Wireless keyboard causes boot problems

zaphod

Up until today - no probs. Went to start PC this morning
and boot sequence froze before POST. Blank screen, no
beeps. After messing for a while I found that if I left
the Keyboard connector disconnected it booted up fine. I
also found that if I left the keyboard connected and
pushed the reset button after it froze that the PC booted
up OK - if I then tried a restart the PC, shutdown OK but
would freeze during the boot process with the same
original symptoms.

Winxp box
Microsoft wireless desktop pro.

Have you tried a different keyboard ? Is this a PS/2 (not
USB) keyboard ?

zaphod

The keyboard connector from the wireless receiver unit is
PS2 - I have tried a standard PS" wired Keyboard and the
PC boots with no problems.

peter

Hi,

I think you are using the PS/2 to USB adapter to connect the keyboard receiver.
Try connect the keyboard receiver using USB; if the symptom went away, the culprit is the adapter. It may not firmly connected to the PS/2 port or it is faulty.

Peter

----- Zaphod wrote: -----

The keyboard connector from the wireless receiver unit is
PS2 - I have tried a standard PS" wired Keyboard and the
PC boots with no problems.

zaphod

The connector for the keyboard is PS2 only. It is only
the mouse connector that is USB with a PS2 adapter.