P4P800-E Deluxe -- Promise configuration question

Hi,

I've just finished assembling a new system:

P4P800-E Deluxe
P4 3.0 (not overclocked)
2GB RAM
WD1200JD -- SATA drive

Right now, I only have the HD and video card installed. I haven't installed
Windows yet -- I know I will need the SATA drivers on a floppy, and I have
that ready to go. I have powered up the system and tested the RAM overnight
using memtest86, and all is well.

I am not going to use RAID. My SATA drive will be drive C, and I will add a
WD1200JB EIDE drive as D.

Here's my question: In the BIOS setup, Advanced, should I disable the
OnBoard Promise Controller? If I should leave it enabled, should I set the
Operating Mode to IDE (the default is RAID).

Any other BIOS setup suggestions?

Thanks!

John

You should use the ICH5R Controller, not promise.

If you are going to use the Promise controller, you need to enable it, and
you can use either IDE or Raid setting, just use the right Windows Driver.

"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've just finished assembling a new system:
>
> P4P800-E Deluxe
> P4 3.0 (not overclocked)
> 2GB RAM
> WD1200JD -- SATA drive
>
> Right now, I only have the HD and video card installed. I haven't
installed
> Windows yet -- I know I will need the SATA drivers on a floppy, and I have
> that ready to go. I have powered up the system and tested the RAM
overnight
> using memtest86, and all is well.
>
> I am not going to use RAID. My SATA drive will be drive C, and I will add
> WD1200JB EIDE drive as D.
>
> Here's my question: In the BIOS setup, Advanced, should I disable the
> OnBoard Promise Controller? If I should leave it enabled, should I set
the
> Operating Mode to IDE (the default is RAID).
>
> Any other BIOS setup suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> John

Sorry, thought it was a P4C800E Mobo.

Scratch the ICH5R Stuff.

"RaiderNation" <raiderfan@blackhole.com> wrote in message
> You should use the ICH5R Controller, not promise.
>
> If you are going to use the Promise controller, you need to enable it, and
> you can use either IDE or Raid setting, just use the right Windows Driver.
>
> "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just finished assembling a new system:
> >
> > P4P800-E Deluxe
> > P4 3.0 (not overclocked)
> > 2GB RAM
> > WD1200JD -- SATA drive
> >
> > Right now, I only have the HD and video card installed. I haven't
> installed
> > Windows yet -- I know I will need the SATA drivers on a floppy, and I
have
> > that ready to go. I have powered up the system and tested the RAM
> overnight
> > using memtest86, and all is well.
> >
> > I am not going to use RAID. My SATA drive will be drive C, and I will
add
> > WD1200JB EIDE drive as D.
> >
> > Here's my question: In the BIOS setup, Advanced, should I disable the
> > OnBoard Promise Controller? If I should leave it enabled, should I set
> the
> > Operating Mode to IDE (the default is RAID).
> >
> > Any other BIOS setup suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > John

RaiderNation,

Yes, it's the P4P800-E Deluxe board.

I'm not clear if I should use the Promise controller at all. That is,
should I leave it enabled, or disable it? If enabled, then I imagine I
should set the Operating Mode to IDE since I'm not using RAID. Yes?

John

> Sorry, thought it was a P4C800E Mobo.
>
> Scratch the ICH5R Stuff.
>
> "RaiderNation" <raiderfan@blackhole.com> wrote in message
> > You should use the ICH5R Controller, not promise.
> >
> > If you are going to use the Promise controller, you need to enable it,
and
> > you can use either IDE or Raid setting, just use the right Windows
Driver.

> > "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've just finished assembling a new system:
> > >
> > > P4P800-E Deluxe
> > > P4 3.0 (not overclocked)
> > > 2GB RAM
> > > WD1200JD -- SATA drive
> > >
> > > Right now, I only have the HD and video card installed. I haven't
> > installed
> > > Windows yet -- I know I will need the SATA drivers on a floppy, and I
> have
> > > that ready to go. I have powered up the system and tested the RAM
> > overnight
> > > using memtest86, and all is well.
> > >
> > > I am not going to use RAID. My SATA drive will be drive C, and I will
> add
> > > WD1200JB EIDE drive as D.
> > >
> > > Here's my question: In the BIOS setup, Advanced, should I disable the
> > > OnBoard Promise Controller? If I should leave it enabled, should I
set
> > the
> > > Operating Mode to IDE (the default is RAID).
> > >
> > > Any other BIOS setup suggestions?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > John

OK... I've disabled the Promise controller and the system boots fine. When
enabled, I was getting a "searching....." screen and then a message about
BIOS not installed. Since I'm not using RAID, I now conclude I'm better off
with Promise disabled.

John