mark

Just put together the following system:

A7v8x-x, Athlon XP Barton 2500+, 2 micron 256 MB PC 2700 Ram..System starts
when I turn it on, CPU fan and case fans start and turn for about a second,
then nothing, dead. I am using an Antec case with a 350 watt PS.

Any ideas? I have tried installing the memory modules individually, switched
the power switch jumper, not sure what to do next, please help!!!

Make sure the cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan plug on the motherboard.

"Mark" <analogkid12@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Just put together the following system:
>
> A7v8x-x, Athlon XP Barton 2500+, 2 micron 256 MB PC 2700 Ram..System
starts
> when I turn it on, CPU fan and case fans start and turn for about a
second,
> then nothing, dead. I am using an Antec case with a 350 watt PS.
>
> Any ideas? I have tried installing the memory modules individually,
switched
> the power switch jumper, not sure what to do next, please help!!!

mark

Already checked, it is....
"RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
> Make sure the cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan plug on the motherboard.
>

> "Mark" <analogkid12@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Just put together the following system:
>>
>> A7v8x-x, Athlon XP Barton 2500+, 2 micron 256 MB PC 2700 Ram..System
> starts
>> when I turn it on, CPU fan and case fans start and turn for about a
> second,
>> then nothing, dead. I am using an Antec case with a 350 watt PS.
>>
>> Any ideas? I have tried installing the memory modules individually,
> switched
>> the power switch jumper, not sure what to do next, please help!!!

Paul

Splendid

In article <wqidnUoeWLZ-S3nd4p2dnA@comcast.com>, "Mark"
<analogkid12@comcast.net> wrote:

> Already checked, it is....
> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
> > Make sure the cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan plug on the motherboard.
> >

> > "Mark" <analogkid12@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Just put together the following system:
> >>
> >> A7v8x-x, Athlon XP Barton 2500+, 2 micron 256 MB PC 2700 Ram..System
> > starts
> >> when I turn it on, CPU fan and case fans start and turn for about a
> > second,
> >> then nothing, dead. I am using an Antec case with a 350 watt PS.
> >>
> >> Any ideas? I have tried installing the memory modules individually,
> > switched
> >> the power switch jumper, not sure what to do next, please help!!!

Rotate the heatsink 180 degrees. Chances are, the processor is
overheating, and the reason is the contact patch on the bottom
of the heatsink is not sitting squarely over top of the CPU die.

Also, a question. Are you pressing the power button on the front
of the computer, when it powers on for 1 second and then powers
off ? Or does the power up of the computer happen immediately
when you flip the switch on the back of the computer to the "on"
position ?

HTH,
Paul

"Mark" <analogkid12@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Just put together the following system:
>
> A7v8x-x, Athlon XP Barton 2500+, 2 micron 256 MB PC 2700 Ram..System
starts
> when I turn it on, CPU fan and case fans start and turn for about a
second,
> then nothing, dead. I am using an Antec case with a 350 watt PS.
>
> Any ideas? I have tried installing the memory modules individually,
switched
> the power switch jumper, not sure what to do next, please help!!!

I have almost the same setup, with a couple of extra fans, and it started
behaving exactly the same way on restore from hibernation. Turns out the
power supply was a bit flakey.

mark

Power on for 1 second happens when I press the power button on the front of
the case. Pressing the button on front second time, nothing spins. When I
flip the switch on the back, nothing spins. I need to unplug the power cable
to the case, press front case button to get the one rotation spin again.

When you say rotate heatsink, I assume you mean remove it and reinstall?
> In article <wqidnUoeWLZ-S3nd4p2dnA@comcast.com>, "Mark"
> <analogkid12@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Already checked, it is....
>> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>> > Make sure the cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan plug on the
>> > motherboard.
>> >

>> > "Mark" <analogkid12@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> > starts
>> > second,

>> > switched
>
> Rotate the heatsink 180 degrees. Chances are, the processor is
> overheating, and the reason is the contact patch on the bottom
> of the heatsink is not sitting squarely over top of the CPU die.
>
> Also, a question. Are you pressing the power button on the front
> of the computer, when it powers on for 1 second and then powers
> off ? Or does the power up of the computer happen immediately
> when you flip the switch on the back of the computer to the "on"
> position ?
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <NmaFc.12859$XM6.3338@attbi_s53>, "Mark"
<analogkid12@comcast.net> wrote:

> Power on for 1 second happens when I press the power button on the front of
> the case. Pressing the button on front second time, nothing spins. When I
> flip the switch on the back, nothing spins. I need to unplug the power cable
> to the case, press front case button to get the one rotation spin again.
>
> When you say rotate heatsink, I assume you mean remove it and reinstall?

Yes. Remove it and check that the contact patch lines up with the
silicon die. Make sure the thermal interface material on there is
in good shape.

Paul

> > In article <wqidnUoeWLZ-S3nd4p2dnA@comcast.com>, "Mark"
> > <analogkid12@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Already checked, it is....
> >> "RonK" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message

> > Rotate the heatsink 180 degrees. Chances are, the processor is
> > overheating, and the reason is the contact patch on the bottom
> > of the heatsink is not sitting squarely over top of the CPU die.
> >
> > Also, a question. Are you pressing the power button on the front
> > of the computer, when it powers on for 1 second and then powers
> > off ? Or does the power up of the computer happen immediately
> > when you flip the switch on the back of the computer to the "on"
> > position ?
> >
> > HTH,
> > Paul

mark

Apparently it was my PS, I tried a different PS, fired up!!! Strange as the
PS worked on my ECS board a couple days ago....Thanks for all the replys....

Mark
> In article <NmaFc.12859$XM6.3338@attbi_s53>, "Mark"
> <analogkid12@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Power on for 1 second happens when I press the power button on the front
>> of
>> the case. Pressing the button on front second time, nothing spins. When I
>> flip the switch on the back, nothing spins. I need to unplug the power
>> cable
>> to the case, press front case button to get the one rotation spin again.
>>
>> When you say rotate heatsink, I assume you mean remove it and reinstall?
>
> Yes. Remove it and check that the contact patch lines up with the
> silicon die. Make sure the thermal interface material on there is
> in good shape.
>
> Paul
>
>> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message

>> > Rotate the heatsink 180 degrees. Chances are, the processor is
>> > overheating, and the reason is the contact patch on the bottom
>> > of the heatsink is not sitting squarely over top of the CPU die.
>> >
>> > Also, a question. Are you pressing the power button on the front
>> > of the computer, when it powers on for 1 second and then powers
>> > off ? Or does the power up of the computer happen immediately
>> > when you flip the switch on the back of the computer to the "on"
>> > position ?
>> >
>> > HTH,
>> > Paul

First verify if your power supply switch is on 110 or 220 volts

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:30:41 -0400, "Jeannot" <ordijc@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Mark" <analogkid12@comcast.net> a écrit dans le message de
>> Just put together the following system:
>>
>> A7v8x-x, Athlon XP Barton 2500+, 2 micron 256 MB PC 2700 Ram..System
>starts
>> when I turn it on, CPU fan and case fans start and turn for about a
>second,
>> then nothing, dead. I am using an Antec case with a 350 watt PS.
>>
>> Any ideas? I have tried installing the memory modules individually,
>switched
>> the power switch jumper, not sure what to do next, please help!!!

Check your battery!

Wad