Gfx Card Prob :S

Hi,

I am experiencing a weird problem with both CS 1.6 & CS:CZ ; altough it
doesnt happen with HL² or CS:S

I have a PowerColor ATi Radeon 9600 Pro (256mB) and this one seems to
freeze after a little while everytime i play 1.6 or CZ. Even Though ATi
VPU Recover manages to restart the GFx Card 2 or 3 times, it's not able
to restart it everytime .. and i always end up by rebooting my system ;
which is, believe me, quite annoying when u are enjoying ur game :(

Anyone already had this prob or know how to solve it ? it doesn't happen
with CS:S nor with HL² so iwould think its engine related. Altough i'd
like to hear your advices if you have any. And don't tell me "Just Play
Source" :p I still got friends on 1.6 & on CZ :)

Machine Specs :
P4 2,4GHz
512 MB Ram
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro (256mB) AGP

Driver Version Info :
CATALYST Version : 05.2
2D Version : 6.14.10.6512
Packaging Version : 8.10-050119a-020581C
ATi

Any Help Would be appreciated !

tofou

n00b4Ev3r wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am experiencing a weird problem with both CS 1.6 & CS:CZ ; altough it
> doesnt happen with HL² or CS:S
>
> I have a PowerColor ATi Radeon 9600 Pro (256mB) and this one seems to
> freeze after a little while everytime i play 1.6 or CZ. Even Though ATi
> VPU Recover manages to restart the GFx Card 2 or 3 times, it's not able
> to restart it everytime .. and i always end up by rebooting my system ;
> which is, believe me, quite annoying when u are enjoying ur game :(
>
> Anyone already had this prob or know how to solve it ? it doesn't happen
> with CS:S nor with HL² so iwould think its engine related. Altough i'd
> like to hear your advices if you have any. And don't tell me "Just Play
> Source" :p I still got friends on 1.6 & on CZ :)
>
> Machine Specs :
> P4 2,4GHz
> 512 MB Ram
> ATi Radeon 9600 Pro (256mB) AGP
>
> Driver Version Info :
> CATALYST Version : 05.2
> 2D Version : 6.14.10.6512
> Packaging Version : 8.10-050119a-020581C
> ATi
>

> Any Help Would be appreciated !
A friend of mine fixed this problem.
All he had to do is gradually "crank" the voltage of the AGP slot.
until he reached a stable state.
He as a setting in is bios to this.
Maby you too and see.

Also it COULD be your Power supply not delivering anough juice to your
APG Video card, i THINK the minimum requirement for a 9600 Pro 256 AGP
is 400 Watts.

Try turning off the VPU Recover

PIC HERE:
http://www.foxpop.com/imre/2005/vpurecover/aticatalyst_turnoffvpucrecover.gif

Site:
http://www.foxpop.com/imre/2005/vpurecover/vpurecover.html

Hope this help

Tofou <tofou911@Gmail.com> wrote in

> n00b4Ev3r wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am experiencing a weird problem with both CS 1.6 & CS:CZ ; altough
>> it doesnt happen with HL² or CS:S
>>
>> I have a PowerColor ATi Radeon 9600 Pro (256mB) and this one seems to
>> freeze after a little while everytime i play 1.6 or CZ. Even Though
>> ATi VPU Recover manages to restart the GFx Card 2 or 3 times, it's
>> not able to restart it everytime .. and i always end up by rebooting
>> my system ; which is, believe me, quite annoying when u are enjoying
>> ur game :(
>>
>> Anyone already had this prob or know how to solve it ? it doesn't
>> happen with CS:S nor with HL² so iwould think its engine related.
>> Altough i'd like to hear your advices if you have any. And don't
>> tell me "Just Play Source" :p I still got friends on 1.6 & on CZ :)
>>
>> Machine Specs :
>> P4 2,4GHz
>> 512 MB Ram
>> ATi Radeon 9600 Pro (256mB) AGP
>>
>> Driver Version Info :
>> CATALYST Version : 05.2
>> 2D Version : 6.14.10.6512
>> Packaging Version : 8.10-050119a-020581C
>> ATi
>>

>> Any Help Would be appreciated !
> A friend of mine fixed this problem.
> All he had to do is gradually "crank" the voltage of the AGP slot.
> until he reached a stable state.
> He as a setting in is bios to this.
> Maby you too and see.
>
> Also it COULD be your Power supply not delivering anough juice to your
> APG Video card, i THINK the minimum requirement for a 9600 Pro 256 AGP
> is 400 Watts.
>
> Try turning off the VPU Recover
>
> PIC HERE:
> http://www.foxpop.com/imre/2005/vpurecover/aticatalyst_turnoffvpucrecov
> er.gif
>
> Site:
> http://www.foxpop.com/imre/2005/vpurecover/vpurecover.html
>
> Hope this help

Think it might be the PSU then (i only got a 300 Watts in here) ; i
forgot to watch that bit when receiving this pc & plugging my gfx card
in.
I got a 450 Watts Somewhere ; will try to change to that one.

About disabling VPU recove .. all it does, is have me reboot the computer
directly instead of after 3 or 4 times beeing recovered.

/me thinks its the PSU :p .. 300watts .. :eek: :D

;)

thanx for pointing this out Tofou :D

Cheerz

MagicMaker <nomail@spam.com> wrote in

> Tofou <tofou911@Gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> n00b4Ev3r wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am experiencing a weird problem with both CS 1.6 & CS:CZ ; altough
>>> it doesnt happen with HL² or CS:S
>>>
>>> I have a PowerColor ATi Radeon 9600 Pro (256mB) and this one seems
>>> to freeze after a little while everytime i play 1.6 or CZ. Even
>>> Though ATi VPU Recover manages to restart the GFx Card 2 or 3 times,
>>> it's not able to restart it everytime .. and i always end up by
>>> rebooting my system ; which is, believe me, quite annoying when u
>>> are enjoying ur game :(
>>>
>>> Anyone already had this prob or know how to solve it ? it doesn't
>>> happen with CS:S nor with HL² so iwould think its engine related.
>>> Altough i'd like to hear your advices if you have any. And don't
>>> tell me "Just Play Source" :p I still got friends on 1.6 & on CZ :)
>>>
>>> Machine Specs :
>>> P4 2,4GHz
>>> 512 MB Ram
>>> ATi Radeon 9600 Pro (256mB) AGP
>>>
>>> Driver Version Info :
>>> CATALYST Version : 05.2
>>> 2D Version : 6.14.10.6512
>>> Packaging Version : 8.10-050119a-020581C
>>> ATi
>>>

>>> Any Help Would be appreciated !
>> A friend of mine fixed this problem.
>> All he had to do is gradually "crank" the voltage of the AGP slot.
>> until he reached a stable state.
>> He as a setting in is bios to this.
>> Maby you too and see.
>>
>> Also it COULD be your Power supply not delivering anough juice to
>> your APG Video card, i THINK the minimum requirement for a 9600 Pro
>> 256 AGP is 400 Watts.
>>
>> Try turning off the VPU Recover
>>
>> PIC HERE:
>> http://www.foxpop.com/imre/2005/vpurecover/aticatalyst_turnoffvpucreco
>> v er.gif
>>
>> Site:
>> http://www.foxpop.com/imre/2005/vpurecover/vpurecover.html
>>
>> Hope this help
>

> Think it might be the PSU then (i only got a 300 Watts in here) ; i
> forgot to watch that bit when receiving this pc & plugging my gfx card
> in.
> I got a 450 Watts Somewhere ; will try to change to that one.
>
> About disabling VPU recove .. all it does, is have me reboot the
> computer directly instead of after 3 or 4 times beeing recovered.
>
> /me thinks its the PSU :p .. 300watts .. :eek: :D
>
> ;)
>
> thanx for pointing this out Tofou :D
>
> Cheerz

ay ye ... MagicMaker && n00b4Ev3r = Same single Guy (damn Xnews not
saving settings :p)

Uzi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

MagicMaker <nomail@spam.com> wrote in message

> > Think it might be the PSU then (i only got a 300 Watts in here) ; i
> > forgot to watch that bit when receiving this pc & plugging my gfx card
> > in.
> > I got a 450 Watts Somewhere ; will try to change to that one.
> >
> > About disabling VPU recove .. all it does, is have me reboot the
> > computer directly instead of after 3 or 4 times beeing recovered.
> >
> > /me thinks its the PSU :p .. 300watts .. :eek: :D
> >
> > ;)
> >
> > thanx for pointing this out Tofou :D
> >
> > Cheerz

You didnt say whether you were running CS1.6 in DirectX mode or OpenGL mode
when the game freezes.
I find OpenGL mode much more stable with CS1.6.
If it was the CPU at fault then why doesn't it freeze in CSS or HL2? Surely
those games demand more from your card than the old HL1 engine?