XP P4 machine is rebooting itself! :(

TC

This machine used to have 2000 on it and it would
periodically reboot itself. Since putting XP on it seems to
be much worse...so far today, it has rebooted 5 times.

It seems sure to be memory related as many DMP files have
been placed in c:\windows\minidump

I've read about using the tools to read their info, but I'm
really not sure what it all means.

Is this sort of thing usually caused by a bad RAM chip?

Is there any less-than-tech-savy way to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Generally this is caused by 2 things. Bad RAM and an over
heated CPU.

If you have 2 RAM chips, you might want to pull one and see
if the problem continues. Also, I would make sure your Fans
are working correctly in the PC. If it happens like clock
work its more likely hitting a certain temperature then
rebooting. If it happens randomly, its more likely to be a
RAM issue.

Honetsly, your problem could be as simple as a chip or a
periphial like your video card creeping out of place. It
might be wise just to go through your PC with a can of air,
clean all the parts and reseat them into position.

are u sure not having a virus on your machine?

> Generally this is caused by 2 things. Bad RAM and an over
> heated CPU.
>
> If you have 2 RAM chips, you might want to pull one and see
> if the problem continues. Also, I would make sure your Fans
> are working correctly in the PC. If it happens like clock
> work its more likely hitting a certain temperature then
> rebooting. If it happens randomly, its more likely to be a
> RAM issue.
>
> Honetsly, your problem could be as simple as a chip or a
> periphial like your video card creeping out of place. It
> might be wise just to go through your PC with a can of air,
> clean all the parts and reseat them into position.

i had the same problem. i had 2 RAM chips. one of them had physical damage
on it which when i removed the pc runs fine!

"TC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This machine used to have 2000 on it and it would
> periodically reboot itself. Since putting XP on it seems to
> be much worse...so far today, it has rebooted 5 times.
>
> It seems sure to be memory related as many DMP files have
> been placed in c:\windows\minidump
>
> I've read about using the tools to read their info, but I'm
> really not sure what it all means.
>
> Is this sort of thing usually caused by a bad RAM chip?
>
> Is there any less-than-tech-savy way to troubleshoot this?
>
> Thanks!

Mike

Splendid

Two other issues to consider. I've recently had an issue
with 5 Gigabyte motherboards - the issue there was the
motherboard itself; which Gigabyte has had no problem
replacing.

The other issue is a power supply. A bad or insufficient
power supply can cause the same thing. Have you installed
any devices recently that might cause more of a drain on
the power supply?

Mike

The only things installed are my ATI Radeon 9700 pro, my
audigy 2 sound and a firewire card...although i know the
1st two plus my drives require direct power, my power
supply is a 480 and I do not think there is a lack of power.