Looking for a good registry cleaner

I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here seem very
knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and clean the
XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations for a
good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

John
13 answers Last reply
More about looking good registry cleaner

    VCom System Suite 5 has saved my bacon a few times and runs flawlessly on my
    A7N8 Del with XP.
    peter
    "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here seem very
    > knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
    >
    > Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and clean the
    > XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations for a
    > good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John

    "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here seem very
    > knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
    >
    > Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and clean the
    > XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations for a
    > good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John

    Have a look at jv16 PowerTools and see if it does what you need.
    http://www.oldversion.com/

    John Blaustein wrote:
    > I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here seem very
    > knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
    >
    > Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and clean the
    > XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations for a
    > good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John

    I Personally use RegScrub XP & Registry Mechanic 3.0 ......

    Thanks guys... I'll look at all the choices.

    John

    "Tyrs4u" <tyrs4u@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > John Blaustein wrote:
    > > I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here seem
    very
    > > knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
    > >
    > > Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and clean
    the
    > > XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations for a
    > > good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > John
    > >

    > I Personally use RegScrub XP & Registry Mechanic 3.0 ......

    "Tyrs4u" <tyrs4u@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > John Blaustein wrote:
    > > I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here seem
    very
    > > knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
    > >
    > > Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and clean
    the
    > > XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations for a
    > > good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > John
    > >

    > I Personally use RegScrub XP & Registry Mechanic 3.0 ......

    I use the Registry cleaner in System Mechanic - not free, though.

    http://www.iolo.com/
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [watch spam trap]

    "peter" <peter@telus.net> wrote in message
    | VCom System Suite 5 has saved my bacon a few times and runs
    flawlessly on my
    | A7N8 Del with XP.
    | peter
    | "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    | > I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here
    seem very
    | > knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
    | >
    | > Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and
    clean the
    | > XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations
    for a
    | > good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.
    | >
    | > Thanks!
    | >
    | > John

    And, you can pickup ver 4 of System Suite on Ebay for a song, and it
    includes powerdesk, the best file manager/viewer around. I paid $5
    for my copy of ver4 of System Suite.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Great idea, Kyle!

    Do you think version 4 is as good as version 5 of System Suite?

    I've been using PowerDeskPro 5.0 (and earlier versions) for years and I
    agree it's the best. I couldn't live without it. In fact, when I reinstall
    Windows, it's the first thing I load.

    John

    "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

    > And, you can pickup ver 4 of System Suite on Ebay for a song, and it
    > includes powerdesk, the best file manager/viewer around. I paid $5
    > for my copy of ver4 of System Suite.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kyle

    i'd recommend regvac and registry healer both pretty safe

    "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here seem very
    > knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
    >
    > Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and clean the
    > XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other recommendations for a
    > good system maintenance utility would be appreciated too.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John

    From what I've read, there is little if any difference between ver 4
    and 5, except maybe newer virus scan signature files, but I don't use
    the virus scanner. I'm also a PD user from way back, when I first
    read a review in winmag of PD. I recall reading a review of System
    Suite ver 5 and the comment was: not much new in this version. Ver 4
    works nicely for me on win2k, but frankly, I don't use it much, I
    bought the package to get PD Pro and the file viewer capabilities,
    hehe.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    | Great idea, Kyle!
    |
    | Do you think version 4 is as good as version 5 of System Suite?
    |
    | I've been using PowerDeskPro 5.0 (and earlier versions) for years
    and I
    | agree it's the best. I couldn't live without it. In fact, when I
    reinstall
    | Windows, it's the first thing I load.
    |
    | John
    |

    | "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    | >
    | > And, you can pickup ver 4 of System Suite on Ebay for a song, and
    it
    | > includes powerdesk, the best file manager/viewer around. I paid
    $5
    | > for my copy of ver4 of System Suite.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Best regards,
    | > Kyle

    Kyle,

    I recently contacted v-com's tech support to ask if there was a way to move
    PD settings from one PC to another. There isn't, but the guy said a new
    version of PD is on the way shortly. I can't imagine what more it could do,
    but I'll certainly look closely at it.

    I'll look at v4 of System Suite. I use AVG for AV, so I wouldn't need that
    either.

    Doug Ramage wrote:
    > "Tyrs4u" <tyrs4u@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> John Blaustein wrote:
    >>> I know this is somewhat off topic, but many of the "locals" here
    >>> seem very knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask:
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have a recommendation for a good utility to scan and
    >>> clean the XP registry, preferably a free utility? Any other
    >>> recommendations for a good system maintenance utility would be
    >>> appreciated too.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>

    >> I Personally use RegScrub XP & Registry Mechanic 3.0 ......
    >
    > I use the Registry cleaner in System Mechanic - not free, though.
    >
    > http://www.iolo.com/

    I use the it as well, I have never had a problem with it to date.

    --
    Don Burnette

    "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Doug Ramage wrote:
    > > "Tyrs4u" <tyrs4u@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > >> I Personally use RegScrub XP & Registry Mechanic 3.0 ......
    > >
    > > I use the Registry cleaner in System Mechanic - not free, though.
    > >
    > > http://www.iolo.com/
    >
    > I use the it as well, I have never had a problem with it to date.

    I've used RegClean for years and it works fine.

    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,4666,00.asp

    Mary

Asus Registry Cleaner Motherboards