Basic WiFi Questions

I know almost nothing about WiFi. I have a new laptop with it built in. I use
dial up for the internet. I have 2 basic questions.

If I go to a hot spot such as an airport and turn on WiFi on my computer
what will happen step-by-step?

At home I have tried to turn it on and it shows that I have connected to a
network, probably at my neighbor's. Obviously I would not try to use it but I
just wonder what is actually happening. If I was not on my dial up connection
and started my browser would it actually allow me to use my neighbors ISP?
What type of security is there?

Is there a web site that would explain all this in a very low level dummy's
view?
--
Dennis M. Marks

Oh, and by the way... I think you probaly can have two wireless networks
existing in the same space, but I don't think you want to deal with those
issues. I wouldn't recommend it.

Good Luck,

"denmarks" <denmarks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I know almost nothing about WiFi. I have a new laptop with it built in. I
use
> dial up for the internet. I have 2 basic questions.
>
> If I go to a hot spot such as an airport and turn on WiFi on my computer
> what will happen step-by-step?
>
> At home I have tried to turn it on and it shows that I have connected to a
> network, probably at my neighbor's. Obviously I would not try to use it
but I
> just wonder what is actually happening. If I was not on my dial up
connection
> and started my browser would it actually allow me to use my neighbors ISP?
> What type of security is there?
>
> Is there a web site that would explain all this in a very low level
dummy's
> view?
> --
> Dennis M. Marks

peter

http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
peter
"denmarks" <denmarks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know almost nothing about WiFi. I have a new laptop with it built in. I use
> dial up for the internet. I have 2 basic questions.
>
> If I go to a hot spot such as an airport and turn on WiFi on my computer
> what will happen step-by-step?
>
> At home I have tried to turn it on and it shows that I have connected to a
> network, probably at my neighbor's. Obviously I would not try to use it but I
> just wonder what is actually happening. If I was not on my dial up connection
> and started my browser would it actually allow me to use my neighbors ISP?
> What type of security is there?
>
> Is there a web site that would explain all this in a very low level dummy's
> view?
> --
> Dennis M. Marks

TRENDING THREADS