Looking for a good registry cleaner

I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here seem very
knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and clean the
XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations for a
good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

John

peter

VCom System Suite 5 has saved my bacon a few times and runs flawlessly on my
A7N8 Del with XP.
peter
"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here seem very
> knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and clean the
> XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations for a
> good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John

"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here seem very
> knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and clean the
> XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations for a
> good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John

Have a look at jv16 PowerTools and see if it does what you need.
http://www.oldversion.com/

John Blaustein wrote:
> I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here seem very
> knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and clean the
> XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations for a
> good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John

I Personally use RegScrub XP & Registry Mechanic 3.0 ......

Thanks guys... I'll look at all the choices.

John

"Tyrs4u" <tyrs4u@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> John Blaustein wrote:
> > I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here seem
very
> > knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
> >
> > Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and clean
the
> > XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations for a
> > good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > John
> >

> I Personally use RegScrub XP & Registry Mechanic 3.0 ......

"Tyrs4u" <tyrs4u@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> John Blaustein wrote:
> > I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here seem
very
> > knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
> >
> > Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and clean
the
> > XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations for a
> > good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > John
> >

> I Personally use RegScrub XP & Registry Mechanic 3.0 ......

I use the Registry cleaner in System Mechanic - not free, though.

http://www.iolo.com/
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

"peter" <peter@telus.net> wrote in message
| VCom System Suite 5 has saved my bacon a few times and runs
flawlessly on my
| A7N8 Del with XP.
| peter
| "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
| > I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here
seem very
| > knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
| >
| > Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and
clean the
| > XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations
for a
| > good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.
| >
| > Thanks!
| >
| > John

And, you can pickup ver 4 of System Suite on Ebay for a song, and it
includes powerdesk, the best file manager/viewer around. I paid $5
for my copy of ver4 of System Suite.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

Great idea, Kyle!

Do you think version 4 is as good as version 5 of System Suite?

I've been using PowerDeskPro 5.0 (and earlier versions) for years and I
agree it's the best. I couldn't live without it. In fact, when I reinstall
Windows, it's the first thing I load.

John

"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> And, you can pickup ver 4 of System Suite on Ebay for a song, and it
> includes powerdesk, the best file manager/viewer around. I paid $5
> for my copy of ver4 of System Suite.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kyle

jk

i'd recommend regvac and registry healer both pretty safe

"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here seem very
> knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and clean the
> XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations for a
> good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John

From what I've read, there is little if any difference between ver 4
and 5, except maybe newer virus scan signature files, but I don't use
the virus scanner. I'm also a PD user from way back, when I first
read a review in winmag of PD. I recall reading a review of System
Suite ver 5 and the comment was: not much new in this version. Ver 4
works nicely for me on win2k, but frankly, I don't use it much, I
bought the package to get PD Pro and the file viewer capabilities,
hehe.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
| Great idea, Kyle!
|
| Do you think version 4 is as good as version 5 of System Suite?
|
| I've been using PowerDeskPro 5.0 (and earlier versions) for years
and I
| agree it's the best. I couldn't live without it. In fact, when I
reinstall
| Windows, it's the first thing I load.
|
| John
|

| "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
| >
| > And, you can pickup ver 4 of System Suite on Ebay for a song, and
it
| > includes powerdesk, the best file manager/viewer around. I paid
$5
| > for my copy of ver4 of System Suite.
| >
| > --
| > Best regards,
| > Kyle

Kyle,

I recently contacted v-com's tech support to ask if there was a way to move
PD settings from one PC to another. There isn't, but the guy said a new
version of PD is on the way shortly. I can't imagine what more it could do,
but I'll certainly look closely at it.

I'll look at v4 of System Suite. I use AVG for AV, so I wouldn't need that
either.

Doug Ramage wrote:
> "Tyrs4u" <tyrs4u@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> John Blaustein wrote:
>>> I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here
>>> seem very knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and
>>> clean the XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other
>>> recommendations for a good system maintenance utility would be
>>> appreciated too.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> I Personally use RegScrub XP & Registry Mechanic 3.0 ......
>
> I use the Registry cleaner in System Mechanic - not free, though.
>
> http://www.iolo.com/

I use the it as well, I have never had a problem with it to date.

--
Don Burnette

Mary

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Doug Ramage wrote:
> > "Tyrs4u" <tyrs4u@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> I Personally use RegScrub XP & Registry Mechanic 3.0 ......
> >
> > I use the Registry cleaner in System Mechanic - not free, though.
> >
> > http://www.iolo.com/
>
> I use the it as well, I have never had a problem with it to date.

I've used RegClean for years and it works fine.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,4666,00.asp

Mary