P4P800 E de luxe System failed CPU test.

Hi,

I've read several postings with the same problem i'm having, but no
defintive solution.
System Failed CPU test message from speech reporter.
CPU is OK in other boards.
Some say there is a problem with the Power supply.
Others say there is problem with the AGP card.
I read messages about the weight of the cooler being a problem.

The most likely cause wich i can't test is that i have no 4 pin 12V
connector on my PSU. Is this manadatory?

Or is is it just another RMA case?

Regards,
Henk

"Henk WIeland" <henk_wieland@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've read several postings with the same problem i'm having, but no
> defintive solution.
> System Failed CPU test message from speech reporter.
> CPU is OK in other boards.
> Some say there is a problem with the Power supply.
> Others say there is problem with the AGP card.
> I read messages about the weight of the cooler being a problem.
>
> The most likely cause wich i can't test is that i have no 4 pin 12V
> connector on my PSU. Is this manadatory?
>
> Or is is it just another RMA case?

I'd say the lack of a 4 pin connector (which supplies power
to the CPU) is probably the cause. Without it, all the CPU
current (P4s are quite power hungry) has to flow through the
normal ATX power connector and then the mobo tracks.
I've even heard of cases where the mobo ATX connector got
so hot (without the 4 pin CPU power plug connected) that it
literally melted, so it's possible that you have damaged the mobo :(
I'd try RMAing it and get yourself a new P4-ready PSU anyway
(they're not that expensive - just make sure it supplies at least 16A
on the +12V line and is rated at 300W or (preferably) higher.)
HTH
--
Rob

Paul

Splendid

In article <cc170d$hfv$1@south.jnrs.ja.net>, "Rob Hemmings"
<SpamDaMan@nowhere.noway.con> wrote:

> "Henk WIeland" <henk_wieland@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've read several postings with the same problem i'm having, but no
> > defintive solution.
> > System Failed CPU test message from speech reporter.
> > CPU is OK in other boards.
> > Some say there is a problem with the Power supply.
> > Others say there is problem with the AGP card.
> > I read messages about the weight of the cooler being a problem.
> >
> > The most likely cause wich i can't test is that i have no 4 pin 12V
> > connector on my PSU. Is this manadatory?
> >
> > Or is is it just another RMA case?
>
> I'd say the lack of a 4 pin connector (which supplies power
> to the CPU) is probably the cause. Without it, all the CPU
> current (P4s are quite power hungry) has to flow through the
> normal ATX power connector and then the mobo tracks.
> I've even heard of cases where the mobo ATX connector got
> so hot (without the 4 pin CPU power plug connected) that it
> literally melted, so it's possible that you have damaged the mobo :(
> I'd try RMAing it and get yourself a new P4-ready PSU anyway
> (they're not that expensive - just make sure it supplies at least 16A
> on the +12V line and is rated at 300W or (preferably) higher.)
> HTH

Not to worry. The single +12V pin on the ATX20 pin connector is
not connected to the processor power circuit, so you cannot burn
it. There were a few motherboard designs that made that mistake,
but I think that is a thing of the past. The 2x2 ATX12V is the
sole source of power for the processor - if it is disconnected
then the processor gets no power at all.

I measured the power flowing in the single +12V wire on the ATX20
pin connector on my system, and it measured 0.41A. I think that
is the current to run my Zalman 7000A fan.

Your existing power supply probably doesn't have enough current
capability on the +12V to run your system. So, even if you made
an adapter, to go from two drive connectors to a 2x2 ATX12V
connector, the power supply would probably be overloaded on
+12V. A 15 or 16 amp limit on the power supply +12V output is
enough for a basic computer system with high end P4. With
Prescott, you may want a little bit more. Similarly, if you
have a lot of disk drives.

HTH,
Paul

nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message news:<nospam-0107041456320001@192.168.1.177>...
> In article <cc170d$hfv$1@south.jnrs.ja.net>, "Rob Hemmings"
> <SpamDaMan@nowhere.noway.con> wrote:
>
> > "Henk WIeland" <henk_wieland@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've read several postings with the same problem i'm having, but no
> > > defintive solution.
> > > System Failed CPU test message from speech reporter.
> > > CPU is OK in other boards.
> > > Some say there is a problem with the Power supply.
> > > Others say there is problem with the AGP card.
> > > I read messages about the weight of the cooler being a problem.
> > >
> > > The most likely cause wich i can't test is that i have no 4 pin 12V
> > > connector on my PSU. Is this manadatory?
> > >
> > > Or is is it just another RMA case?
> >
> > I'd say the lack of a 4 pin connector (which supplies power
> > to the CPU) is probably the cause. Without it, all the CPU
> > current (P4s are quite power hungry) has to flow through the
> > normal ATX power connector and then the mobo tracks.
> > I've even heard of cases where the mobo ATX connector got
> > so hot (without the 4 pin CPU power plug connected) that it
> > literally melted, so it's possible that you have damaged the mobo :(
> > I'd try RMAing it and get yourself a new P4-ready PSU anyway
> > (they're not that expensive - just make sure it supplies at least 16A
> > on the +12V line and is rated at 300W or (preferably) higher.)
> > HTH
>
> Not to worry. The single +12V pin on the ATX20 pin connector is
> not connected to the processor power circuit, so you cannot burn
> it. There were a few motherboard designs that made that mistake,
> but I think that is a thing of the past. The 2x2 ATX12V is the
> sole source of power for the processor - if it is disconnected
> then the processor gets no power at all.
>
> I measured the power flowing in the single +12V wire on the ATX20
> pin connector on my system, and it measured 0.41A. I think that
> is the current to run my Zalman 7000A fan.
>
> Your existing power supply probably doesn't have enough current
> capability on the +12V to run your system. So, even if you made
> an adapter, to go from two drive connectors to a 2x2 ATX12V
> connector, the power supply would probably be overloaded on
> +12V. A 15 or 16 amp limit on the power supply +12V output is
> enough for a basic computer system with high end P4. With
> Prescott, you may want a little bit more. Similarly, if you
> have a lot of disk drives.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Ok guys thx for the input.
So it is mandatory?
Then i will go out and buy myself a new PSU.
But i will need i really quiet one. Any recommandations?
Not to expensive ofcourse (i am Dutch you know ;-)).

rgds,
Henk

Paul

Splendid

In article <ab5ab6d0.0407020727.6c3cefbd@posting.google.com>,
henk_wieland@hotmail.com (Henk WIeland) wrote:

> nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message
> > In article <cc170d$hfv$1@south.jnrs.ja.net>, "Rob Hemmings"
> > <SpamDaMan@nowhere.noway.con> wrote:
> >
> > > "Henk WIeland" <henk_wieland@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > I'd say the lack of a 4 pin connector (which supplies power
> > > to the CPU) is probably the cause. Without it, all the CPU
> > > current (P4s are quite power hungry) has to flow through the
> > > normal ATX power connector and then the mobo tracks.
> > > I've even heard of cases where the mobo ATX connector got
> > > so hot (without the 4 pin CPU power plug connected) that it
> > > literally melted, so it's possible that you have damaged the mobo :(
> > > I'd try RMAing it and get yourself a new P4-ready PSU anyway
> > > (they're not that expensive - just make sure it supplies at least 16A
> > > on the +12V line and is rated at 300W or (preferably) higher.)
> > > HTH
> >
> > Not to worry. The single +12V pin on the ATX20 pin connector is
> > not connected to the processor power circuit, so you cannot burn
> > it. There were a few motherboard designs that made that mistake,
> > but I think that is a thing of the past. The 2x2 ATX12V is the
> > sole source of power for the processor - if it is disconnected
> > then the processor gets no power at all.
> >
> > I measured the power flowing in the single +12V wire on the ATX20
> > pin connector on my system, and it measured 0.41A. I think that
> > is the current to run my Zalman 7000A fan.
> >
> > Your existing power supply probably doesn't have enough current
> > capability on the +12V to run your system. So, even if you made
> > an adapter, to go from two drive connectors to a 2x2 ATX12V
> > connector, the power supply would probably be overloaded on
> > +12V. A 15 or 16 amp limit on the power supply +12V output is
> > enough for a basic computer system with high end P4. With
> > Prescott, you may want a little bit more. Similarly, if you
> > have a lot of disk drives.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Paul
>
> Ok guys thx for the input.
> So it is mandatory?
> Then i will go out and buy myself a new PSU.
> But i will need i really quiet one. Any recommandations?
> Not to expensive ofcourse (i am Dutch you know ;-)).
>
> rgds,
> Henk

As the 2x2 ATX12V connector is the only way for the processor to
get power, it is mandatory.

Antec, Enermax, Fortron/Sparkle, Seasonic are a few names.
Availability of power supplies varies from country to country,
so you may have a different set of choices than the rest of us.
Tomshardware has had a few reviews of power supplies, and that
may give you some ideas of which ones are good and bad.

Check the "how-to" section of Toms. I found these via the article
search engine on the web page, using search term "power supplies".

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20030609/index.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/index.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/index.html

This one has a good efficiency rating - FSP400-60PFN :
http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20030609/power_supplies-10.html

With any power supply, don't buy them by total power alone.
Make sure they can supply at least 15 amps on the +12V output,
for a P4 or an Athlon64 board. (The K8V boards use that 2x2
connector also.)

HTH,
Paul

TRENDING THREADS