Water cooling system for CPU.......

Hi,

I saw for the first time one of those water cooling
systems for the CPU. It looked very geeky, with the
knobs, meters etc. Does anybody know anything about
these units? Does anybody actually own one?
Real curious as to the effectiveness.

TIA,

Dennis
8 answers Last reply
More about water cooling system

    "Dennis" <Dennis_The_Menace@no_spam.net> wrote in message

    | --
    |
    | Hi,
    |
    | I saw for the first time one of those water cooling
    | systems for the CPU. It looked very geeky, with the
    | knobs, meters etc. Does anybody know anything about
    | these units? Does anybody actually own one?
    | Real curious as to the effectiveness.
    |
    | TIA,
    |
    | Dennis

    The bottom line is a water cooler is a lot of money. Your money is
    better spent buying a fast CPU and a decent HSF unless you live in a
    tropical climate and have no air conditioning, then water cooling
    might be a reasonable investment.
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Dennis wrote:

    Take a look at this article on TomsHardware.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040630/index.html

    A fellow Soyo expatriate? I was thinking that Paul here reminded me of John
    Howland.

    TomC

    TomC wrote:
    > A fellow Soyo expatriate? I was thinking that Paul here reminded me of John
    > Howland.
    >
    > TomC
    >
    > "stanmc" <stanmcn0spam@ameritech.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dennis wrote:
    >>
    >>Take a look at this article on TomsHardware.
    >>
    >>http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040630/index.html

    I still have my Soyo K7VTAPro. Works fine. My newest board is an ASUS
    A7N8X-Del. My 5EMA was donated to a friend of a friend. I've had good
    luck with SOYO.

    My browser stripped out Dennis's comment. It also displayed it oddly.
    Anyone heard from John Howland?

    Kylesb wrote:

    > "Dennis" <Dennis_The_Menace@no_spam.net> wrote in message
    > |
    > | --
    > |
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | I saw for the first time one of those water cooling
    > | systems for the CPU. It looked very geeky, with the
    > | knobs, meters etc. Does anybody know anything about
    > | these units? Does anybody actually own one?
    > | Real curious as to the effectiveness.
    > |
    > | TIA,
    > |
    > | Dennis
    > |

    > The bottom line is a water cooler is a lot of money. Your money is
    > better spent buying a fast CPU and a decent HSF unless you live in a
    > tropical climate and have no air conditioning, then water cooling
    > might be a reasonable investment.
    The article on Tom's hardware showed prices from $199 to $500. I'd
    rather get a $50 Heat Sink and large, quiet fan.

    > Anyone heard from John Howland?

    I guess he made a clean break. He was one of my main reasons for buying
    Soyo. I wish they had hired him.

    I'm still running one K7VTA Pro v1 as my main personal computer, another
    with bulging, leaking capacitors as one of the spares, and my last 5EMA+
    v1.0 is in the basement. It still works if I disable the CPU cache -- a hair
    in the CPU fan for maybe two minutes fried the cache.

    Except for the last board, I never had a hardware problem with a Soyo mobo
    beyond bad caps (which also was not Soyo's fault), and the boards still run
    with bad caps.

    > Kylesb wrote:
    >
    > > "Dennis" <Dennis_The_Menace@no_spam.net> wrote in message
    > > |
    > > | --
    > > |
    > > | Hi,
    > > |
    > > | I saw for the first time one of those water cooling
    > > | systems for the CPU. It looked very geeky, with the
    > > | knobs, meters etc. Does anybody know anything about
    > > | these units? Does anybody actually own one?
    > > | Real curious as to the effectiveness.
    > > |
    > > | TIA,
    > > |
    > > | Dennis
    > > |

    > > The bottom line is a water cooler is a lot of money. Your money is
    > > better spent buying a fast CPU and a decent HSF unless you live in a
    > > tropical climate and have no air conditioning, then water cooling
    > > might be a reasonable investment.
    > The article on Tom's hardware showed prices from $199 to $500. I'd
    > rather get a $50 Heat Sink and large, quiet fan.

    The main consideration is noise..
    Even if your using ice cream cartons to make a path for the HSF air to go
    straight out of the system, it's still going to be hotter in there than it
    would be with water cooling. Water cooling means you can keep the cpu at a
    nice temp, keep the internals cooler (fans can be @ 7v/5v or maybee most can
    be off)
    If your tired of the noise then I say look at this.. If I would have went
    with watercooling from the start, then I would have a system that's not as
    noisy as what I have now (and that cost less)..

    Of course, It all depends on what he wants to do too.. and he'll probably
    need to step up around the 250 - 300$ mark to cool the NB, SB, Video,
    Processor, & whatever else..

    He could go the DIY path and do much better too (but I get the impression he
    was just trolling)

    I love mine wouldnt have it no other way at all! My p4 extreme runs at
    89 deg all day long! and so does ati 9800 pro xt and so does chipset and
    it very very quite! I use the koolance watercooling system. I it is the
    best money i ever spent for my pc i will also do it to my other 3 pcs.
    No matter what anyone says it is worth not hearing a fan try and cool a
    chip down to 100 deg f at 5000 rpms all day long . It is much more
    efficiant and much more effective if you wants some pics i will email
    them to ya.

    Kylesb wrote:
    > "Dennis" <Dennis_The_Menace@no_spam.net> wrote in message
    > |
    > | --
    > |
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | I saw for the first time one of those water cooling
    > | systems for the CPU. It looked very geeky, with the
    > | knobs, meters etc. Does anybody know anything about
    > | these units? Does anybody actually own one?
    > | Real curious as to the effectiveness.
    > |
    > | TIA,
    > |
    > | Dennis
    > |

    > The bottom line is a water cooler is a lot of money. Your money is
    > better spent buying a fast CPU and a decent HSF unless you live in a
    > tropical climate and have no air conditioning, then water cooling
    > might be a reasonable investment.

Asus Water Cooling CPUs Motherboards