clayton

What would the difference be in performance between a system running

Intel 850 Chipset
Pentium 4, 2.4GHz 400FSB CPU
512MB ECC PC800 RAMBUS Memory

To a system running

Intel 875P Chipset
Pentium 4, 3.2GHz 800FSB CPU
512MB No-ECC DDR400 PC3200 Memory

Just curious

zaphod

Depends what your doing with the PC most of the time, if
its gaming then you should note a good change in the
graphics abilities (dependent on the graphics card as
well). I have virtually the setup you asked about except
for having the 865PE chipset. Its a rocketship for games,
opening applications seems fast however my step up to my
setup was from a 750MHz AMD 320MB RAM so the difference
was hugely noticeable.

You would not notice a really big difference.

Bill Crocker

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> What would the difference be in performance between a system running
>
> Intel 850 Chipset
> Pentium 4, 2.4GHz 400FSB CPU
> 512MB ECC PC800 RAMBUS Memory
>
> To a system running
>
> Intel 875P Chipset
> Pentium 4, 3.2GHz 800FSB CPU
> 512MB No-ECC DDR400 PC3200 Memory
>
> Just curious

"life will rock with the latter one!"

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> What would the difference be in performance between a system running
>
> Intel 850 Chipset
> Pentium 4, 2.4GHz 400FSB CPU
> 512MB ECC PC800 RAMBUS Memory
>
> To a system running
>
> Intel 875P Chipset
> Pentium 4, 3.2GHz 800FSB CPU
> 512MB No-ECC DDR400 PC3200 Memory
>
> Just curious

Disk access will be faster on the FSB. the PC 3200 RAM is 4
this faster than the PC 800, depending in the CPU cache the
CPU will be faster or very much faster, in any case the CPU
will be noticeably faster, the new mobo have USB 2.0 and
many more ports, so input/output should be more versatile.
ECC RAM may be slower but have an undetectable small
advantage in accuracy for data such as spreadsheets. ECC has
no advantage for most users not running servers.