A7N8X-E Deluxe BIOS Problem

Hi @ all,

a friend of mine has an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and has killed his Bios by try
to update it from a defect floppy. So I have downloaded the actually BIOS
File from ASUS (1011). I did a CMOS CLEAR and when booting the board wants a
disk awdflash (also downloaded from ASUS) and the BIOS File. In the Manual
in 4.2 they told me to rename the file to A7N8X-E.ROM but everytime awdflash
says "Source File Not Found!". So, is there anyone out there, who knows the
correct name??

Please excuse my bad english...i'am from germany. ;-)

Greetz Doris
9 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe bios problem

    "Doris Heid" <doris.heid@sagasys.de> wrote in message
    > Hi @ all,
    >
    > a friend of mine has an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and has killed his Bios by try
    > to update it from a defect floppy. So I have downloaded the actually BIOS
    > File from ASUS (1011). I did a CMOS CLEAR and when booting the board wants
    > disk awdflash (also downloaded from ASUS) and the BIOS File. In the Manual
    > in 4.2 they told me to rename the file to A7N8X-E.ROM but everytime
    awdflash
    > says "Source File Not Found!". So, is there anyone out there, who knows
    the
    > correct name??
    >
    > Please excuse my bad english...i'am from germany. ;-)
    >
    > Greetz Doris

    Hi Doris,

    Try renaming the file to 1011.bin. I renamed it to this when I flashed my
    bios and it worked ok.

    Regards,
    Hamid

    Hi Hamid,

    "Hamid Saeed" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote

    > Try renaming the file to 1011.bin. I renamed it to this when I flashed my
    > bios and it worked ok.

    doesn't work, same answer: source file not found.

    Greetz Doris

    > Hi Hamid,
    >
    > "Hamid Saeed" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote
    > >
    > > Try renaming the file to 1011.bin. I renamed it to this when I flashed
    my
    > > bios and it worked ok.
    >
    > doesn't work, same answer: source file not found.
    >
    > Greetz Doris

    You have a startup floppy disk with awdflash.exe and the
    new BIOS file you have named 1011.bin?

    You start your system with that floppy in the drive, and
    type "awdflash"? Then you enter "A:\1011.bin"?

    You have nothing good to save so you enter No to the
    save question.

    And now you get the error msg "Source File Not Found!"?

    Luck;
    Ken

    Hi Ken,

    "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote

    > You have a startup floppy disk with awdflash.exe and the
    > new BIOS file you have named 1011.bin?
    >
    > You start your system with that floppy in the drive, and
    > type "awdflash"? Then you enter "A:\1011.bin"?
    >
    > You have nothing good to save so you enter No to the
    > save question.
    >
    > And now you get the error msg "Source File Not Found!"?

    no...no..no.. ;-)

    okay, maybe my first discription was not complete...there is no boot..first
    thing i see is:

    AWARD BootBlock BIOS V1.0
    Copyright blabla...

    BIOS ROM checksum error

    Detecting floppy drive A media ...
    INSERT SYSTEM DISk AND PRESS ENTER

    on this disk is the latest awdflash.exe and the 1011.bin. i insert it and
    press enter. The next is the following line:

    Automatic load AWDFLASH.EXE

    after loading, the cursor is at the bottom left and in the AWDFLASh Window
    at the bottom line you can read "Source File Not Found"

    i get no chance, to type in any filename, can leave this screen only with
    reset. strg, alt + del wouldn't work.

    Greetz Doris

    Hi,

    i have fixed one Problem to get an other.:(

    First problern was the AWDFLASH from the ASUS site. It's V8.24b and didn't
    work in this case. I've tried the one from the CD (8.23z) and now it loads
    the BIOS File. But after loading, i get this message:

    The program file's BIOS-Lock String
    does not match with your system

    i've tried with all BIOS versions (1006, 1007, 1008 and 1011), the message
    is always the same. Any idea?

    Greetz Doris

    Doris Heid wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > i have fixed one Problem to get an other.:(
    >
    > First problern was the AWDFLASH from the ASUS site. It's V8.24b and didn't
    > work in this case. I've tried the one from the CD (8.23z) and now it loads
    > the BIOS File. But after loading, i get this message:
    >
    > The program file's BIOS-Lock String
    > does not match with your system
    >
    > i've tried with all BIOS versions (1006, 1007, 1008 and 1011), the message
    > is always the same. Any idea?
    >
    > Greetz Doris

    Doris,
    Are you able to use ALT + F2 when the system first begins to POST? If
    so, then it should take you to the built-in AWDFLASH Utility. After you
    have unzipped the BIOS file you downloaded, you may need to change/add
    the .bin on the end. After the built-in program starts, it will ask the
    name of the file, on the floppy, to program. I think it wants to see
    just "1011.bin" typed there. That should start the process. HTH.

    Rob

    Doris Heid wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > i have fixed one Problem to get an other.:(
    >
    > First problern was the AWDFLASH from the ASUS site. It's V8.24b and didn't
    > work in this case. I've tried the one from the CD (8.23z) and now it loads
    > the BIOS File. But after loading, i get this message:
    >
    > The program file's BIOS-Lock String
    > does not match with your system
    >
    > i've tried with all BIOS versions (1006, 1007, 1008 and 1011), the message
    > is always the same. Any idea?
    >
    > Greetz Doris

    doris, make ABSOLUTELY SURE you got the right bios for the right board in
    the first place.
    You are probably getting bios for A7N8X-deluxe and not A7N8X E-deluxe

    you do not want to screw this up

    gordon

    > Hi Ken,
    >
    > "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote
    >
    > > You have a startup floppy disk with awdflash.exe and the
    > > new BIOS file you have named 1011.bin?
    > >
    > > You start your system with that floppy in the drive, and
    > > type "awdflash"? Then you enter "A:\1011.bin"?
    > >
    > > You have nothing good to save so you enter No to the
    > > save question.
    > >
    > > And now you get the error msg "Source File Not Found!"?
    >
    > no...no..no.. ;-)
    >
    > okay, maybe my first discription was not complete...there is no
    boot..first
    > thing i see is:
    >
    > AWARD BootBlock BIOS V1.0
    > Copyright blabla...
    >
    > BIOS ROM checksum error
    >
    > Detecting floppy drive A media ...
    > INSERT SYSTEM DISk AND PRESS ENTER
    >
    > on this disk is the latest awdflash.exe and the 1011.bin. i insert it and
    > press enter. The next is the following line:

    What is this:?
    > Automatic load AWDFLASH.EXE

    Are you saying that you see "Automatic load AWDFLASH.EXE"
    displayed on your screen?

    > after loading, the cursor is at the bottom left and in the AWDFLASh Window
    > at the bottom line you can read "Source File Not Found"
    >
    > i get no chance, to type in any filename, can leave this screen only with
    > reset. strg, alt + del wouldn't work.
    >
    > Greetz Doris

    This sounds like you somehow have a floppy startup disk
    that has an autoexec.bat with a line like:
    "awdflash A:\XXXXX.XXX /x/x/x"

    Where the file named is not your 1011.bin or is not exactly
    entered right.

    What is on that floppy? And if it has an autoexec.bat, what's
    in it?

    Luck;
    Ken

    HI

    Doris wrote:
    >Hi @ all,
    >
    >a friend of mine has an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and has killed his Bios by try
    >to update it from a defect floppy. So I have downloaded the actually BIOS
    >File from ASUS (1011). I did a CMOS CLEAR and when booting the board wants a
    >disk awdflash (also downloaded from ASUS) and the BIOS File. In the Manual
    >in 4.2 they told me to rename the file to A7N8X-E.ROM but everytime awdflash
    >says "Source File Not Found!". So, is there anyone out there, who knows the
    >correct name??
    >
    >Please excuse my bad english...i'am from germany. ;-)
    >
    >Greetz Doris

    I think you had 'killed' your Bios-chip program, and that is not
    so funny. If that's the case you have 3 possible solutions:

    1. The cheapest one
    If your board is still under warranty then try to get a new one
    for free. You have to lye a little so maybe you have to ask 'a
    good friend' to do it for you! ;)

    2. Bay a new Bios-chip. Cost and can take weeks to get.

    3. Let a computer freak perform a 'Hot swap'. I think a Coke, two
    beers or a bottle of vine can do! ;) He/she must have your PC and
    another PC with exactly the same ASUS board as yours. Ask around
    in your local area (computer clubs and so).

    Personally I got the feeling that you are a little to active
    lady, so please don't play with Bios anymore - they don't like
    it!! ;)

    And please excuse my bad English ...I'm from Denmark. ;)

    Good luck

    Henning

Asus BIOS Motherboards