P4P800 DeLux: no RAID-booting

problem:
No RAID booting.. (2xparallel ATA - Prim. RAID 0)

Hardware:
Board: ASUS P4P800 DeLux
checked BIOS(es): 1014, 1016, 1017-b2
CPU: Intel PIV 3.06GHz
1026 MB RAM

the RAID is recognized by DOS and w2k and a partition was created
/BIOS-RAIDTool -> fdisk -> format, all fileoperations can be done.

But...: just booting is impossible!? An "infinite loop of rebooting"
(looks like a "self-reset") is executed, although the boot-files were
copied (DOS: format /s) and on the partion :)

i checked a lot of BIOS options like Hypertheading OFF, LAN OFF, Audio
OFF, no other Harddisks connected, ATA Enhanced Mode: P-ATA or just
the compatibility mode, etc. But unfortunatelly without succes. And,
of course, the RAID was created as bootable. Did i miss something?

and the ASUS-support: i'm waiting .... :/

i would kindly appreciate any explanation why the booting doesn't
work and/or hints to change that <unsatisfing> state.

best regards,
markus

Paul

Splendid

In article <3b83e0th983ai0lli6tl3pd38h5lnbalh6@4ax.com>, Markus Krippner
<merkur2@utanet.at> wrote:

> problem:
> No RAID booting.. (2xparallel ATA - Prim. RAID 0)
>
> Hardware:
> Board: ASUS P4P800 DeLux
> checked BIOS(es): 1014, 1016, 1017-b2
> CPU: Intel PIV 3.06GHz
> 1026 MB RAM
>
> the RAID is recognized by DOS and w2k and a partition was created
> /BIOS-RAIDTool -> fdisk -> format, all fileoperations can be done.
>
> But...: just booting is impossible!? An "infinite loop of rebooting"
> (looks like a "self-reset") is executed, although the boot-files were
> copied (DOS: format /s) and on the partion :)
>
> i checked a lot of BIOS options like Hypertheading OFF, LAN OFF, Audio
> OFF, no other Harddisks connected, ATA Enhanced Mode: P-ATA or just
> the compatibility mode, etc. But unfortunatelly without succes. And,
> of course, the RAID was created as bootable. Did i miss something?
>
> and the ASUS-support: i'm waiting .... :/
>
> i would kindly appreciate any explanation why the booting doesn't
> work and/or hints to change that <unsatisfing> state.
>

> best regards,
> markus

How does the OS get a copy of the necessary VT6410 RAID driver ?
Copying the OS from another disk, without a RAID driver, means
the OS has no driver to interface to the RAID array.

I bet it would work if you did a fresh install, plus have the
VT6410 driver handy on a floppy, to install via F6. As to how
you do that with an existing OS install, it helps a lot if the
driver will install without finding any hardware - without that
there probably isn't a way to get the driver into the OS, before
moving the image to the new array.

Installing the driver after moving the OS to the array, takes a
repair install. Here are some sample instructions:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=b2qb1g03093%40enews3.newsguy.com

Note: After a repair install, you may have to reinstall any service
packs, security updates etc. That leaves you exposed to Sasser until
you've done your updates.

Good luck,
Paul

Tim

If you do a repair install you will end up back at the service pack level
that exists on the CD you use for the repair. IE if the CD has XP SP1 on
(all recent CD's should have SP1a pre-installed) then after the repair you
will have SP1.

You do have to re-apply all patches and critical updates etc. You will also
have to install the motherboard drivers and any other specific drivers you
need EG audio if you turn it on.

Do not boot off the disc drive with the new mother board until you have done
the repair - IE boot of the XP CD and do the repair to the drive 1st -
although it is a good idea to run memtest86 before that if you wish.

- Tim

> In article <3b83e0th983ai0lli6tl3pd38h5lnbalh6@4ax.com>, Markus Krippner
> <merkur2@utanet.at> wrote:
>
>> problem:
>> No RAID booting.. (2xparallel ATA - Prim. RAID 0)
>>
>> Hardware:
>> Board: ASUS P4P800 DeLux
>> checked BIOS(es): 1014, 1016, 1017-b2
>> CPU: Intel PIV 3.06GHz
>> 1026 MB RAM
>>
>> the RAID is recognized by DOS and w2k and a partition was created
>> /BIOS-RAIDTool -> fdisk -> format, all fileoperations can be done.
>>
>> But...: just booting is impossible!? An "infinite loop of rebooting"
>> (looks like a "self-reset") is executed, although the boot-files were
>> copied (DOS: format /s) and on the partion :)
>>
>> i checked a lot of BIOS options like Hypertheading OFF, LAN OFF, Audio
>> OFF, no other Harddisks connected, ATA Enhanced Mode: P-ATA or just
>> the compatibility mode, etc. But unfortunatelly without succes. And,
>> of course, the RAID was created as bootable. Did i miss something?
>>
>> and the ASUS-support: i'm waiting .... :/
>>
>> i would kindly appreciate any explanation why the booting doesn't
>> work and/or hints to change that <unsatisfing> state.
>>

>> best regards,
>> markus
>
> How does the OS get a copy of the necessary VT6410 RAID driver ?
> Copying the OS from another disk, without a RAID driver, means
> the OS has no driver to interface to the RAID array.
>
> I bet it would work if you did a fresh install, plus have the
> VT6410 driver handy on a floppy, to install via F6. As to how
> you do that with an existing OS install, it helps a lot if the
> driver will install without finding any hardware - without that
> there probably isn't a way to get the driver into the OS, before
> moving the image to the new array.
>
> Installing the driver after moving the OS to the array, takes a
> repair install. Here are some sample instructions:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=b2qb1g03093%40enews3.newsguy.com
>
> Note: After a repair install, you may have to reinstall any service
> packs, security updates etc. That leaves you exposed to Sasser until
> you've done your updates.
>
> Good luck,
> Paul

thanks Paul, thanks Tim for your replies!

the main problem is, that it does not boot from the RAID at all.
(installed partition on the RAID: bootable primary partition, now just
plain DOS for stepwise evaluation). When the OS should get loaded, it
"resets" itself without any further messages... And i don't need that
infinite loop.

If i boot from a non-RAID-channel, the RAID partition(s) + data are
recognized, by DOS and by w2k (driver installed :)

of course there would be a workaround to install the boot-loader on a
non-RAID-partition and boot then from the RAID, but that's not what i
really want :). i'm just wondering myself...

with a P4B533-E i had no problems (ok, other BIOS..)