Compaq 7020/5030?

jyn

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2001
Hi! I am thinking of buying a Compaq 7020 or 5030, but I don't know which one is better. 5030 seems to be too much expensive for a 15' TFT and 7020 seems to be too large to me. I only need the TFT to do some gaming and programming and wathing DVD sometimes. I can't decide which one is better.
I don't plan to change the TFT in 4 years, but 7020 are still too advanced and expensive to me. Could anyone give me any suggestions?
I've just lived in Chicago for a month, so I am quite unfamiliar to this city. Does anyone know some good computer stores in Chicago? Shopping online is not that same, especially to TFT displays.
Thanks.
Robert Jing

Linux!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
The 5030 has a great price- before it came out, a top of the line 15" LCD was 1000$! Also, the 7020 is great, whichever one you choose you'll be happy with. Go for the 5030- it's really great if you don't want a large monitor.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

G

If you want to do gaming and watch DVDs on your TFT screen, you will need to spend a little extra $$$ to get the fastest response time you can. A slow rs ( greater than 40ms )will make both look bad. The Compaq monitors you're considering are not the cheapest on the market, but to get better quality and specs, you're going to have to pay more.

If you can't afford a good one, I would recommend staying with a CRT for a couple years.

If you can afford it, get on of these. I have the 7020 and love it! If you can swing it, do it (I've never known ANYONE who thought an LCD monitor was too big or too advanced, and didn't love it a year later). Also, if you have and friends in Education, Compaq gives great institutional discounts (I got my 7020 for $645 in Illinois). See if a friend can hook you up.

Save the children :smile:

G

I got the discount as an employee, but students were also eligible. Basically, the University store buys it at the discount and then sells it to students or staff at cost (plus tax). I only really know how we do it here, so you'll have to check out your situation. I had to request that my store order the monitor and get a quote, so you may have to do a little legwork, but it's totally worth it!

Save the children :smile:

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
my stupid computer store doesn't want to deal with compaq at all.
Maybe I'll have to go through a Circuit City or some other company that carries compaq products.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Never been to Curcuit City, but if they carry Compaq's then I just may be taking a trip there to buy it. I guess it's time I stopped waiting b/c teh 911 incident. Anyways, if teh ask teh Wiz very politely, they may put it into their stock- u have to contact this guy- ask an employee there.

If it's working...overclock it!