Wireless network not appearing in "My Network Places"

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 16, 2004 3:43:08 PM

ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Hi there.

There is no icon entitled "Wireless Network" (or anything similar) in "My
Network Places." I downloaded and installed new drivers for my brand new
router (Dlink DI-624) as recommended by
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242/EN-US/ with no luck.

The router is transmitting data to the Dlink USB adapter (TiVo is receiveing
programming updates via this USB adapter), but there is no icon. Further, my
networked device (TiVo) can't find the IP address of the ethernet/router
computer.

I'm using a comcast cable modem. The tcp/ip of that connection ("IEEE
something or other") is configured to "obtain ip address" automatically and
(as far as I know) I turned off all firewall and security functionality. I
have SP2.

I'm trying to: 1) get the ethernet/router computer recognize that it is
serving as a network by getting a "Wireless Network" icon to show up in the
"Network Places" and 2) get my device to find the network (even though its
already receiving data . . . ).

Thank you.
December 17, 2004 12:12:29 AM

there should not be a wireless network icon in my network places. that part
of the explorer should show other computers near you, and mapped shares that
you have visited or added manually. the wireless network should show up
under network connections from the control panel.

after that your message becomes gibberish. is the router the computer or a
dlink box? where is the usb adapter and how does that relate to the dlink
router? by sp2 i assume you mean windows xp sp2. how do you know the
router is sending data to the usb adapter, and how does that relate to
tivo?? isn't tivo a separate box that records tv off digital cable?? why is
that part of the network?? what is the ieee something or other? and how
does it relate to this problem? and what is the problem? if everything is
getting data what else do you want?

"LaneNem" <LaneNem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!
>
> Hi there.
>
> There is no icon entitled "Wireless Network" (or anything similar) in "My
> Network Places." I downloaded and installed new drivers for my brand new
> router (Dlink DI-624) as recommended by
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242/EN-US/ with no luck.
>
> The router is transmitting data to the Dlink USB adapter (TiVo is
receiveing
> programming updates via this USB adapter), but there is no icon. Further,
my
> networked device (TiVo) can't find the IP address of the ethernet/router
> computer.
>
> I'm using a comcast cable modem. The tcp/ip of that connection ("IEEE
> something or other") is configured to "obtain ip address" automatically
and
> (as far as I know) I turned off all firewall and security functionality.
> have SP2.
>
> I'm trying to: 1) get the ethernet/router computer recognize that it is
> serving as a network by getting a "Wireless Network" icon to show up in
the
> "Network Places" and 2) get my device to find the network (even though its
> already receiving data . . . ).
>
> Thank you.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 9:15:01 PM

Apologies for the confusion Dave.

OS = WinXP Pro with SP2 (with "SP2" standing for "Service Pack 2").

Start - ctrl panel - network connections - does not show any wireless network.

I am using a D-Link router (DI-624, with the most recently updated drivers
as recommended by KB Art. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242/EN-US/ ).

In conjunction with this router I am using D-Link wireless adapter. The www
comes through my comcast cable modem, to the D-Link router, to my computer
via ethernet cable. The router is transmits data wirelessly to the USB
adapter. This is the DWL-122 Wireless USB Adapter. This adapter is plugged
into the back of my TiVo. TiVo requires regular data updates. The TiVo
required data may be transmitted via a wireless (or wired) www connection, or
via phone line. Essentially, my TiVo box is similar to a laptop connected to
the www by my wireless network.

The tivo is receiving data (I know b/c I can see the TiVo log of data
updates. In addition, if the unit does not recevieve data/programming
updates, one may not record shows properly -- in any event, the USB adapter
is receiving transmitted www data.)

Here's the problem: XP has established no wireless network related to this
data transfer. All firewall related functionality has been disabled.

How can I get XP to recognize, or create a wireless network? Absent a
recognition by my ethernet connected XP computer that it is transmitting data
via a wireless network, its utility is greatly decreased.

Start - Ctrl Panel - Network Connections - the only active connection is
called "Local Area Connection" (Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection). If
I right click on that, click on the "General" tab, double click the TCP/IP
icon, it lists the TCP/IP properites. Under the "General" tab of the TCP/IP
properties, the "Obtain an IP address automatically" is highlighted. A
little below that, "Obtain DNS server address automattically" option is also
highlighted.

Also, under the properties of the "Local Area Connection" (Intel(R) PRO/100
VE Network Connection) - Authentication tab, the "Enable IEEE 802.1x
authentication for this network" field is checked. Immediately below that,
"The [selected] EAP type" value is: "Smart Card or other Certificiate."

Thanks again for the assistance.

"Dave" wrote:

> there should not be a wireless network icon in my network places. that part
> of the explorer should show other computers near you, and mapped shares that
> you have visited or added manually. the wireless network should show up
> under network connections from the control panel.
>
> after that your message becomes gibberish. is the router the computer or a
> dlink box? where is the usb adapter and how does that relate to the dlink
> router? by sp2 i assume you mean windows xp sp2. how do you know the
> router is sending data to the usb adapter, and how does that relate to
> tivo?? isn't tivo a separate box that records tv off digital cable?? why is
> that part of the network?? what is the ieee something or other? and how
> does it relate to this problem? and what is the problem? if everything is
> getting data what else do you want?
>
> "LaneNem" <LaneNem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!
> >
> > Hi there.
> >
> > There is no icon entitled "Wireless Network" (or anything similar) in "My
> > Network Places." I downloaded and installed new drivers for my brand new
> > router (Dlink DI-624) as recommended by
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242/EN-US/ with no luck.
> >
> > The router is transmitting data to the Dlink USB adapter (TiVo is
> receiveing
> > programming updates via this USB adapter), but there is no icon. Further,
> my
> > networked device (TiVo) can't find the IP address of the ethernet/router
> > computer.
> >
> > I'm using a comcast cable modem. The tcp/ip of that connection ("IEEE
> > something or other") is configured to "obtain ip address" automatically
> and
> > (as far as I know) I turned off all firewall and security functionality.
> > have SP2.
> >
> > I'm trying to: 1) get the ethernet/router computer recognize that it is
> > serving as a network by getting a "Wireless Network" icon to show up in
> the
> > "Network Places" and 2) get my device to find the network (even though its
> > already receiving data . . . ).
> >
> > Thank you.

Related resources
December 18, 2004 5:20:09 AM

You will not get Wireless Network icon because you are not using Wireless
Network Card in the computer
to get a Wireless Network icon In XP you must connect with Wireless Card you
are using ethernet to connect with router

Steve
LaneNem" <LaneNem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!
>
> Hi there.
>
> There is no icon entitled "Wireless Network" (or anything similar) in "My
> Network Places." I downloaded and installed new drivers for my brand new
> router (Dlink DI-624) as recommended by
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242/EN-US/ with no luck.
>
> The router is transmitting data to the Dlink USB adapter (TiVo is
receiveing
> programming updates via this USB adapter), but there is no icon. Further,
my
> networked device (TiVo) can't find the IP address of the ethernet/router
> computer.
>
> I'm using a comcast cable modem. The tcp/ip of that connection ("IEEE
> something or other") is configured to "obtain ip address" automatically
and
> (as far as I know) I turned off all firewall and security functionality.
> have SP2.
>
> I'm trying to: 1) get the ethernet/router computer recognize that it is
> serving as a network by getting a "Wireless Network" icon to show up in
the
> "Network Places" and 2) get my device to find the network (even though its
> already receiving data . . . ).
>
> Thank you.
December 18, 2004 3:42:33 PM

> Apologies for the confusion Dave.
>
> OS = WinXP Pro with SP2 (with "SP2" standing for "Service Pack 2").
>
> Start - ctrl panel - network connections - does not show any wireless
network.

> I am using a D-Link router (DI-624, with the most recently updated drivers
> as recommended by KB Art. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242/EN-US/ ).
>
> In conjunction with this router I am using D-Link wireless adapter. The
www
> comes through my comcast cable modem, to the D-Link router, to my computer
> via ethernet cable. The router is transmits data wirelessly to the USB
> adapter. This is the DWL-122 Wireless USB Adapter. This adapter is
plugged
> into the back of my TiVo. TiVo requires regular data updates. The TiVo
> required data may be transmitted via a wireless (or wired) www connection,
or
> via phone line. Essentially, my TiVo box is similar to a laptop connected
> the www by my wireless network.
>
> The tivo is receiving data (I know b/c I can see the TiVo log of data
> updates. In addition, if the unit does not recevieve data/programming
> updates, one may not record shows properly -- in any event, the USB
adapter
> is receiving transmitted www data.)

does the log specify that it is getting them via the wireless adapter? or
does it also have a phone line to fall back on?

> Here's the problem: XP has established no wireless network related to this
> data transfer. All firewall related functionality has been disabled.

do you have 2 wireless usb adapters? you say you have one plugged in to the
tivo box, how would the desktop that is plugged in to the router by cable
know about the tivo wireless except to see it as a computer that is 'out
there' somewhere. if the tivo box is the only wireless connection to the
router then you would have to ask the router how it is connected not the
computer, all the computer would know is that there was another box out
there that it could ping, it would have no way of knowing that it is a
wireless connection... it could just as well be on another cable plugged in
to the router.

!