Any ideas...?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 12, 2005 4:45:56 PM

....why, when I run my server, others can see it listed in the Steam thang,
but I can't? Wierd...

It's that srcds.exe thing, the source server, and it's running standalone. I
can see my server in the LAN section one my other machine, but never find it
in the other bit.

Cheers!

More about : ideas

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:05:09 PM

"Nick" <nick@yourstuff.com> wrote in message
> ...why, when I run my server, others can see it listed in the Steam thang, but
> I can't? Wierd...
>
> It's that srcds.exe thing, the source server, and it's running standalone. I
> can see my server in the LAN section one my other machine, but never find it
> in the other bit.

Do you only have one external IP address assigned by your ISP and are you
sharing that one IP with NAT on your router? If so then you won't be able to see
your server in the internet bit of the steam browser as you cannot route from
one machine, out to the internet then back in to your other machine using a
single IP address shared with NAT (although you may be able to set up static
routes on your router). Just connect to it as a LAN server.
April 13, 2005 4:25:41 PM

"DustJunky" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "Nick" <nick@yourstuff.com> wrote in message
>> ...why, when I run my server, others can see it listed in the Steam
>> thang, but I can't? Wierd...
>>
>> It's that srcds.exe thing, the source server, and it's running
>> standalone. I can see my server in the LAN section one my other machine,
>> but never find it in the other bit.
>
> Do you only have one external IP address assigned by your ISP and are you
> sharing that one IP with NAT on your router? If so then you won't be able
> to see your server in the internet bit of the steam browser as you cannot
> route from one machine, out to the internet then back in to your other
> machine using a single IP address shared with NAT (although you may be
> able to set up static routes on your router). Just connect to it as a LAN
> server.

Ahhhh... I see! (I think) - thanks.
April 14, 2005 11:20:22 PM

That's just the way it is dude.

As far as your PC is concerned the server is on your "LAN" (internal) and
so is listed their as it has an "unreal" IP address
(192.168.0.whateverdude).

Everyone else (external) sees it on the "Real IP" assigned by your ISP and
so it is listed under "INTERNET".

Smilpe as Dat.

"Nick" <nick@yourstuff.com> wrote in message
> ...why, when I run my server, others can see it listed in the Steam thang,
> but I can't? Wierd...
>
> It's that srcds.exe thing, the source server, and it's running standalone.
> I can see my server in the LAN section one my other machine, but never
> find it in the other bit.
>
> Cheers!

April 15, 2005 1:14:10 PM

Right - I suspected something like that. Makes it a bit hard to see if it's
getting listed though eh?

Cheers!

news:D 3mfpm$ofg$1@sparta.btinternet.com...

!