feel shortchanged by Canon

Hi,

I just finished hooking up a shiny new Canon i960. As far as I could,
anyway.

It's been some time since I bought a printer, but I've always known
that essential connecting cables come with new pieces of equipment.
Yet, the essential USB printer cable for the i960 is nowhere to be
seen.

Neither is it mentioned on the box that one must shell out extra while
still in the store, to get the printer doing anything.

I think that kind of blows-

James
jcanning@rochester.rr.com
20 answers Last reply
More about feel shortchanged canon

    That's pretty standard for printers & scanners. I don't think they used to
    give you a parallel cable either.

    Don

    Don wrote:

    >That's pretty standard for printers & scanners. I don't think they used to
    >give you a parallel cable either.

    It's standard now, but when parallel cable was your only choice they
    included a cable in the box.

    Since there are two options now, they don't include a cable so you have
    the choice of buying the right cable for your setup. Eventually all
    printers will be USB only, and they may start to put cables in the boxes
    again. But for now, you need to buy the cable that suits your needs and
    configuration.

    Of course, if USB is the only connection option, then it should be
    included in the box. :)

    The i960 ONLY comes with a USB connection BUT have two USB slots, one for
    USB 1.1 and the other USB 2.0

    THEY did not provide a cable with mine either

    rule of thumb NEVER give up your cables :)

    "Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:mI6dnWUjoPzdyhvdRVn-jA@golden.net...
    : Don wrote:
    :
    : >That's pretty standard for printers & scanners. I don't think they used
    : >give you a parallel cable either.
    :
    : It's standard now, but when parallel cable was your only choice they
    : included a cable in the box.
    :
    : Since there are two options now, they don't include a cable so you have
    : the choice of buying the right cable for your setup. Eventually all
    : printers will be USB only, and they may start to put cables in the boxes
    : again. But for now, you need to buy the cable that suits your needs and
    : configuration.
    :
    : Of course, if USB is the only connection option, then it should be
    : included in the box. :)

    My i560 is both, USB or parallel and it came with a USB cable.

    Bill wrote:
    > Don wrote:
    >

    >>That's pretty standard for printers & scanners. I don't think they used to
    >>give you a parallel cable either.
    >

    > It's standard now, but when parallel cable was your only choice they
    > included a cable in the box.
    >
    > Since there are two options now, they don't include a cable so you have
    > the choice of buying the right cable for your setup. Eventually all
    > printers will be USB only, and they may start to put cables in the boxes
    > again. But for now, you need to buy the cable that suits your needs and
    > configuration.
    >
    > Of course, if USB is the only connection option, then it should be
    > included in the box. :)

    Printers have pretty much never included the cable in the box. Even HP says
    so in their "Guide to Printing" or some such.
    This said, I am sure someone here will remember a time when they did, but
    that would be ancient history.
    Also, BTW, for the most part today printers no longer offer a choice as
    parallel has gone by the wayside, and most printers now only support USB.

    As to whether a cable should be included, take it from personal experience,
    if a company were to include a cable and raise the price accordingly, they
    would surely suffer in the marketplace.

    --

    "The human adventure is just beginning"

    "Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:mI6dnWUjoPzdyhvdRVn-jA@golden.net...
    > Don wrote:
    >
    > >That's pretty standard for printers & scanners. I don't think they used
    > >give you a parallel cable either.
    >
    > It's standard now, but when parallel cable was your only choice they
    > included a cable in the box.
    >
    > Since there are two options now, they don't include a cable so you have
    > the choice of buying the right cable for your setup. Eventually all
    > printers will be USB only, and they may start to put cables in the boxes
    > again. But for now, you need to buy the cable that suits your needs and
    > configuration.
    >
    > Of course, if USB is the only connection option, then it should be
    > included in the box. :)

    Jeez, I've got USB cables all over the place, come over and get one!

    "brocpuffs" <brocpuffs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just finished hooking up a shiny new Canon i960. As far as I could,
    > anyway.
    >
    > It's been some time since I bought a printer, but I've always known
    > that essential connecting cables come with new pieces of equipment.
    > Yet, the essential USB printer cable for the i960 is nowhere to be
    > seen.
    >
    > Neither is it mentioned on the box that one must shell out extra while
    > still in the store, to get the printer doing anything.
    >
    > I think that kind of blows-
    >
    > James
    > jcanning@rochester.rr.com

    WHAT IS YOUR ADDRESS??

    "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
    : Jeez, I've got USB cables all over the place, come over and get one!
    :
    :
    :
    : "brocpuffs" <brocpuffs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : news:a2pb80dt8kd6l04gaagp3025po20jnid0j@4ax.com...
    : > Hi,
    : >

    raysaun wrote:

    >My i560 is both, USB or parallel and it came with a USB cable.

    I'll bet you bought your printer at Sam's Club.

    :)

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:27:53 -0600, "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:

    >Jeez, I've got USB cables all over the place, come over and get one!

    Damn! Just bought one.

    James
    jcanning@rochester.rr.com

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:53:55 GMT, "C0mdrData"
    <C0mdrData@NOSPAMfrontiernet.net> wrote:

    >Printers have pretty much never included the cable in the box. Even HP says
    >so in their "Guide to Printing" or some such.
    >This said, I am sure someone here will remember a time when they did, but
    >that would be ancient history.

    Somebody did :-)

    Who's ancient history?! My late lamented printer was a Canon 7004,
    nothing but parallel. Don't remember if it came with a cable, probably
    not. Most printers then were parallel.

    >Also, BTW, for the most part today printers no longer offer a choice as
    >parallel has gone by the wayside, and most printers now only support USB.

    Well that happened after I got my Canon 7004-
    While I agree that including a cable would take the price up, I thing
    it would be tolerably inexpensive to print "cable not included"
    somewheres on the box.

    "What, that would discourage ignorant customers," one might say? Well
    then it says "ah let 'em find out for themselves".

    James
    jcanning@rochester.rr.com

    > On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:53:55 GMT, "C0mdrData"
    > <C0mdrData@NOSPAMfrontiernet.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Printers have pretty much never included the cable in the box. Even HP
    says
    > >so in their "Guide to Printing" or some such.
    > >This said, I am sure someone here will remember a time when they did, but
    > >that would be ancient history.
    >
    > Somebody did :-)
    >
    > Who's ancient history?! My late lamented printer was a Canon 7004,
    > nothing but parallel. Don't remember if it came with a cable, probably
    > not. Most printers then were parallel.

    "Ancient History" referred to the possibility of cables being included. The
    elimination of parallel connections is a recent development. I am still
    using a parallel connection on my HP DJ882C on my secondary computer, as
    only the parallel connection provides bidirectional communication.

    > >Also, BTW, for the most part today printers no longer offer a choice as
    > >parallel has gone by the wayside, and most printers now only support USB.
    >
    > Well that happened after I got my Canon 7004-
    > While I agree that including a cable would take the price up, I thing
    > it would be tolerably inexpensive to print "cable not included"
    > somewheres on the box.

    HP is now starting to print that on their boxes...although it is easily
    missed.

    --

    "The human adventure is just beginning"

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:39:32 GMT, "C0mdrData"
    <C0mdrData@NOSPAMfrontiernet.net> found these unused words floating about:

    >"brocpuffs" <brocpuffs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:53:55 GMT, "C0mdrData"
    >> <C0mdrData@NOSPAMfrontiernet.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Printers have pretty much never included the cable in the box. Even HP
    >says
    >> >so in their "Guide to Printing" or some such.
    >> >This said, I am sure someone here will remember a time when they did, but
    >> >that would be ancient history.
    >>
    >> Somebody did :-)
    >>
    >> Who's ancient history?! My late lamented printer was a Canon 7004,
    >> nothing but parallel. Don't remember if it came with a cable, probably
    >> not. Most printers then were parallel.
    >
    >"Ancient History" referred to the possibility of cables being included. The
    >elimination of parallel connections is a recent development. I am still
    >using a parallel connection on my HP DJ882C on my secondary computer, as
    >only the parallel connection provides bidirectional communication.
    >

    >> >Also, BTW, for the most part today printers no longer offer a choice as
    >> >parallel has gone by the wayside, and most printers now only support USB.
    >>
    >> Well that happened after I got my Canon 7004-
    >> While I agree that including a cable would take the price up, I thing
    >> it would be tolerably inexpensive to print "cable not included"
    >> somewheres on the box.
    >
    >HP is now starting to print that on their boxes...although it is easily
    >missed.

    Canon does so with the much earlier i560. Look under "Specifications"
    "Interface" on the side panel ... bet the 7004 says something there!

    >> "What, that would discourage ignorant customers," one might say? Well
    >> then it says "ah let 'em find out for themselves".
    >>
    >> James
    >> jcanning@rochester.rr.com

    "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
    > Jeez, I've got USB cables all over the place, come over and get one!

    That's kind of the point. They're so reasonably priced that you've got a
    zillion of them... Me too. Probably half this group does. Do you think
    CANON could afford to give the OP one as a throw in with his newly bought
    printer. Bought in bulk, could they cost more than $0.25 each??? If I were
    indifferently looking at printers and one box proclaimed "Quality USB Cable
    included - $20 Value!" and another scribbled in tiny legalese print "Cable
    Not Included", guess which box would get the first closer look?

    My Canon flatbed came with a USB cable and I thought that was a nice touch.

    Bob Kos wrote:
    > "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jeez, I've got USB cables all over the place, come over and get one!
    >>

    > That's kind of the point. They're so reasonably priced that you've got a
    > zillion of them... Me too. Probably half this group does. Do you think
    > CANON could afford to give the OP one as a throw in with his newly bought
    > printer. Bought in bulk, could they cost more than $0.25 each??? If I were
    > indifferently looking at printers and one box proclaimed "Quality USB Cable
    > included - $20 Value!" and another scribbled in tiny legalese print "Cable
    > Not Included", guess which box would get the first closer look?
    >
    > My Canon flatbed came with a USB cable and I thought that was a nice touch.

    Printers always used to come with cables, before USB was dreamt up.

    --
    Ben Thomas

    Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the speed
    limit.

    "Bob Kos" <see@text.for.eddress> wrote in message

    > "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
    > > Jeez, I've got USB cables all over the place, come over and get one!
    > >

    > That's kind of the point. They're so reasonably priced that you've got a
    > zillion of them... Me too. Probably half this group does. Do you think
    > CANON could afford to give the OP one as a throw in with his newly bought
    > printer. Bought in bulk, could they cost more than $0.25 each??? If I
    were
    > indifferently looking at printers and one box proclaimed "Quality USB
    Cable
    > included - $20 Value!" and another scribbled in tiny legalese print "Cable
    > Not Included", guess which box would get the first closer look?

    The one with the lower price. Its an unfortunate fact.

    "BenOne©" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
    > Bob Kos wrote:
    > > "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Jeez, I've got USB cables all over the place, come over and get one!
    > >>

    > > That's kind of the point. They're so reasonably priced that you've got
    > > zillion of them... Me too. Probably half this group does. Do you
    think
    > > CANON could afford to give the OP one as a throw in with his newly
    bought
    > > printer. Bought in bulk, could they cost more than $0.25 each??? If I
    were
    > > indifferently looking at printers and one box proclaimed "Quality USB
    Cable
    > > included - $20 Value!" and another scribbled in tiny legalese print
    "Cable
    > > Not Included", guess which box would get the first closer look?
    > >
    > > My Canon flatbed came with a USB cable and I thought that was a nice
    touch.

    > Printers always used to come with cables, before USB was dreamt up.

    Absolutely not true. A store use to be able to make a nice living selling
    parallel printer cables. Again, check the HP guide to printing...1st
    edition..

    All-in-ones did include the cable, but not straight printers.
    --

    C0mdrData wrote:

    > Absolutely not true. A store use to be able to make a nice living selling
    > parallel printer cables. Again, check the HP guide to printing...1st
    > edition..
    >
    > All-in-ones did include the cable, but not straight printers.

    Guess we were just lucky with the printers we bought.

    --
    Ben Thomas

    Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the speed
    limit.

    I've bought a lot of printers (in excess of 30) over the years - dot matrix,
    laser, inkjet. Only a couple came with a cable and that was due to some
    special marketing scheme. As I recall, nearly every box was labeled, usually
    in small print, that the cable was not included. Every scanner I've bought
    did come with a cable. For new users, including the cable would be a benefit
    since newbie's wouldn't have a stash of excess cables. Maybe that's why
    Sam's Club includes cables with the Canon printers they are now selling. If
    it cuts down on customer complaints and returns it would be cost effective.
    --
    Ron Cohen

    "BenOne©" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
    > Bob Kos wrote:
    > > "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Jeez, I've got USB cables all over the place, come over and get one!
    > >>

    > > That's kind of the point. They're so reasonably priced that you've got
    > > zillion of them... Me too. Probably half this group does. Do you
    think
    > > CANON could afford to give the OP one as a throw in with his newly
    bought
    > > printer. Bought in bulk, could they cost more than $0.25 each??? If I
    were
    > > indifferently looking at printers and one box proclaimed "Quality USB
    Cable
    > > included - $20 Value!" and another scribbled in tiny legalese print
    "Cable
    > > Not Included", guess which box would get the first closer look?
    > >
    > > My Canon flatbed came with a USB cable and I thought that was a nice
    touch.

    > Printers always used to come with cables, before USB was dreamt up.
    >
    > --
    > Ben Thomas
    >
    > Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the
    speed
    > limit.

    ---
    AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

    Life is fun wrote:

    > The i960 ONLY comes with a USB connection BUT have two USB slots, one for
    > USB 1.1 and the other USB 2.0
    >
    > THEY did not provide a cable with mine either
    >
    > rule of thumb NEVER give up your cables :)

    my partner would suggest otherwise, I have boxes of cables that
    apparently waste alot of room :)

    brocpuffs wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just finished hooking up a shiny new Canon i960. As far as I could,
    > anyway.
    >
    > It's been some time since I bought a printer, but I've always known
    > that essential connecting cables come with new pieces of equipment.
    > Yet, the essential USB printer cable for the i960 is nowhere to be
    > seen.
    >
    > Neither is it mentioned on the box that one must shell out extra while
    > still in the store, to get the printer doing anything.
    >
    > I think that kind of blows-

    Bought a r210 yesterday and convinced the guy to throw one in with the
    printer, saved me A$20.

    a.

Printers Canon Cable Peripherals Product