  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2004 11:32:59 PM

Hi @ all,

a friend of mine has an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and has killed his Bios by try
to update it from a defect floppy. So I have downloaded the actually BIOS
File from ASUS (1011). I did a CMOS CLEAR and when booting the board wants a
disk awdflash (also downloaded from ASUS) and the BIOS File. In the Manual
in 4.2 they told me to rename the file to A7N8X-E.ROM but everytime awdflash
says "Source File Not Found!". So, is there anyone out there, who knows the
correct name??

Please excuse my bad english...i'am from germany. ;-)

Greetz Doris

More about : a7n8x deluxe bios problem

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2004 12:54:27 AM

"Doris Heid" <doris.heid@sagasys.de> wrote in message
> Hi @ all,
>
> a friend of mine has an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and has killed his Bios by try
> to update it from a defect floppy. So I have downloaded the actually BIOS
> File from ASUS (1011). I did a CMOS CLEAR and when booting the board wants
> disk awdflash (also downloaded from ASUS) and the BIOS File. In the Manual
> in 4.2 they told me to rename the file to A7N8X-E.ROM but everytime
awdflash
> says "Source File Not Found!". So, is there anyone out there, who knows
the
> correct name??
>
> Please excuse my bad english...i'am from germany. ;-)
>
> Greetz Doris

Hi Doris,

Try renaming the file to 1011.bin. I renamed it to this when I flashed my
bios and it worked ok.

Regards,
Hamid
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2004 2:34:21 AM

Hi Hamid,

"Hamid Saeed" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote

> Try renaming the file to 1011.bin. I renamed it to this when I flashed my
> bios and it worked ok.

doesn't work, same answer: source file not found.

Greetz Doris
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2004 2:34:22 AM

> Hi Hamid,
>
> "Hamid Saeed" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote
> >
> > Try renaming the file to 1011.bin. I renamed it to this when I flashed
my
> > bios and it worked ok.
>
> doesn't work, same answer: source file not found.
>
> Greetz Doris

You have a startup floppy disk with awdflash.exe and the
new BIOS file you have named 1011.bin?

You start your system with that floppy in the drive, and
type "awdflash"? Then you enter "A:\1011.bin"?

You have nothing good to save so you enter No to the
save question.

And now you get the error msg "Source File Not Found!"?

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2004 3:58:26 AM

Hi Ken,

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote

> You have a startup floppy disk with awdflash.exe and the
> new BIOS file you have named 1011.bin?
>
> You start your system with that floppy in the drive, and
> type "awdflash"? Then you enter "A:\1011.bin"?
>
> You have nothing good to save so you enter No to the
> save question.
>
> And now you get the error msg "Source File Not Found!"?

no...no..no.. ;-)

okay, maybe my first discription was not complete...there is no boot..first
thing i see is:

AWARD BootBlock BIOS V1.0
Copyright blabla...

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media ...
INSERT SYSTEM DISk AND PRESS ENTER

on this disk is the latest awdflash.exe and the 1011.bin. i insert it and
press enter. The next is the following line:

Automatic load AWDFLASH.EXE

after loading, the cursor is at the bottom left and in the AWDFLASh Window
at the bottom line you can read "Source File Not Found"

i get no chance, to type in any filename, can leave this screen only with
reset. strg, alt + del wouldn't work.

Greetz Doris
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2004 5:41:22 AM

Hi,

i have fixed one Problem to get an other.:(

First problern was the AWDFLASH from the ASUS site. It's V8.24b and didn't
work in this case. I've tried the one from the CD (8.23z) and now it loads
the BIOS File. But after loading, i get this message:

The program file's BIOS-Lock String
does not match with your system

i've tried with all BIOS versions (1006, 1007, 1008 and 1011), the message
is always the same. Any idea?

Greetz Doris
July 3, 2004 5:51:53 AM

Doris Heid wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have fixed one Problem to get an other.:(
>
> First problern was the AWDFLASH from the ASUS site. It's V8.24b and didn't
> work in this case. I've tried the one from the CD (8.23z) and now it loads
> the BIOS File. But after loading, i get this message:
>
> The program file's BIOS-Lock String
> does not match with your system
>
> i've tried with all BIOS versions (1006, 1007, 1008 and 1011), the message
> is always the same. Any idea?
>
> Greetz Doris

Doris,
Are you able to use ALT + F2 when the system first begins to POST? If
so, then it should take you to the built-in AWDFLASH Utility. After you
have unzipped the BIOS file you downloaded, you may need to change/add
the .bin on the end. After the built-in program starts, it will ask the
name of the file, on the floppy, to program. I think it wants to see
just "1011.bin" typed there. That should start the process. HTH.

Rob
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2004 6:13:43 AM

Doris Heid wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i have fixed one Problem to get an other.:(
>
> First problern was the AWDFLASH from the ASUS site. It's V8.24b and didn't
> work in this case. I've tried the one from the CD (8.23z) and now it loads
> the BIOS File. But after loading, i get this message:
>
> The program file's BIOS-Lock String
> does not match with your system
>
> i've tried with all BIOS versions (1006, 1007, 1008 and 1011), the message
> is always the same. Any idea?
>
> Greetz Doris

doris, make ABSOLUTELY SURE you got the right bios for the right board in
the first place.
You are probably getting bios for A7N8X-deluxe and not A7N8X E-deluxe

you do not want to screw this up

gordon
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 5, 2004 4:53:15 AM

> Hi Ken,
>
> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote
>
> > You have a startup floppy disk with awdflash.exe and the
> > new BIOS file you have named 1011.bin?
> >
> > You start your system with that floppy in the drive, and
> > type "awdflash"? Then you enter "A:\1011.bin"?
> >
> > You have nothing good to save so you enter No to the
> > save question.
> >
> > And now you get the error msg "Source File Not Found!"?
>
> no...no..no.. ;-)
>
> okay, maybe my first discription was not complete...there is no
boot..first
> thing i see is:
>
> AWARD BootBlock BIOS V1.0
> Copyright blabla...
>
> BIOS ROM checksum error
>
> Detecting floppy drive A media ...
> INSERT SYSTEM DISk AND PRESS ENTER
>
> on this disk is the latest awdflash.exe and the 1011.bin. i insert it and
> press enter. The next is the following line:

What is this:?
> Automatic load AWDFLASH.EXE

Are you saying that you see "Automatic load AWDFLASH.EXE"
displayed on your screen?

> after loading, the cursor is at the bottom left and in the AWDFLASh Window
> at the bottom line you can read "Source File Not Found"
>
> i get no chance, to type in any filename, can leave this screen only with
> reset. strg, alt + del wouldn't work.
>
> Greetz Doris

This sounds like you somehow have a floppy startup disk
that has an autoexec.bat with a line like:
"awdflash A:\XXXXX.XXX /x/x/x"

Where the file named is not your 1011.bin or is not exactly
entered right.

What is on that floppy? And if it has an autoexec.bat, what's
in it?

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2004 2:24:57 PM

HI

Doris wrote:
>Hi @ all,
>
>a friend of mine has an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and has killed his Bios by try
>to update it from a defect floppy. So I have downloaded the actually BIOS
>File from ASUS (1011). I did a CMOS CLEAR and when booting the board wants a
>disk awdflash (also downloaded from ASUS) and the BIOS File. In the Manual
>in 4.2 they told me to rename the file to A7N8X-E.ROM but everytime awdflash
>says "Source File Not Found!". So, is there anyone out there, who knows the
>correct name??
>
>Please excuse my bad english...i'am from germany. ;-)
>
>Greetz Doris

I think you had 'killed' your Bios-chip program, and that is not
so funny. If that's the case you have 3 possible solutions:

1. The cheapest one
If your board is still under warranty then try to get a new one
for free. You have to lye a little so maybe you have to ask 'a
good friend' to do it for you! ;)

2. Bay a new Bios-chip. Cost and can take weeks to get.

3. Let a computer freak perform a 'Hot swap'. I think a Coke, two
beers or a bottle of vine can do! ;)  He/she must have your PC and
another PC with exactly the same ASUS board as yours. Ask around
in your local area (computer clubs and so).

Personally I got the feeling that you are a little to active
lady, so please don't play with Bios anymore - they don't like
it!! ;)

And please excuse my bad English ...I'm from Denmark. ;)

Good luck

Henning
!