Print Drivers for Windows 95

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b \ Driver
April 21, 2004 3:06:37 AM

My stepmother has an old computer that works fine, but it is running
Windows 95. I would like to add a printer like a Canon i560, but it
does not seem to come with a Windows 95 driver.

Will the W98 driver work? Do we need a fancy driver at all, since she
will be doing only basic printing?

More about : print drivers windows

April 21, 2004 5:06:48 AM

napper <napper@NOSPAM.nc.rr.com> wrote in message news:<6vab809hbjol6st3qk83icj3vjfj8eol3l@4ax.com>...
> My stepmother has an old computer that works fine, but it is running
> Windows 95. I would like to add a printer like a Canon i560, but it
> does not seem to come with a Windows 95 driver.

According to <http://www.canon.com.au/products/home_office/printers/c...;
the i560 is compatible with Win95. Generally, software for Win95 and
98 is compatible, so the 98 driver will probably work.

> Will the W98 driver work? Do we need a fancy driver at all, since she
> will be doing only basic printing?

Every printer needs a driver. Most inkjet printers won't work at all
without a specific driver from the manufacturer.

Anyway, if by "basic printing" you mean black text, you could get a
laser. They cost more initially but the toner is much cheaper per page
than ink printers, and so is the paper. For the most compatibiity look
for a PCL one -- these will work with any OS. Also note that you can't
use USB with Win95, though I believe Win95B did include USB support.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
April 21, 2004 11:47:23 PM

i560 is supported under many OS and languages including Win95/98 -

Latest European language drivers for Canon products at:
http://software.canon-europe.com

specifically:
http://software.canon-europe.com/Printers/Bubble_Jet_Pr...

e.g English language version:
BJ Printer Driver for Windows 95/98/ME (v8.01)
Operating system(s): Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows ME

"napper" <napper@NOSPAM.nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> My stepmother has an old computer that works fine, but it is running
> Windows 95. I would like to add a printer like a Canon i560, but it
> does not seem to come with a Windows 95 driver.
>
> Will the W98 driver work? Do we need a fancy driver at all, since she
> will be doing only basic printing?

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
April 22, 2004 3:08:21 AM

Interesting. The positive responses come from Europe and Australia;
the US drivers do not mention W95.

But there seems to be some practical considerations. The driver size
is about 7MB and comes on CD or internet download. Neither is possible
with this W95 machine. I can zip up the driver onto diskettes on my
personal XP machine. Maybe I should try to install the driver before I
buy the printer to be sure it will install...

!