New Asus P4 PCI Express MB's

I was looking at the Asus web site and noticed there are several new
boards listed with new Intel chipsets 925X, 915P and 915G. I was
trying to learn more about these boards in this newsgroup and didn't
see a single post. Perhaps they are very new and were just posted
today on the Asus page. I have been holding off upgrading for an
Intel Pentium Asus PCI express board, now there are several to choose
from. Any comments on the various boards from anyone?

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm#socket478
1 answer Last reply
More about asus express

    In article <8c4c07a7.0407010838.36698aee@posting.google.com>,
    g_gaeta_associates@yahoo.com (Great Dane) wrote:

    > I was looking at the Asus web site and noticed there are several new
    > boards listed with new Intel chipsets 925X, 915P and 915G. I was
    > trying to learn more about these boards in this newsgroup and didn't
    > see a single post. Perhaps they are very new and were just posted
    > today on the Asus page. I have been holding off upgrading for an
    > Intel Pentium Asus PCI express board, now there are several to choose
    > from. Any comments on the various boards from anyone?
    >
    > http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm#socket478

    Things to research:

    1) ICH6 Southbridge recalled, due to some thin film not being
    removed during the manufacturing process. Expect boards to
    be delayed. This is not a design error in how the chip functions,
    just how it is glued together.
    2) New socket LGA775, unknown as to how robust it is. If you like
    to swap processors a lot, this may not be a good socket.
    3) New CPU overclock lock method from Intel.
    4) Systems will run hot. Do any after market cooling solutions
    fit LGA775 ?
    5) New DDR2 ram is expensive. Wait a while for some decent speed
    ram to come out, to bring out the best in the boards. Looking
    at the Kingston site, the good news is, the density of the ram
    is doubled. A 512MB DDR2 is single sided and $185. A 1GB DDR2
    is a double sided module and is $362. Should make it easier
    to have 3.5GB on a board. For dual channel, buy a pair of
    modules.

    Check anandtech or tomshardware for reviews on these boards.

    I see only one listing in Pricewatch for a P5AD2 and it is listed
    for roughly $250. It is listed as "back ordered" status.
    Another site is listing for $299. It is still "early days"
    for these boards.

    HTH,
    Paul

Asus PCI Express Motherboards