Transfering old HD to new K8V MB ???

I would like to know if anyone was ever successful transferring a Window XP
based hard drive with all applications to an K8V? I realize that
transferring a HD under Windows 9x was a piece of cake, but read Google to
death that the chances of the the blue screen of death on first boot with
new K8V board is most probable.

It's almost impossible to start with a clean drive due to numerous apps
tweaks, patches, etc over the years. I'm going from and AMD 1.4G on an Asus
A7V to AMD 64, 3000+ and K8V.

Any suggestions?
12 answers Last reply
More about transfering

    Hi;
    its my job too this week ! I decided to :

    -have a look in the BIOS to notivy some settings
    -ACPI : to set up new mobo to same status
    (w2K , wxp) want the same settings for "hal"

    -ensure that pagefile is on bootdrive (i've got more hdd's)
    -have all nessesary drivers for current (using again actual) and future (hw
    on new mobo) hardware available.
    -either on hdd or cdrom or disk / else

    -read manual and create driver disk for sata controllers on k8v (if
    nessesary for you)

    -have a bootdisk or any method to update BIOS on new mobo (may come with
    overhauled) have a look if there is any new BIOS out

    -create an image (to eventually restore your hardwaresituation with old
    mobo)
    -have a rescue medium to restore that

    - have at least a your personell data / files saved anywhere

    -uninstall mobo specific software
    :monitoring tools , raidtools , sound , graphic....

    uninstall actual drivers
    -graphic - card driver and software (for further removing chipset specific
    agp driver)
    -unistall mobo - chipset - driver

    migrate mobo now
    -set up new BIOS settings
    -try to boot
    :have in mind to boot in "secure mode F8" -i'm german-

    -install drivers ....

    in my dreams : that's it

    regards jk

    Important :

    have yourself informed about youre cpu stepping an figure out the voltage
    1.5 or 1.55 V

    check out on first time invoking bios that there is no wrong voltage setting
    at all (not only on cpu voltage)

    - i had it one time after replacing a powersupply, and one time aftere
    updating a bios, that the voltage settings where that wrong and some
    componets run hot

    regards jk

    > It's almost impossible to start with a clean drive due to numerous apps
    > tweaks, patches, etc over the years. I'm going from and AMD 1.4G on an Asus
    > A7V to AMD 64, 3000+ and K8V.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    When I do change a motherboard with different chipset I always do like
    this: I have a spare SATA Controller, I connected it to the old system, I
    let XP loading the drivers. When it's correctly installed I do swap drives
    from original controller on the motherboard to it. Another boot and I'm
    sure everything is fine. Shutdown

    Then I swap motherboards and everytning then I put the spare card with the
    HD connected to the new system. Guaranteed it boot fine. THen XP setup the
    new hardware and I still have the drives installed to the spare controller.

    When the new system is ready and new motherboard sata drivers are fine and
    working, I do swap HD from the spare controller to the motherboard SATA
    connector. I reboot, I assure myself everything is fine, then I shutdown
    the system, I remove the spare controller card and I done :-)

    Did it lotsa time, always fine upgrade.

    Bob,

    Do a full disk backup before starting, preferrably with disc imaging
    software such as DriveImage or Nortons Ghost - in fact if your current HDD
    is old (and a bit slow) consider a SATA drive with more modern performance
    and ghosting the imaging to the new HDD. Note: You will have to remove the
    Windows installation off the original HDD or you will be in breach of
    copyright.

    You need to do a Repair install:

    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

    In addition, if you are using any disk controller such as RAID (SATA RAID,
    IDE RAID, any SCSI) you will need to supply the correct driver during the
    repair in response to the F6 invitation - keep an eye out for it during
    early parts of the install. Press F6 early and often. Leave the driver disc
    in the drive as it is accessed twice. Check the mobo manual for details &
    double check where you have things plugged in - a common source of problems:
    installing drivers for one controller when the disc is on another.

    Do *not* bung the HDD in the new computer and attempt to start it at all -
    the first time the computer boots off the HDD must be after the repair
    otherwise you will have to re-run the repair and may strike problems.

    Double check you do not have any of these new fangle USB Disk drives, smart
    media devices ( there are about 6 device types ) plugged in or turned on
    during the install. Remove the interface cable from both ends and the power
    connector from the device if you do - Windows XP loves to get drive letters
    wrong. I recommend that the only disk drive you have installed during the
    repair is the HDD to be repaired, the Floppy to supply drivers if needed and
    the CD / DVD drive for your Windows CD. Install and configure all other
    peripherals *after* the repair has succeeded and you have are happy with
    stability - keep extra devices turned off in the BIOS until you are ready to
    install the drivers.

    Note what it says in the above article re: critical updates, fixes, and
    service packs. Make sure you reinstall all of them. XP SP2 may be out any
    day...

    Before getting started, check BIOS version and Driver versions and check
    system stability with memtest86 from memtest86.com. Consider running a
    torture test using Prime95 once windows is back up and running.

    If you follow along with this you should have success quite easily. It is
    not half as difficult as it may sound...

    HTH
    - Tim

    "Bob Petruska" <petruska@mail.microserve.net> wrote in message
    >I would like to know if anyone was ever successful transferring a Window XP
    > based hard drive with all applications to an K8V? I realize that
    > transferring a HD under Windows 9x was a piece of cake, but read Google to
    > death that the chances of the the blue screen of death on first boot with
    > new K8V board is most probable.
    >

    > It's almost impossible to start with a clean drive due to numerous apps
    > tweaks, patches, etc over the years. I'm going from and AMD 1.4G on an
    > Asus
    > A7V to AMD 64, 3000+ and K8V.
    >

    > Any suggestions?

    If you change the motherboard on an XP based computer you MUST reformat the
    harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS, or you will experience ongoing
    nasty Registry errors.

    --
    DaveW

    "Bob Petruska" <petruska@mail.microserve.net> wrote in message
    > I would like to know if anyone was ever successful transferring a Window
    XP
    > based hard drive with all applications to an K8V? I realize that
    > transferring a HD under Windows 9x was a piece of cake, but read Google to
    > death that the chances of the the blue screen of death on first boot with
    > new K8V board is most probable.
    >

    > It's almost impossible to start with a clean drive due to numerous apps
    > tweaks, patches, etc over the years. I'm going from and AMD 1.4G on an
    Asus
    > A7V to AMD 64, 3000+ and K8V.
    >

    > Any suggestions?

    Dave,

    Its about time you tried a repair insall yourself and overcame your fear of
    them.

    To re-iterate: a fresh install is always desirable, but often it is not
    practial. If you re-read the OP's posting he says "It is almost impossible
    to start with a clean drive" .

    To the OP: I suggest you practice a little minimalism: install only the
    applications you need, know how to install them, know how to patch them,
    know how to configure them, document the process - perhaps do it one
    application at a time and overcome your current situation as if you lose a
    disc drive any time now you will be in the POO!

    - Tim

    > If you change the motherboard on an XP based computer you MUST reformat
    > the
    > harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS, or you will experience ongoing
    > nasty Registry errors.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "Bob Petruska" <petruska@mail.microserve.net> wrote in message
    >> I would like to know if anyone was ever successful transferring a Window
    > XP
    >> based hard drive with all applications to an K8V? I realize that
    >> transferring a HD under Windows 9x was a piece of cake, but read Google
    >> death that the chances of the the blue screen of death on first boot with
    >> new K8V board is most probable.
    >>

    >> It's almost impossible to start with a clean drive due to numerous apps
    >> tweaks, patches, etc over the years. I'm going from and AMD 1.4G on an
    > Asus
    >> A7V to AMD 64, 3000+ and K8V.
    >>

    >> Any suggestions?

    Tim you are correct in quoting me on that , but now I'm changing my comment
    to it's impossible to start from scratch.

    I cloned my current hard drive last night and that will be the drive for my
    mb changeover testing. I also placed another clean drive in my current
    system, installed WinXP and then started to load applications. I was into
    to this for about an hour when I realized that it is impossible to find all
    the patches, tweaks, configurations, log-on cookies, serial numbers, plus
    save my favorites, address books, newgroups, re-register all my listservers,
    hyperlinks, what applications and disks did I obtain all those fonts from
    that I use in my pubs, my zillion data files peppered in old applications,
    plus the old apps that were download install only, etc, etc.

    I will definitely junk my K8V, Athalon 64 and keep my lowly A7V is I can't
    make the old drive change. I currently have a flawlessly running system
    that doesn't hangs or crash and it still has roots back to DOS 3.1on the
    hard drive as I continually updated over the years. I just want some speed
    for faster DVD authoring.

    "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:cbt01q$lpl$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    > Dave,
    >
    > Its about time you tried a repair insall yourself and overcame your fear
    of
    > them.
    >
    > To re-iterate: a fresh install is always desirable, but often it is not
    > practial. If you re-read the OP's posting he says "It is almost impossible
    > to start with a clean drive" .
    >
    > To the OP: I suggest you practice a little minimalism: install only the
    > applications you need, know how to install them, know how to patch them,
    > know how to configure them, document the process - perhaps do it one
    > application at a time and overcome your current situation as if you lose a
    > disc drive any time now you will be in the POO!
    >
    > - Tim
    >
    > "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    > > If you change the motherboard on an XP based computer you MUST reformat
    > > the
    > > harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS, or you will experience
    ongoing
    > > nasty Registry errors.
    > >
    > > --
    > > DaveW
    > >

    > > "Bob Petruska" <petruska@mail.microserve.net> wrote in message
    > >> I would like to know if anyone was ever successful transferring a
    Window
    > > XP
    > >> based hard drive with all applications to an K8V? I realize that
    > >> transferring a HD under Windows 9x was a piece of cake, but read Google
    > >> death that the chances of the the blue screen of death on first boot
    with
    > >> new K8V board is most probable.
    > >>

    > >> It's almost impossible to start with a clean drive due to numerous apps
    > >> tweaks, patches, etc over the years. I'm going from and AMD 1.4G on an
    > > Asus
    > >> A7V to AMD 64, 3000+ and K8V.
    > >>

    > >> Any suggestions?

    Do the repair install. It really is painless. I've gone from a VIA
    chipset AMD motherboard to a SIS chipset P4 motherboard to a VIA chipset
    P4 motherboard and now to an Intel chipset P4 motherboard all with the
    same hard drive. Each time I did a repair install and never had a scary
    moment.

    Dick

    In article <Zd2dnRsd8KbxqH_dUSdV9g@ptd.net>, "Bob Petruska"
    <petruska@mail.microserve.net> wrote:

    > Tim you are correct in quoting me on that , but now I'm changing my comment
    > to it's impossible to start from scratch.
    >
    > I cloned my current hard drive last night and that will be the drive for my
    > mb changeover testing. I also placed another clean drive in my current
    > system, installed WinXP and then started to load applications. I was into
    > to this for about an hour when I realized that it is impossible to find all
    > the patches, tweaks, configurations, log-on cookies, serial numbers, plus
    > save my favorites, address books, newgroups, re-register all my listservers,
    > hyperlinks, what applications and disks did I obtain all those fonts from
    > that I use in my pubs, my zillion data files peppered in old applications,
    > plus the old apps that were download install only, etc, etc.
    >
    > I will definitely junk my K8V, Athalon 64 and keep my lowly A7V is I can't
    > make the old drive change. I currently have a flawlessly running system
    > that doesn't hangs or crash and it still has roots back to DOS 3.1on the
    > hard drive as I continually updated over the years. I just want some speed
    > for faster DVD authoring.

    I just completed a transition to a P4C800-E Deluxe. The one piece of
    advice that I found useful, was to make sure the Microsoft Standard IDE
    driver was installed while the disk was sitting in the old system. (This
    advice is for a PATA drive, but depending on whether the Southbridge on
    your board has remapping of SATA to the old I/O address and IRQ used
    by PATA, the move between systems could work if using a SATA drive
    transferred from operating on one Southbridge to another Southbridge.)
    On my old board, there was an Intel IDE driver sitting there, and I did
    a driver update, and was offered two alternatives, the Intel one and a
    Microsoft one. I took the standard Microsoft one.

    Like yourself, I used the clone method. First I tried booting with the
    clone, but got a blue screen and an "Inaccessable boot device". After
    returning the clone to the old system, changing the IDE driver to the
    Microsoft one, I was able to get the disk to boot on the new system.
    While I was using Win2K and not WinXP like yourself, I think it is
    still worth a shot.

    I tested my system before installing it in a case, and it is a lot
    easier to experiment with issues like this, if everything is just
    lying on a table. After I made reasonable progress booting, installing
    new video card drivers, playing a couple of games, then I moved to
    the installation phase. Doing that eliminates wasted effort stuffing
    all the goods into a case right away, only to find problems.

    The only problems I had with the install, were caused by the way that
    I did the original install on the old system. On my old system, Asus
    shipped several versions of BIOS with busted ACPI support, so I was
    forced to install with a standard PC HAL. That has dogged me to this
    day. I'm not sure you can go from Standard PC HAL to ACPI HAL without
    reinstalling. If your original install was in good shape, and has the
    right HAL to support your new hardware, I think you stand a good chance
    of making the transition. (One difference is, with WinXP, you might
    need to re-activate, whereas with Win2K, I didn't have to worry about
    that. That is the only reason I bought Win2K when I did.)

    HTH,
    Paul

    Il Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:16:33 +0000, DaveW ha scritto:

    > If you change the motherboard on an XP based computer you MUST reformat the
    > harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS, or you will experience ongoing
    > nasty Registry errors.

    Bullshit!!! I never ever reinstalled way back from 1996, I upgraded step
    by step to XP via Win2000 and I changed maybe 50 motherboards and all the
    components without NEVER HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM!

    Paul,

    The issues you describe are characteristic of not doing a repair when one is
    needed.

    Bob,

    Don't give up.

    Take the cloned drive, bung it in the new machine, but don't boot off it.
    Check your bios is set to boot off CD insert the XP setup CD and boot from
    that.

    Follow the instructions re: repair.

    If you have any doubt about which drivers if any to install during repair,
    feed any drivers in via F6 - thats what it is for. If the repair does not
    need the drivers it will eventually ignore them and nothing untoward will
    happen. (During install it inspects hardware and part of the plug and play
    process is marrying up the devices with the drivers - if you supply an extra
    driver or 200 it does not matter).

    The repair re-runs the plug and play setup for the XP system & rebuilds the
    registry settings for hardware. It also replaces all XP system files with
    those off CD so if you have an nasty virus this is one possible way to get
    rid of it (or disc corruptions, lost files, damage in general). Many virus
    are too smart for this unfortunately.

    Because the issue files off the XP CD are reinstalled, any service packs
    that were present will revert to the level of the CD (IE some CD's have SP1
    on already so the repair ends up with SP1). You will need to reapply service
    packs (OK so there is only 1 at the moment, but SP2 is due soon) all
    critical and other updates from Windows Update. Also since all hardware is
    freshly discovered you will have to install motherboard and other drivers as
    though this were a new system - check device manager.

    The easiest way to get your system up to date is to use Windows Update but
    this has the danger that while you are installing critical patches your
    system is not protected against the exploits of the very things being fixed,
    so if possible download the critical updates to a CD separately or prio to
    this - try and use a hardware firewall if you have one.

    Bob, there is something called the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    (Start, Run, migwiz.exe). This program will package up many of the items you
    mentioned above for movement to a new computer: favourites, email, settings,
    My Documents etc, preferences, bags of stuff, but not application patches or
    data. If you use disc cloning s/w and a Repair install then this is not
    needed.

    I always maintain a downloads folder that I archive to CD that contains
    shareware / software I have downloaded and or purchased from the net. I keep
    it arranged so that I can re-install each app quickly - I also include
    things like license keys in .txt files where needed and many other things
    with the install programs so that they are complete.

    If you image the drive to the new machine then Follow these instructions and
    if you have any troubles at all feel free to post back - you have a nice
    simple regression step of simply not proceeding, so really there is from
    what you say no risk at all. On the license issue, you have 90 days to
    activate anyway so don't fret about running 2 XP's for a short while....

    - Tim

> [...]
    >

    >> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    >> > Dave,
    >> >
    >> > Its about time you tried a repair insall yourself and overcame your
    >> > fear
    >> of
    >> > them.
    >> >
    >> > To re-iterate: a fresh install is always desirable, but often it is not
    >> > practial. If you re-read the OP's posting he says "It is almost
    >> > impossible
    >> > to start with a clean drive" .
    >> >
    >> > To the OP: I suggest you practice a little minimalism: install only the
    >> > applications you need, know how to install them, know how to patch
    >> > them,
    >> > know how to configure them, document the process - perhaps do it one
    >> > application at a time and overcome your current situation as if you
    >> > lose a
    >> > disc drive any time now you will be in the POO!

    In article <ZEedndBv5YTqbn3dUSdV9g@ptd.net>, petruska@mail.microserve.net
    says...
    > I would like to know if anyone was ever successful transferring a Window XP
    > based hard drive with all applications to an K8V? I realize that
    > transferring a HD under Windows 9x was a piece of cake, but read Google to
    > death that the chances of the the blue screen of death on first boot with
    > new K8V board is most probable.

    You must boot the XPCD and run a Repair installation.

    Because of Hardware APplication Layers it is not possible to expect XP to
    start up just as before when you replace a motherboard.

Asus HD Motherboards