partition

how do i delete a partition on my second hard drive
9 answers Last reply
More about partition

    First off, be very careful working with partitions as you
    will lose everything (including the drive's formatting) by
    partitioning it. BACK-UP ANYTHING YOU NEED FROM THE DRIVE
    FIRST

    If you are absolutely sure you wish to do this, here is
    how...

    1. Power off your computer
    2. Open computer and disconnect your primary (master) hard
    drive
    3. Configure the jumpers on your second hard drive to
    master
    4. Start your computer with a start-up/boot disk (your
    BIOS may want you to accept changes to your computer's
    settings)
    5. At the DOS prompt, type "FDISK" and press enter
    6. From here you can guide yourself through menu options
    7. If creating a new partition, it must be formatted after
    created
    8. To format the additional partition, restart the
    computer with the boot disk and type "format c:/s" at the
    DOS prompt
    9. When format is complete, your drive is ready to use
    again
    10. Power off the computer
    11. Configure the drive for slave
    12. Attach your primary hard drive.
    13. Power on the computer
    14. Both drives should be ready to use!

    Right click on My Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Disk
    Management. Select the partition you want to delete, then delete it.

    Bill Crocker

    "dragonbeat2" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how do i delete a partition on my second hard drive

    Sure, your method will work. But WHY go through all of that when the tool he
    needs is within Windows XP and he can accomplish it in about 10 seconds.

    Better learn your system.

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Chris W" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > First off, be very careful working with partitions as you
    > will lose everything (including the drive's formatting) by
    > partitioning it. BACK-UP ANYTHING YOU NEED FROM THE DRIVE
    > FIRST
    >
    > If you are absolutely sure you wish to do this, here is
    > how...
    >
    > 1. Power off your computer
    > 2. Open computer and disconnect your primary (master) hard
    > drive
    > 3. Configure the jumpers on your second hard drive to
    > master
    > 4. Start your computer with a start-up/boot disk (your
    > BIOS may want you to accept changes to your computer's
    > settings)
    > 5. At the DOS prompt, type "FDISK" and press enter
    > 6. From here you can guide yourself through menu options
    > 7. If creating a new partition, it must be formatted after
    > created
    > 8. To format the additional partition, restart the
    > computer with the boot disk and type "format c:/s" at the
    > DOS prompt
    > 9. When format is complete, your drive is ready to use
    > again
    > 10. Power off the computer
    > 11. Configure the drive for slave
    > 12. Attach your primary hard drive.
    > 13. Power on the computer
    > 14. Both drives should be ready to use!

    My thoughts exactly !

    Right click on My Computer. Go to "manage. Go to disk management. Identify
    the correct partition you want to delete on the right. Right click. Then
    delete. Now you can create another partition.

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "dragonbeat2" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how do i delete a partition on my second hard drive

    FDISK has proved to be way more dangerous to the uninformed than the
    facility within XP.. FDISK is not overly intuitive for the new user.. your
    method also requires disassembling to get to drive jumpers, being able to
    decipher the label on the drive to work out where the jumper should be,
    pulling cables off to get the room necessary to change the jumpers, having a
    Win 98 boot diskette (not supplied with XP) to actually do the job, and then
    reassembly.. XP can do the job easily, and the user gets to see a graphical
    view which is a little more reassuring than the black screen and five
    commands presented by FDISK.. your first statement re backing up any data is
    valid, however..

    "Chris W" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > First off, be very careful working with partitions as you
    > will lose everything (including the drive's formatting) by
    > partitioning it. BACK-UP ANYTHING YOU NEED FROM THE DRIVE
    > FIRST
    >
    > If you are absolutely sure you wish to do this, here is
    > how...
    >
    > 1. Power off your computer
    > 2. Open computer and disconnect your primary (master) hard
    > drive
    > 3. Configure the jumpers on your second hard drive to
    > master
    > 4. Start your computer with a start-up/boot disk (your
    > BIOS may want you to accept changes to your computer's
    > settings)
    > 5. At the DOS prompt, type "FDISK" and press enter
    > 6. From here you can guide yourself through menu options
    > 7. If creating a new partition, it must be formatted after
    > created
    > 8. To format the additional partition, restart the
    > computer with the boot disk and type "format c:/s" at the
    > DOS prompt
    > 9. When format is complete, your drive is ready to use
    > again
    > 10. Power off the computer
    > 11. Configure the drive for slave
    > 12. Attach your primary hard drive.
    > 13. Power on the computer
    > 14. Both drives should be ready to use!

    I am only using 16% of my single hard drive 40 gig and want do a 30/10 partition how can I do this without losing my XP operating system and files

    "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
    > I am only using 16% of my single hard drive 40 gig and want do a 30/10
    partition how can I do this without losing my XP operating system and files

    Partition Magic.

    There are only a couple of ways you can do this. If you have XP Home
    Edition, dynamic disks is not an option. In XP Pro, it is possible to
    resize partitions without losing data on a dynamic disk. In Home, your
    only hope is going to be a program like Partition Magic which can
    resize, relable, etc., partitions without losing data.

    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

    Nathan McNulty

    Jim wrote:

    > I am only using 16% of my single hard drive 40 gig and want do a 30/10 partition how can I do this without losing my XP operating system and files
    >
    > "Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" wrote:
    >

    >>Right click on My Computer. Go to "manage. Go to disk management. Identify
    >>the correct partition you want to delete on the right. Right click. Then
    >>delete. Now you can create another partition.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Regards:
    >>
    >>Richard Urban
    >>
    >>aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >>
    >>"dragonbeat2" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>how do i delete a partition on my second hard drive

Hardware Partition Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP