constant beeping w/ new cd drive

laptop: thinkpad 600x
os: xp pro
cd-drive - toshiba

installed new (refurb) cd drive - drive was installed successfully - drivers installed - works fine; CD's works - everything is
fine EXCEPT non-stop beeping. remove the drive - beeping stops. Put drive back in - beeping starts. Used Windows hardware diagnostics - report indicates drive is installed and working as normal. Did a windows update for missing/stale drivers - nothing new.

Suggestions - (aside from the mute button) -thanks.
-ddb

peter

Hi,

The BIOS beeping sound stands for hardware/system problems.
Different beeping sounds in different BIOS (Awards, Phoenix, etc) means different hardware/system problems.
You may call IBM Support for the meaning of the beeping sound.
Also make sure the new drive is properly connected and the power consumption rate of the new drive is same as the old drive.

CARE: if the power consumption rate of the new drive is much higher than the old drive (e.g over 15%), it may cause permanent damages to the mobo/power supply unit.
If the power consumption is nearly the same, try go to IBM website and update the mobo BIOS for the laptop of your model.

NOTE: The change of CD-drive has voided the IBM warranty.

Peter

----- basic wrote: -----

laptop: thinkpad 600x
os: xp pro
cd-drive - toshiba

installed new (refurb) cd drive - drive was installed successfully - drivers installed - works fine; CD's works - everything is
fine EXCEPT non-stop beeping. remove the drive - beeping stops. Put drive back in - beeping starts. Used Windows hardware diagnostics - report indicates drive is installed and working as normal. Did a windows update for missing/stale drivers - nothing new.

Suggestions - (aside from the mute button) -thanks.
-ddb

bluesnomore4u

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
My IBM thinkpad did the same as mentioned above. I restarted and went into system bios setup, and noticed it had no CD in system reconized. So I set it as one of the boot devices and restarted the laptop and the beeps are now gone.

John A.K.A. bluesnomore4u

TRENDING THREADS