Got a question on Intel CPU thermal specs

What exactly does Asus Probe measure when measuring CPU temperature? For my
CPU, intel's specs list a recommended max of
38 degrees Celcius for the maximum recommended fan inlet temperature, and a
maximum case temp of 73.2 degrees. Is this what's measured by Asus Probe?

I'm running a P4 3.2E

Thanks!

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:02:05 GMT, "JugHead McGraw" <test@me.com> wrote:

>What exactly does Asus Probe measure when measuring CPU temperature? For my
>CPU, intel's specs list a recommended max of
>38 degrees Celcius for the maximum recommended fan inlet temperature, and a
>maximum case temp of 73.2 degrees. Is this what's measured by Asus Probe?
>
>I'm running a P4 3.2E

P4's have a diode on-die that is plumbed into the hardware monitor. Software
reading the appropriate hardware monitor channel gets die temp readings...

Thanks for the info. One followup question. Intel doesn't list acceptable
die temps in their thermal specs, or at least not on the page I looked at.
Do you know where I could find that, or at least whether or not die twmps
are higher than fan inlet temps. Thanks again