P4S800 on board sound problem?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2004 3:59:09 PM

Friend built a comp around this great little board, running win xp pro.. He
is having trouble getting the on-board sound to work. I am unfamiliar with
this board, but is there something in the setup to enable/disable the
onboard sound? I am trying to help him over the phone and we could not find
it in the setup, but I am sure we are not looking in the right place.

also, it's worth asking if there are any known issues with this board
running xp pro and the onboard sound?

any input would be greatly appreciated.

tia,

jay cee
July 3, 2004 5:32:47 PM

In article <cc6frg$d3g$1@nntp-stjh-01-01.rogers.nf.net>, "Jay Cee"
<no@spam.please> wrote:

> Friend built a comp around this great little board, running win xp pro.. He
> is having trouble getting the on-board sound to work. I am unfamiliar with
> this board, but is there something in the setup to enable/disable the
> onboard sound? I am trying to help him over the phone and we could not find
> it in the setup, but I am sure we are not looking in the right place.
>
> also, it's worth asking if there are any known issues with this board
> running xp pro and the onboard sound?
>
> any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> tia,
>
> jay cee

1) Onboard AC97 Audio Controller [Auto]
(See Advanced:p CI_Configuration:o nboard_PCI_Devices)

2) Place the two jumpers on the FP_AUDIO header.

3) Install a Soundmax driver version appropriate for an SIS
Southbridge with connected AC97 CODEC AD1980 (Analog Devices)

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?Model...

4) Plug amplified speakers or a headset into the lime colored
Lineout jack on the back of the computer.

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2004 2:01:19 AM

thanks - i will post the results!

jay cee

> In article <cc6frg$d3g$1@nntp-stjh-01-01.rogers.nf.net>, "Jay Cee"
> <no@spam.please> wrote:
>
> > Friend built a comp around this great little board, running win xp pro..
He
> > is having trouble getting the on-board sound to work. I am unfamiliar
with
> > this board, but is there something in the setup to enable/disable the
> > onboard sound? I am trying to help him over the phone and we could not
find
> > it in the setup, but I am sure we are not looking in the right place.
> >
> > also, it's worth asking if there are any known issues with this board
> > running xp pro and the onboard sound?
> >
> > any input would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > tia,
> >
> > jay cee
>
> 1) Onboard AC97 Audio Controller [Auto]
> (See Advanced:p CI_Configuration:o nboard_PCI_Devices)
>
> 2) Place the two jumpers on the FP_AUDIO header.
>
> 3) Install a Soundmax driver version appropriate for an SIS
> Southbridge with connected AC97 CODEC AD1980 (Analog Devices)

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?Model...

> 4) Plug amplified speakers or a headset into the lime colored
> Lineout jack on the back of the computer.
>
> HTH,
> Paul
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2004 9:06:04 PM

i installed the new soundmax drivers from asus' webpage and all is
fine...thnx.

jay cee

"Jay Cee" <no@spam.please> wrote in message
> thanks - i will post the results!
>
> jay cee

> > In article <cc6frg$d3g$1@nntp-stjh-01-01.rogers.nf.net>, "Jay Cee"
> > <no@spam.please> wrote:
> >
> > > Friend built a comp around this great little board, running win xp
pro..
> He
> > > is having trouble getting the on-board sound to work. I am unfamiliar
> with
> > > this board, but is there something in the setup to enable/disable the
> > > onboard sound? I am trying to help him over the phone and we could not
> find
> > > it in the setup, but I am sure we are not looking in the right place.
> > >
> > > also, it's worth asking if there are any known issues with this board
> > > running xp pro and the onboard sound?
> > >
> > > any input would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > tia,
> > >
> > > jay cee
> >
> > 1) Onboard AC97 Audio Controller [Auto]
> > (See Advanced:p CI_Configuration:o nboard_PCI_Devices)
> >
> > 2) Place the two jumpers on the FP_AUDIO header.
> >
> > 3) Install a Soundmax driver version appropriate for an SIS
> > Southbridge with connected AC97 CODEC AD1980 (Analog Devices)

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?Model...

> > 4) Plug amplified speakers or a headset into the lime colored
> > Lineout jack on the back of the computer.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Paul

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 13, 2004 10:25:15 PM

I'm having a similar problem. The drivers are apparently working
fine, and the system thinks it's playing sound, but nothing is
audible. The speakers are in the right jack, the volume isn't muted,
the AC97 controller is set on "auto" in the BIOS, and I installed the
driver that was linked to earlier in this thread. But no sound. Any
more ideas?

!