Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi
I have a asus txp4 motherboard,i put a 4.3 hard drive in it the
cmos see,s a 4.3 gig drive but win98 sec only see's it as a 1.7.
Anyone know how i can fix this Thank you

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:05:34 -0500, in <alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus>,
Jerry <wabbit@grnco.net> wrote:

> Hi
> I have a asus txp4 motherboard,i put a 4.3 hard drive in it the
> cmos see,s a 4.3 gig drive but win98 sec only see's it as a 1.7.
> Anyone know how i can fix this Thank you

Did you re-partition/re-format that drive before attempting to load Windows?
Or did you simply plop it in "as is"?

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------

-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law. Violators are subject to prosecution.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ya know jay i really dont rememeber,i think windows formated the drive
before installing. but like you said i just poped it in,let the cmos
auto detect it showed a 4.3gig drive so i just lrt it boot from the
windows cd and go.so ya think i have to wipe the drive out and start
over again? I was thinking of useing fdisk and see if the partition is
set to use 100% of the drive. What do you think?
On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:57:20 -0400, Jay T. Blocksom
<not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:05:34 -0500, in <alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus>,
>Jerry <wabbit@grnco.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > I have a asus txp4 motherboard,i put a 4.3 hard drive in it the
> > cmos see,s a 4.3 gig drive but win98 sec only see's it as a 1.7.
> > Anyone know how i can fix this Thank you
>
>Did you re-partition/re-format that drive before attempting to load Windows?
>Or did you simply plop it in "as is"?

[Bass-ackwards upside-down posting fixed]

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 07:40:58 -0500, in <alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus>,
Jerry <wabbit@grnco.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:57:20 -0400, Jay T. Blocksom
> <not.deliverable+USENET@appropriate-tech.net> wrote:

[snip]

> >Did you re-partition/re-format that drive before attempting to load
> >Windows? Or did you simply plop it in "as is"?
>
> Ya know jay i really dont rememeber,i think windows formated the drive
> before installing. but like you said i just poped it in,let the cmos
> auto detect it showed a 4.3gig drive so i just lrt it boot from the
> windows cd and go.
[snip]

Or IOW, you started in the middle.

In which case, it is near-certain that you have multiple partitions defined on
that drive; and by default, Windows Setup would only concern itself with the
"Primary DOS Partition". So while it *may* have reformatted that partition,
it would not (and should not) have re-partitioned the physical drive.

> so ya think i have to wipe the drive out and start
> over again?
[snip]

Maybe. It can't hurt, of course; but it *may* not be necessary. Depending on
the details of existing partitioning scheme, it may well be eminently suitable
for your (single-boot, single-user, I presume) installation of Windows. For
example, my S.O.P. for setting up WinBoxes (especially DOS-based versions of
same, which Win9x is) is to use three logical drives in two partitions: The
Primary DOS Partition is, of course, bootable; and it is dedicated to Drive
C:, which in turn is dedicated to the OS and application program
installations. The "Extended DOS Partition" contains Drive D:, where *ALL*
user data lives (thus making for neat, simple backups); and a smallish Drive
E: which is dedicated to the Windows swap file and various TMP/TEMP folders --
i.e., purely scratch space, which is never used to store anything "important".
If the system contains two physical drives, and the relative sizes of those
physical drives works out conveniently, I generally try to put Drive E: on the
same physical drive as Drive C:, and leave Drive D: by itself on the second
physical drive; this provides the greatest degree of isolation between the
data files and the fallout from a messier-than-usual Windows crash.

> I was thinking of useing fdisk and see if the partition is
> set to use 100% of the drive. What do you think?
[snip]

I think that the setup process for ANY new Win9x installation *always* begins
with FDISK -- if for no other reason than to confirm that the existing
partitioning scheme is suitable for your intended purpose.

I also think that as long as you're installing Win98 from scratch, you really
ought to do it right: <http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html>.

--

Jay T. Blocksom