)
    >
    > Does anyone know how to correct this? Or what that code
    > means? If you could let me know how to find my drive,
    > that would be great.

Hardware CD-Rom Windows XP