Second Hard Drive

I have replaced a second HD from a 40gig to a 120gig. The
Bios detects and loads it. Win XP home says installing
new drive. The problem is that MY Computor does not shoe
the drive.

Help please.

You might go to Start, Run and type compmgmt.msc /s
The go to Disk Management and see if the drive shows to be
ACTIVE. Be careful in Disk Management and if you are
uncertain how to proceed - STOP - and do some research.
Or re-post.
Good Luck !

If it shows up in Disk Management then rt click and assign it a drive
letter.
> You might go to Start, Run and type compmgmt.msc /s
> The go to Disk Management and see if the drive shows to be
> ACTIVE. Be careful in Disk Management and if you are
> uncertain how to proceed - STOP - and do some research.
> Or re-post.
> Good Luck !

Duh

Have you partitioned and formatted it?

"Rob Floyd" <robert.floyd@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have replaced a second HD from a 40gig to a 120gig. The
> Bios detects and loads it. Win XP home says installing
> new drive. The problem is that MY Computor does not shoe
> the drive.
>
> Help please.

peter

HI,

Right click My computer, click Manage, click Disk Management.
In the lower right pane, you can see Disk 0 and Disk 1.
Disk 1 is the new slave drive. Right click on it and select initialize drive, click OK.
Right click on the drive volume and select format and partition the drive. You can format it to one single NTFS drive or format it to several partitions with different volume sizes. (select default cluster size, i.e. 4 KB)
If you format it to FAT32, the largest size of the partition is limited to 32GB.
You can also re-assign the drive letters afterwards. (right click on the partition and change the drive letter)

Peter