CD rom/CD-RW error

May 21, 2004 4:31:42 PM

My cdrom/cdrw doesn't show up in my computer anymore. I
cant run any disks in it. I have checked that the cables
are tight as well. It gives me an error message of

Windows have successfully loaded the device driver for
the hardware but cannot find the hardware device (code 41)

Does anyone know how to correct this? Or what that code
means? If you could let me know how to find my drive,
that would be great.

More about : rom error

May 21, 2004 4:49:02 PM

us;314060

I take it you just uninstalled Roxio? Even if you
haven't, you can delete Upper and Lower Filters. Those
reg entries are for the MediaPlayer plugin. Roxio runs
fine without them.

If Roxio 5 is still installed, install the latest patch
version (5.3.5.10) and then the latest drive definitions
(DriveUp5.3.5r).
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv5...
tml
If Roxio 6 is installed, agian, update.
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv6...
tml

Anonymous
May 21, 2004 5:00:23 PM

No i have never used roxio on this system, just nero. It
was working fine yesterday and went to use it today and
the drive was gone.

Anonymous
May 21, 2004 9:08:41 PM

Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
references for your cdrom(s))

Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
website

CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

!