Print Drivers for Windows 95

My stepmother has an old computer that works fine, but it is running
Windows 95. I would like to add a printer like a Canon i560, but it
does not seem to come with a Windows 95 driver.

Will the W98 driver work? Do we need a fancy driver at all, since she
will be doing only basic printing?
3 answers Last reply
More about print drivers windows

    napper <napper@NOSPAM.nc.rr.com> wrote in message news:<6vab809hbjol6st3qk83icj3vjfj8eol3l@4ax.com>...
    > My stepmother has an old computer that works fine, but it is running
    > Windows 95. I would like to add a printer like a Canon i560, but it
    > does not seem to come with a Windows 95 driver.

    According to <http://www.canon.com.au/products/home_office/printers/colour_bj_printers/i560_specs.html>
    the i560 is compatible with Win95. Generally, software for Win95 and
    98 is compatible, so the 98 driver will probably work.

    > Will the W98 driver work? Do we need a fancy driver at all, since she
    > will be doing only basic printing?

    Every printer needs a driver. Most inkjet printers won't work at all
    without a specific driver from the manufacturer.

    Anyway, if by "basic printing" you mean black text, you could get a
    laser. They cost more initially but the toner is much cheaper per page
    than ink printers, and so is the paper. For the most compatibiity look
    for a PCL one -- these will work with any OS. Also note that you can't
    use USB with Win95, though I believe Win95B did include USB support.

    i560 is supported under many OS and languages including Win95/98 -

    Latest European language drivers for Canon products at:
    http://software.canon-europe.com

    specifically:
    http://software.canon-europe.com/Printers/Bubble_Jet_Printers/i56010001.asp

    e.g English language version:
    BJ Printer Driver for Windows 95/98/ME (v8.01)
    Operating system(s): Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows ME

    "napper" <napper@NOSPAM.nc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > My stepmother has an old computer that works fine, but it is running
    > Windows 95. I would like to add a printer like a Canon i560, but it
    > does not seem to come with a Windows 95 driver.
    >
    > Will the W98 driver work? Do we need a fancy driver at all, since she
    > will be doing only basic printing?

    Interesting. The positive responses come from Europe and Australia;
    the US drivers do not mention W95.

    But there seems to be some practical considerations. The driver size
    is about 7MB and comes on CD or internet download. Neither is possible
    with this W95 machine. I can zip up the driver onto diskettes on my
    personal XP machine. Maybe I should try to install the driver before I
    buy the printer to be sure it will install...

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:47:23 +0000 (UTC), "John Turnbull"
    <j.h.turnbull@hatespam.btinternet.com> wrote:

    >i560 is supported under many OS and languages including Win95/98 -
    >
    >Latest European language drivers for Canon products at:
    >http://software.canon-europe.com
    >
    >specifically:
    >http://software.canon-europe.com/Printers/Bubble_Jet_Printers/i56010001.asp
    >
    >e.g English language version:
    >BJ Printer Driver for Windows 95/98/ME (v8.01)
    >Operating system(s): Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows ME
    >
    >"napper" <napper@NOSPAM.nc.rr.com> wrote in message

Printers Drivers Windows 95 Peripherals