modem/connection problems

I've recently had to format two different computers (a
desktop and a laptop both running W98) that until the
format had no problems with the modems and in the case of
the desktop it has been formated a couple of times with no
problems.
But this time I just can't connect through the modem, just
says that there is no dial tone.
I've followed the suggestions that Microsoft make about
unchecking wait for dial tone and then it does dial the
numbers but still wont even make the effort to connect.
All the region settings are correct (UK) and I've just run
out of ideas.

Anyone out there able to help at all?

You might want to check here:
Start > Settings > control panel> device manager
and see if theres a Big Red "X" under the modem selection.
Even an Exclimation mark would be a problem. If there is
one, or your modem isnt listed at all, go ahead and select
the modem and choose "remove" Then right click on the
Computer icon and "scan hardware for changes" To quickly
re-install it. There is most likely an update from your
modems manufacturer out there as well as an update on
microsofts sight.

GL!