Using 2 hard drives

May 23, 2004 7:51:24 PM

Hello,

Is it possible for me to install a third hard drive on a
system that already has a CDRW and CDROM drive?

It has 2 IDE (the slots on the motherboard, not sure of
theire name), and they are already being used. One
connects two existing hard drives (80GB and 40GB). The
other supports a CDRW and a CDROM. Can I get a cable that
will alow me to add the third hard drive, which is at
present a 10GB (with a possibilty of moving to a 120GB, if
it can be done)?????

You are welcome to email me the response on my email, but
do post message here should someonelse wishes to be as
crazy as I am.

Thanks

More about : hard drives

Anonymous
May 23, 2004 10:10:07 PM

Buy a PCI card that supports more IDE and maybe even SATA
drives, it can also RAID. Promise and Maxtor and other
companies make such cards.

"Moyah" <mo888ya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| Is it possible for me to install a third hard drive on a
| system that already has a CDRW and CDROM drive?
|
| It has 2 IDE (the slots on the motherboard, not sure of
| theire name), and they are already being used. One
| connects two existing hard drives (80GB and 40GB). The
| other supports a CDRW and a CDROM. Can I get a cable that
| will alow me to add the third hard drive, which is at
| present a 10GB (with a possibilty of moving to a 120GB, if
| it can be done)?????
|
| You are welcome to email me the response on my email, but
| do post message here should someonelse wishes to be as
| crazy as I am.
|
| Thanks
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 4:06:54 AM

Moyah wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible for me to install a third hard drive on a
> system that already has a CDRW and CDROM drive?
>
> It has 2 IDE (the slots on the motherboard, not sure of
> theire name), and they are already being used. One
> connects two existing hard drives (80GB and 40GB). The
> other supports a CDRW and a CDROM. Can I get a cable that
> will alow me to add the third hard drive, which is at
> present a 10GB (with a possibilty of moving to a 120GB, if
> it can be done)?????
>
> You are welcome to email me the response on my email, but
> do post message here should someonelse wishes to be as
> crazy as I am.
>
> Thanks

A standard IDE port can only support a maximum of two devices - a master and
a slave. As you've used your quota you will need to purchase a PCI
controller card (some drives are even sold with them), plug it in and
connect the drive to that. You will then have the option of adding one
further drive, should you so desire.
May 24, 2004 4:06:55 AM

Cerridwen wrote:
> A standard IDE port can only support a maximum of two devices - a
> master and a slave. As you've used your quota you will need to
> purchase a PCI controller card (some drives are even sold with them),
> plug it in and connect the drive to that. You will then have the
> option of adding one further drive, should you so desire.

I have several systems with 5 or more IDE drives. Simply put, I have a RAID
IDE or other IDE controller and the original one that came with the system..
As Cerridwen says - get more hardware.

--
<- Shenan ->
May 24, 2004 7:31:32 AM

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Moyah wrote:
>> Is it possible for me to install a third hard drive on a
>> system that already has a CDRW and CDROM drive?
>>
>> It has 2 IDE (the slots on the motherboard, not sure of
>> theire name), and they are already being used. One
>> connects two existing hard drives (80GB and 40GB). The
>> other supports a CDRW and a CDROM. Can I get a cable that
>> will alow me to add the third hard drive, which is at
>> present a 10GB (with a possibilty of moving to a 120GB, if
>> it can be done)?????
>>
>> You are welcome to email me the response on my email, but
>> do post message here should someonelse wishes to be as
>> crazy as I am.
>
> Cerridwen wrote:
>> A standard IDE port can only support a maximum of two devices - a
>> master and a slave. As you've used your quota you will need to
>> purchase a PCI controller card (some drives are even sold with them),
>> plug it in and connect the drive to that. You will then have the
>> option of adding one further drive, should you so desire.
>

> I have several systems with 5 or more IDE drives. Simply put, I have
> a RAID IDE or other IDE controller and the original one that came
> with the system.. As Cerridwen says - get more hardware.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

True, I just assumed he didn't (and I didn't want to complicate the issue by
mentioning it). I, too, have four IDEs in a RAID array in this system, and
will have two S-ATAs in my new one.

He just seemed a little confused that's all, and I didn't want to confuse
him further (I guess I assumed he wouldn't know what RAID was).
!