XP P4 machine is rebooting itself! :(

This machine used to have 2000 on it and it would
periodically reboot itself. Since putting XP on it seems to
be much worse...so far today, it has rebooted 5 times.

It seems sure to be memory related as many DMP files have
been placed in c:\windows\minidump

I've read about using the tools to read their info, but I'm
really not sure what it all means.

Is this sort of thing usually caused by a bad RAM chip?

Is there any less-than-tech-savy way to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about machine rebooting itself

    Generally this is caused by 2 things. Bad RAM and an over
    heated CPU.

    If you have 2 RAM chips, you might want to pull one and see
    if the problem continues. Also, I would make sure your Fans
    are working correctly in the PC. If it happens like clock
    work its more likely hitting a certain temperature then
    rebooting. If it happens randomly, its more likely to be a
    RAM issue.

    Honetsly, your problem could be as simple as a chip or a
    periphial like your video card creeping out of place. It
    might be wise just to go through your PC with a can of air,
    clean all the parts and reseat them into position.

    are u sure not having a virus on your machine?

    > Generally this is caused by 2 things. Bad RAM and an over
    > heated CPU.
    >
    > If you have 2 RAM chips, you might want to pull one and see
    > if the problem continues. Also, I would make sure your Fans
    > are working correctly in the PC. If it happens like clock
    > work its more likely hitting a certain temperature then
    > rebooting. If it happens randomly, its more likely to be a
    > RAM issue.
    >
    > Honetsly, your problem could be as simple as a chip or a
    > periphial like your video card creeping out of place. It
    > might be wise just to go through your PC with a can of air,
    > clean all the parts and reseat them into position.

    i had the same problem. i had 2 RAM chips. one of them had physical damage
    on it which when i removed the pc runs fine!

    "TC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This machine used to have 2000 on it and it would
    > periodically reboot itself. Since putting XP on it seems to
    > be much worse...so far today, it has rebooted 5 times.
    >
    > It seems sure to be memory related as many DMP files have
    > been placed in c:\windows\minidump
    >
    > I've read about using the tools to read their info, but I'm
    > really not sure what it all means.
    >
    > Is this sort of thing usually caused by a bad RAM chip?
    >
    > Is there any less-than-tech-savy way to troubleshoot this?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Two other issues to consider. I've recently had an issue
    with 5 Gigabyte motherboards - the issue there was the
    motherboard itself; which Gigabyte has had no problem
    replacing.

    The other issue is a power supply. A bad or insufficient
    power supply can cause the same thing. Have you installed
    any devices recently that might cause more of a drain on
    the power supply?

    Mike

    The only things installed are my ATI Radeon 9700 pro, my
    audigy 2 sound and a firewire card...although i know the
    1st two plus my drives require direct power, my power
    supply is a 480 and I do not think there is a lack of power.

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP