partition

May 22, 2004 9:04:35 AM

how do i delete a partition on my second hard drive

More about : partition

Anonymous
May 22, 2004 9:43:38 AM

First off, be very careful working with partitions as you
will lose everything (including the drive's formatting) by
partitioning it. BACK-UP ANYTHING YOU NEED FROM THE DRIVE
FIRST

If you are absolutely sure you wish to do this, here is
how...

1. Power off your computer
2. Open computer and disconnect your primary (master) hard
drive
3. Configure the jumpers on your second hard drive to
master
4. Start your computer with a start-up/boot disk (your
BIOS may want you to accept changes to your computer's
settings)
5. At the DOS prompt, type "FDISK" and press enter
6. From here you can guide yourself through menu options
7. If creating a new partition, it must be formatted after
created
8. To format the additional partition, restart the
computer with the boot disk and type "format c:/s" at the
DOS prompt
9. When format is complete, your drive is ready to use
again
10. Power off the computer
11. Configure the drive for slave
12. Attach your primary hard drive.
13. Power on the computer
14. Both drives should be ready to use!

Anonymous
May 22, 2004 1:17:30 PM

Right click on My Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Disk
Management. Select the partition you want to delete, then delete it.

Bill Crocker

"dragonbeat2" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do i delete a partition on my second hard drive
May 22, 2004 2:33:32 PM

Sure, your method will work. But WHY go through all of that when the tool he
needs is within Windows XP and he can accomplish it in about 10 seconds.

Better learn your system.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Chris W" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> First off, be very careful working with partitions as you
> will lose everything (including the drive's formatting) by
> partitioning it. BACK-UP ANYTHING YOU NEED FROM THE DRIVE
> FIRST
>
> If you are absolutely sure you wish to do this, here is
> how...
>
> 1. Power off your computer
> 2. Open computer and disconnect your primary (master) hard
> drive
> 3. Configure the jumpers on your second hard drive to
> master
> 4. Start your computer with a start-up/boot disk (your
> BIOS may want you to accept changes to your computer's
> settings)
> 5. At the DOS prompt, type "FDISK" and press enter
> 6. From here you can guide yourself through menu options
> 7. If creating a new partition, it must be formatted after
> created
> 8. To format the additional partition, restart the
> computer with the boot disk and type "format c:/s" at the
> DOS prompt
> 9. When format is complete, your drive is ready to use
> again
> 10. Power off the computer
> 11. Configure the drive for slave
> 12. Attach your primary hard drive.
> 13. Power on the computer
> 14. Both drives should be ready to use!

Anonymous
May 22, 2004 2:33:33 PM

My thoughts exactly !

Anonymous
May 22, 2004 2:35:06 PM

Right click on My Computer. Go to "manage. Go to disk management. Identify
the correct partition you want to delete on the right. Right click. Then
delete. Now you can create another partition.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"dragonbeat2" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do i delete a partition on my second hard drive
May 22, 2004 3:20:47 PM

FDISK has proved to be way more dangerous to the uninformed than the
facility within XP.. FDISK is not overly intuitive for the new user.. your
method also requires disassembling to get to drive jumpers, being able to
decipher the label on the drive to work out where the jumper should be,
pulling cables off to get the room necessary to change the jumpers, having a
Win 98 boot diskette (not supplied with XP) to actually do the job, and then
reassembly.. XP can do the job easily, and the user gets to see a graphical
view which is a little more reassuring than the black screen and five
commands presented by FDISK.. your first statement re backing up any data is
valid, however..

"Chris W" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> First off, be very careful working with partitions as you
> will lose everything (including the drive's formatting) by
> partitioning it. BACK-UP ANYTHING YOU NEED FROM THE DRIVE
> FIRST
>
> If you are absolutely sure you wish to do this, here is
> how...
>
> 1. Power off your computer
> 2. Open computer and disconnect your primary (master) hard
> drive
> 3. Configure the jumpers on your second hard drive to
> master
> 4. Start your computer with a start-up/boot disk (your
> BIOS may want you to accept changes to your computer's
> settings)
> 5. At the DOS prompt, type "FDISK" and press enter
> 6. From here you can guide yourself through menu options
> 7. If creating a new partition, it must be formatted after
> created
> 8. To format the additional partition, restart the
> computer with the boot disk and type "format c:/s" at the
> DOS prompt
> 9. When format is complete, your drive is ready to use
> again
> 10. Power off the computer
> 11. Configure the drive for slave
> 12. Attach your primary hard drive.
> 13. Power on the computer
> 14. Both drives should be ready to use!

July 14, 2004 10:56:02 AM

I am only using 16% of my single hard drive 40 gig and want do a 30/10 partition how can I do this without losing my XP operating system and files

"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" wrote:

> Right click on My Computer. Go to "manage. Go to disk management. Identify
> the correct partition you want to delete on the right. Right click. Then
> delete. Now you can create another partition.
>
> --
> Regards:
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>
> "dragonbeat2" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > how do i delete a partition on my second hard drive

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 1:54:03 PM

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
> I am only using 16% of my single hard drive 40 gig and want do a 30/10
partition how can I do this without losing my XP operating system and files

Partition Magic.
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 4:37:02 PM

There are only a couple of ways you can do this. If you have XP Home
Edition, dynamic disks is not an option. In XP Pro, it is possible to
resize partitions without losing data on a dynamic disk. In Home, your
only hope is going to be a program like Partition Magic which can
resize, relable, etc., partitions without losing data.

http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

Nathan McNulty

!