Connection of Drives and Motherboard change

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I am currently upgrading my system and am trying to figure what MOBO to get
and how to hook up the hard drives.
I don't particularly want to get involved with RAID
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I am installing a new:
Power Supply - Seasonic 400 Watt Super Tornado
Memory - 2 Crucial 512MB PC2700 DIMMS
CPU - AMD Athlon XP Barton 3200+ 400 FSB
Heatsink & Fan - Scythe Kamakaze SCKM-1000

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro OS
& currently have 2 - 40GB ATA Hard Drives and 1 - CD/RW

I must upgrade my MOBO and was considering the A7N8X Deluxe because of it's
SATA support.
That would give me the option of hooking up say a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
SATA drive in the future.

My questions are . .

Can I switch out the MOBO and other components without reformatting c:
drive,
re-installing Windows and all other programs?

Can the ATA drives operate off the SATA interface and say the burner off the
IDE?

If I also had a an SATA hard drive, could that be put on one SATA connector
and the IDE hard drives on the other?

Also any advice on Motherboard models and brands would be welcome . .
but I'm partial to ASUS.

Thanks
Stephen
9 answers Last reply
More about connection drives motherboard change
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    slovell wrote:
    > I am currently upgrading my system and am trying to figure what MOBO to
    > get and how to hook up the hard drives.
    > I don't particularly want to get involved with RAID
    > Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    >
    > I am installing a new:
    > Power Supply - Seasonic 400 Watt Super Tornado
    > Memory - 2 Crucial 512MB PC2700 DIMMS
    > CPU - AMD Athlon XP Barton 3200+ 400 FSB
    > Heatsink & Fan - Scythe Kamakaze SCKM-1000

    Get PC3200.

    The nForce chipset likes running RAM and FSB in synch.

    > I'm running Windows 2000 Pro OS
    > & currently have 2 - 40GB ATA Hard Drives and 1 - CD/RW
    >
    > I must upgrade my MOBO and was considering the A7N8X Deluxe because of
    > it's SATA support.
    > That would give me the option of hooking up say a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
    > SATA drive in the future.
    >
    > My questions are . .
    >
    > Can I switch out the MOBO and other components without reformatting c:
    > drive,
    > re-installing Windows and all other programs?

    That would largely depend on the chipset you were coming from, but I'll
    assume you're not coming from an nForce1.

    Some people have managet to get away with it, with a repair install, but I
    would expect to have to deal with a full reinstall, just in case.

    > Can the ATA drives operate off the SATA interface and say the burner off
    > the IDE?

    You can get convertors for ATA->SATA, so yes.

    > If I also had a an SATA hard drive, could that be put on one SATA
    > connector and the IDE hard drives on the other?

    Yes, which would negate the need for adaptors.

    > Also any advice on Motherboard models and brands would be welcome . .
    > but I'm partial to ASUS.

    My A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 is an excellent motherboard. Abit NF7-S is also
    considered good.

    Ben
    --
    A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
    Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
    I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    To answer your first question. NO.
    If you change the motherboard in an XP based computer you must reformat the
    harddrive and do a clean install of the OS if you want to avoid ongoing
    nasty Registry errors.

    --
    DaveW


    "slovell" <slovell28@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    news:Ub2Fc.28130$_V4.11196@read1.cgocable.net...
    > I am currently upgrading my system and am trying to figure what MOBO to
    get
    > and how to hook up the hard drives.
    > I don't particularly want to get involved with RAID
    > Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    >
    > I am installing a new:
    > Power Supply - Seasonic 400 Watt Super Tornado
    > Memory - 2 Crucial 512MB PC2700 DIMMS
    > CPU - AMD Athlon XP Barton 3200+ 400 FSB
    > Heatsink & Fan - Scythe Kamakaze SCKM-1000
    >
    > I'm running Windows 2000 Pro OS
    > & currently have 2 - 40GB ATA Hard Drives and 1 - CD/RW
    >
    > I must upgrade my MOBO and was considering the A7N8X Deluxe because of
    it's
    > SATA support.
    > That would give me the option of hooking up say a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
    > SATA drive in the future.
    >
    > My questions are . .
    >
    > Can I switch out the MOBO and other components without reformatting c:
    > drive,
    > re-installing Windows and all other programs?
    >
    > Can the ATA drives operate off the SATA interface and say the burner off
    the
    > IDE?
    >
    > If I also had a an SATA hard drive, could that be put on one SATA
    connector
    > and the IDE hard drives on the other?
    >
    > Also any advice on Motherboard models and brands would be welcome . .
    > but I'm partial to ASUS.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Stephen
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Dave, your getting to be a bit of a worry.

    - Tim


    "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    news:a%lFc.14602$%_6.11033@attbi_s01...
    > To answer your first question. NO.
    > If you change the motherboard in an XP based computer you must reformat
    > the
    > harddrive and do a clean install of the OS if you want to avoid ongoing
    > nasty Registry errors.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >
    >
    >
    > "slovell" <slovell28@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > news:Ub2Fc.28130$_V4.11196@read1.cgocable.net...
    >> I am currently upgrading my system and am trying to figure what MOBO to
    > get
    >> and how to hook up the hard drives.
    >> I don't particularly want to get involved with RAID
    >> Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    >>
    >> I am installing a new:
    >> Power Supply - Seasonic 400 Watt Super Tornado
    >> Memory - 2 Crucial 512MB PC2700 DIMMS
    >> CPU - AMD Athlon XP Barton 3200+ 400 FSB
    >> Heatsink & Fan - Scythe Kamakaze SCKM-1000
    >>
    >> I'm running Windows 2000 Pro OS
    >> & currently have 2 - 40GB ATA Hard Drives and 1 - CD/RW
    >>
    >> I must upgrade my MOBO and was considering the A7N8X Deluxe because of
    > it's
    >> SATA support.
    >> That would give me the option of hooking up say a Seagate Barracuda
    >> 7200.7
    >> SATA drive in the future.
    >>
    >> My questions are . .
    >>
    >> Can I switch out the MOBO and other components without reformatting c:
    >> drive,
    >> re-installing Windows and all other programs?
    >>
    >> Can the ATA drives operate off the SATA interface and say the burner off
    > the
    >> IDE?
    >>
    >> If I also had a an SATA hard drive, could that be put on one SATA
    > connector
    >> and the IDE hard drives on the other?
    >>
    >> Also any advice on Motherboard models and brands would be welcome . .
    >> but I'm partial to ASUS.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Stephen
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    DaveW wrote:
    > To answer your first question. NO.
    > If you change the motherboard in an XP based computer you must reformat
    > the harddrive and do a clean install of the OS if you want to avoid
    > ongoing nasty Registry errors.

    Formatting the hard drive is a bit strong and unnecassary. Reinstalling the
    OS is a distinct possibility.

    Ben
    --
    A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
    Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
    I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    I've always done a 'repair install' when changing motherboards with
    WinXP. This way I can preserve my data and programs.

    Dick

    Ben Pope wrote:
    > DaveW wrote:
    >
    >>To answer your first question. NO.
    >>If you change the motherboard in an XP based computer you must reformat
    >>the harddrive and do a clean install of the OS if you want to avoid
    >>ongoing nasty Registry errors.
    >
    >
    > Formatting the hard drive is a bit strong and unnecassary. Reinstalling the
    > OS is a distinct possibility.
    >
    > Ben
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Dick wrote:
    > I've always done a 'repair install' when changing motherboards with
    > WinXP. This way I can preserve my data and programs.

    Indeed, but it doesn't always work.

    I've read here that you need to do the second repair install, where you
    install as normal but let it pick up the existing installation, and then
    repair. Any comments?

    Ben
    --
    A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
    Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
    I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Nope. Only 1 repair install has been needed in my experience. I've taken
    my XP system from a VIA to a SIS to a VIA to an Intel chipset
    motherboard and have only done repair installs. Of course you do have to
    redo the Windows Updates, but you have to do this with a fresh install
    too. And reinstall all your applications. So, for me, repair install is
    the way to go.

    Dick

    Ben Pope wrote:
    > Dick wrote:
    >
    >>I've always done a 'repair install' when changing motherboards with
    >>WinXP. This way I can preserve my data and programs.
    >
    >
    > Indeed, but it doesn't always work.
    >
    > I've read here that you need to do the second repair install, where you
    > install as normal but let it pick up the existing installation, and then
    > repair. Any comments?
    >
    > Ben
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Dick wrote:
    > Nope. Only 1 repair install has been needed in my experience. I've taken
    > my XP system from a VIA to a SIS to a VIA to an Intel chipset
    > motherboard and have only done repair installs. Of course you do have to
    > redo the Windows Updates, but you have to do this with a fresh install
    > too. And reinstall all your applications. So, for me, repair install is
    > the way to go.

    Ahh, you misunderstood. When you get the windows install, it asks to repair
    or install windows, you click install, then it searches and finds your
    existing installation and you repair it.

    So it's the second option, not doing it twice.

    Ben
    --
    A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
    Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
    I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Yes. I click 'install', then select 'repair'.

    Dick

    Ben Pope wrote:
    > Dick wrote:
    >
    >>Nope. Only 1 repair install has been needed in my experience. I've taken
    >>my XP system from a VIA to a SIS to a VIA to an Intel chipset
    >>motherboard and have only done repair installs. Of course you do have to
    >>redo the Windows Updates, but you have to do this with a fresh install
    >>too. And reinstall all your applications. So, for me, repair install is
    >>the way to go.
    >
    >
    > Ahh, you misunderstood. When you get the windows install, it asks to repair
    > or install windows, you click install, then it searches and finds your
    > existing installation and you repair it.
    >
    > So it's the second option, not doing it twice.
    >
    > Ben
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Hard Drives Motherboards