  • Graphics Cards
  • Windows XP
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2004 7:01:03 PM

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card, on a Asus P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard with a Prescott 3.2Ghz Processor. The system has a 480W power supply. everything runs fine in Windows (XP) but as soon as I tried to do anything in 3D, eg play a game or run 3D mark then the display turns to coloured vertical lines and about 10 seconds later the system restarts. I have installed Service Pack 1, updated to the latest display drivers and latest version of directx, am using the latest BIOS and the card works fine in another system. Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance

More about : graphics card problem

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2004 10:12:01 PM

Is your Radeon card actually from ATI or another brand?

Is the BIOS set to run the AGP at 4x or faster? Is the
cooling fan running on the card?
What does the device manager say about the graphic card and
what are the settings in display properties?

What screen resolution and color depth and what type of
monitor?

"Paul Singleton" <paul_singleton@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
message
| I have a Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card, on a Asus P4P800-E
Deluxe motherboard with a Prescott 3.2Ghz Processor. The
system has a 480W power supply. everything runs fine in
Windows (XP) but as soon as I tried to do anything in 3D, eg
play a game or run 3D mark then the display turns to
coloured vertical lines and about 10 seconds later the
system restarts. I have installed Service Pack 1, updated to
the latest display drivers and latest version of directx, am
using the latest BIOS and the card works fine in another
system. Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

| Thanks in advance
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2004 10:12:02 PM

The card is manufactured by a company called Medion, and I've tried downloading the drivers specific to that card from there website. If I use the ATI reference drivers the card is shown as Radeon 9800 Pro in device manager, if I use the drivers from the Medion website then it shows as Medion 9800 XL. The BIOS is set to run 8x AGP which the card is. I'm currently running in 1024 x 768 with 32bit colour, but have the same problems at both higher and lower resolutions. I'm using a 17in CRT monitor and the refresh rate is 60Hz

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2004 12:13:45 AM

I suspect the card is defective, it should breeze through at
those settings.

It should be able to run 85Hz or faster at that modest
resolution and slow refresh rate of 60 Hz it should have no
problems.

See if you can get a real ATI brand card.

news:D 1E5E7AF-0FD0-429A-A939-0F8499080DE9@microsoft.com...
| The card is manufactured by a company called Medion, and
I've tried downloading the drivers specific to that card
from there website. If I use the ATI reference drivers the
card is shown as Radeon 9800 Pro in device manager, if I use
the drivers from the Medion website then it shows as Medion
9800 XL. The BIOS is set to run 8x AGP which the card is.
I'm currently running in 1024 x 768 with 32bit colour, but
have the same problems at both higher and lower resolutions.
I'm using a 17in CRT monitor and the refresh rate is 60Hz

| Thanks
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2004 1:54:51 AM

Did you connect the 4 wire power plug to the video card ?

!